FAI (First Article Inspection) per AS9102A include gen. notes on form 3?

I

insomniacucr

hello,

I'm very new to the AS9100 standards. I was wondering if it is a general requirement to include the general notes listed on the B/P on form 3 of the AS9102A? It is my intuition that those notes are for reference and not necessarily defining characteristics of the product. If they are reference, I believe they may be omitted.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: FAI per AS9102A include gen. notes on form 3?

hello,

I'm very new to the AS9100 standards. I was wondering if it is a general requirement to include the general notes listed on the B/P on form 3 of the AS9102A? It is my intuition that those notes are for reference and not necessarily defining characteristics of the product. If they are reference, I believe they may be omitted.

I believe all notes are to be verified.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

hello,

Hi - welcome to the cove!:bigwave:

Notes do define characteristics of the product - characteristics like heat treat, material type, plating, etc. and are included in both forms 2 and 3 when I submit First Article Inspection. Do the notes on the drawings you're using call out such things?

There are also notes that may add clarification to dimensions on the drawing - in which case I use the same number for the two when I balloon the drawing and I put "Note 2" (or whatever the note designation is) in the "Remarks" column on form 3.

Here's an example - hope it's helpful.:)

Attachments

Last edited:

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator

Notes do define characteristics of the product - characteristics like heat treat, material type, plating, etc. and are included in both forms 2 and 3 when I submit First Article Inspection. Do the notes on the drawings you're using call out such things?

There are also notes that may add clarification to dimensions on the drawing - in which case I use the same number for the two when I balloon the drawing and I put "Note 2" (or whatever the note designation is) in the "Remarks" column on form 3.

Thanks Cari, that's very helpful.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator

You're welcome!:D

I moved this thread from the "forms" forum since this is aerospace specific.

M

Mitsui Seiki

Thank you for the examples.It was very helpful!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K First Article Inspection (FAI) - Equipment used - Dimensions vs. Go/No-Go ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Is a First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure required by ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M FAI AS9102 - What does a First Article Inspection cover? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
U Whether First Article Inspection Report- FAI is mandatory for regular Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
R AS9100 FAI - First Article Inspection to a prior Customers PO AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
G FAI (First Article Inspection) Responsibility - QC or Engineering? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R FAI (First Article Inspection) on source-controlled parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K FAI (First Article Inspection) vs PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 16
T FAI (First Article Inspection) of Large Assemblies/Tooling after move to new building AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
Q FAI IAW AS9102 - First Article Inspection Documentation Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
D AS9102 B (FAI - First Article Inspection) is Released - October 2014 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
A AS9102 First Article Inspection and NC Parts - New FAI? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
D Delta or Partial FAI (First Article Inspection) - What are the differences? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K FAI (First Article Inspection) using Digital Design Data AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
G What is meant by FAI (First Article Inspection) and how do we comply? AS9102 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 26
C Inexperienced Mechanical Inspectors and FAI's (First Article Inspection) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L FAI (First Article Inspection) of Prototype Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S FAI (First Article Inspection) during Assembly of Sub-Assemblies Only AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
F Can you reference original FAI (First Article Inspection) after Delta? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R FAI (First Article Inspection) Report Number Method AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
Z AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) - Is a Ballooned Drawing Required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
H FAI (First Article Inspection) Software Recommendations and Help Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
B AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) per standard or contract? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
L Selling Products Produced before First Article Inspection (FAI) Approval AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E Understanding terminology for FAI (First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T FAI (First Article Inspection) - How many parts are measured AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S FAI (First Article Inspection) and Key Characteristics Requirements - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Full or Partial - Changes to NC programming Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J FAI (First Article Inspection) Do as I say not as I do AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Design Characteristics of the FAI (First Article Inspection) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
P First Article Inspection - FAI for every new product launch AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K Incoming Materials First Article Inspection (FAI) Procedure needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T First Article Inspection - Is FAI Design Verification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
M Measure "TYP" dimensions on a first article inspection (FAI) report? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
I FAI (First Article Inspection) for Bulletproof Glass normally for Autos? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
I FAI (First Article Inspection) for Chemical companies AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Help needed with brilliantly engineered FAI (First Article Inspection) form 3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
gard2372 Our Parent company is our supplier? FAI (First Article Inspection) not required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B FAI (First Article Inspection) per AS9102 Form 2, sections 5 & 6 question Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
T AS9102 FAI (First Article Inspection) Form example Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 35
A AS9100 Clause 8.2.4.2 - First Article Inspection (FAI) - How do you comply? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
M First Article Acceptance FAI Letter and related Letters of Approval Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
A First Article planning - Is an FAI timeline for the product the same thing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T FAI Finding Prevention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L FAI Charge General Auditing Discussions 3
D "FAI" Requirements/Process for New Supplier Materials Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
H FAI Requirement After Moving CNC Machine? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
DuncanGibbons Pre FAI production terminology AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
NDesouza Is my Partial FAI an Assembly or Detail? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R FAI & P.O. Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21