FAI (First Article Inspection) vs PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
PPAP handbook. I suppose that is what people call it as "Bluebook".

It is blueish
PPAPCover.jpg

J

JAltmann

This confirms that as stated PPAP has been hijacked.
Do you require the suppliers to use the AIAG PPAP handbook or your own document?

This forum is about PPAP as mandated by the AIAG.

UTC has their own requirements, but do reference the core tools manuals some (MSA, FMEA, SPC, APQP).

Of additional note Rolls-Royce has beyond using its own version of PPAP and APQP a few years in SABRe2. They also make references to the core tools manuals from AIAG.

GE I believe has also started down the path as it's major competitors.

A

AFGranda

I'd rather say that PPAP is being benchmarking for other industries such Aerospace. However if you look into UTC's own customer requirements, for example Airbus's, nothing is really new in PPAP: DFEMA, PFMEA, control plan, capability studies, process readiness studies are also the same requirements in Airbus's GRAMS (general requirements for aerostructures & material suppliers).

F

Flexible Metals QE

So it's quite simple to understand if you keep the following in mind. This is quickly changing, as military and aero adopt automotive based practices however FAI. Is PART and material focused, less concerned about How you made the part, more concerned on WHAT you end up with. PPAP is focused more on HOW you ended up with the final part and oh by the way, can you continue making it like this for long periods of constant production .

J

joburum

FAI for Aerospace is usually good enough unless PPAP is required by the customer along with it.

PPAP's are definitely more time consuming and come at a higher cost to the customer.

Carlos Saavedra

I was, I am and I will be just a simple...
Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) defines generic requirements for production part approval process, including production and bulk materials.
Its purpose is to determine if all customer engineering design records and specification requirements are properly understood by the supplier and/or vendor, and their processes (organization) have the potential to produce products consistently meeting these requirements during an actual production run at the quoted production rate.

Top Bottom