FAI (First Article Inspection) per AS9102 Form 2, sections 5 & 6 question

B

BatteryMan

Hi All, :bigwave:

I'm new here. Great site! Tons of valuable info.

I have a question regarding AS9102 Form2. I'm not sure I really understand what's being asked for in sections 5 & 6.

Summary: We build custom battery assemblies. We've just started a new project and our customer, in the aerospace industry, is requiring a FAI per AS9102.

Assembly is made of: 1)Battery Cell 2)Contact Block 3)Kapton Tape
We list all of these components on Form1, sections 15 & 16

Assembly procedure:
1) Trim Battery tabs to spec. length
2) Align Battery Tabs with Contact Blocks per customer drawing
3) Weld Contact Blocks to Battery Tabs
4) Cover Blocks and Bat. Tabs with Kapton Tape, leaving a small potion exposed

What do I put on Form2?!? The welding is done to our internal specifications and I'm not aware of any other specifications which would cover it.

I feel like I'm missing something easy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
:thanks:

A

andygr

Re: FAI per AS9102 Form 2, sections 5 & 6 question

On form 2 section 5 and 6 you would enter the materials used and the spec or document you purchased them to.
When covering a process such as welding where you work to an internal spec insted of an industry or customer spec you would list your internal spec as the controling document. Make sure that you include the revision.
Just lists the parts and then all the applicable special process you perform on that part.

Of course the question comes up what process are special. You customer is the final authority but for aerospace use the Nadcap listing as a start.
:2cents:

F

Frank T.

Lets start by saying welcome to the cove. :bigwave:

Form 2, numbers 5 and 6, as per stated in AS9102A

5) (CR) Material or Process: Enter the name of material or process.

6) (CR) Specification: Enter material or process specifications number (include permitted
alternates, if used), class, and material form (e.g., sheet, bar, etc.). Include all
“Make From” materials that are incorporated into the FAI part. For raw materials,
include all materials that are incorporated into the FAI part, (e.g., weld/braze filler
materials, balls for ball brazing, etc.), and Standard Catalog hardware (e.g., AN,
MS fasteners); but do not include processing materials such as acid etchants.

Hope this gives you an idea......

B

BatteryMan

Thanks andygr and Frank T.,:agree1:

I think I understand now.

I saw an example in a different thread here and what I failed to realize is the Form1 and Form2 examples were different FAI reports. I was trying to correlate the information on the two forms and it wasn't making sense.

Can you tell me if we are required to provide any additional documentation with the FAI report for the parts used? Specification or CofC's or both?

Thanks again!!!
:thanx:

A

andygr

Just enter your CofC' and for special process enter you customers approval code or Nadcap cert number.

F

Frank T.

Can you tell me if we are required to provide any additional documentation with the FAI report for the parts used? Specification or CofC's or both?

The only additional info. I usually include with the F.A.I. are:

Forms 1,2 and 3
Copy of the material certs., special process certs as well, if applicable.
and marked-up/ballooned drawing.

And last but not least any other documents as required by the customer. If none are required than just whats listed above.

B

BatteryMan

Great info.

Thanks for all the help. :D

B

BatteryMan

o.k., one last question..... :confused:

Again regarding Form 2,

Say we use 2 of the previously mentioned sub-assemblies in the top level assembly. On Form 2, do we list the sub-assemblies or the individual components making up the sub-assemblies?

Are sub-assemblies even to be listed on Form 2?

I guess that's two questions...

Thanks!!! :D

F

Frank T.

Sub-assemblies are to be listed on Form 1, in the numbers listed below:

15, 16, and 17: This section is required only if the part number in Field 1 is an assembly.

15) (CR) Part Number: Detail or next level sub-assembly part number to be included in the assembly.
16) (CR) Part Name , as shown on the drawing.
17) (CR) Part Serial Number of the part that is installed in the assembly, when applicable.

Form 2 is basically for listing materials or special processes.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kalvelis

If I understand correctly, Sub-Assemblies are not to include added components for a mixed manufacture item (item with added commercial components, this would be a "Detail FAI" and not have sub assembly parts.

Top Bottom