FAI Prototype Drawing Revision Levels

R

richio343

My question concerns the rev level on drawings used for FAI's. We are using P level drawings to indicate "Prototype" on a project.
I am receiving and performing FAI's from all manufacturers as the project develops using the rev P drawings.

When the project is ready for production, we plan to roll all drawings to rev level A.

I have two questions really.
  • Can we use drawings with a P rev level for FAI's?
  • If so, will we need to perform new FAI's for all parts when the rev levels change to A if the parts do not change from the last P rev level?

I planned on creating document change requests for the drawings stating the rev level change only, and that the part had not changed. Would this work?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
My question concerns the rev level on drawings used for FAI's. We are using P level drawings to indicate "Prototype" on a project.
I am receiving and performing FAI's from all manufacturers as the project develops using the rev P drawings.

When the project is ready for production, we plan to roll all drawings to rev level A.

• If so, will we need to perform new FAI's for all parts when the rev levels change to A if the parts do not change from the last P rev level?
I planned on creating document change requests for the drawings stating the rev level change only, and that the part had not changed. Would this work?

We use X - a similar idea.

FAI's are to be done on a sample of the first run in production. Because production parts are made after the drawing has been released, you would be performing an FAI against the production part that was made using Rev A of the drawing.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Q - Why are you doing a FAI per 9102 on Prototype?

My guess is that you have a lot of resources available and then it's OK - but it does not count towards your AS9102 report.

Remember - Prototype are constantly changing and upgraded.

Read AS9102 Clause 5

5. REQUIREMENTS

5.1 Part Requirements

The Organization shall perform FAI on new Product representative of the First Production Run.

NOTE: For assemblies, the assembly level FAI shall be performed on those characteristics specified on the assembly drawing.

NOTE: The Organization shall not use prototype parts, or parts manufactured using methods different from those intended for the normal production process, for the FAI. This Standard may be used to verify conformance of a prototype part to design requirements.

R

richio343

Thank you for responding. That section is where my question is really coming from. If the FAI must be representative of the first production parts, and nothing in the part changes from the P level drawing to the A level drawing........ "Is the part manufactured with the P level drawing representative of the first production parts?"

We have to submit our product for approval and are producing a number of units specifically for testing. I am trying to avoid 1. Having to recertify production parts because nothing will be different except the rev level of drawing. 2. We are building additional units prior to approval for demo purposes that we will eventually want to use as certified parts.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thank you for responding. That section is where my question is really coming from. If the FAI must be representative of the first production parts, and nothing in the part changes from the P level drawing to the A level drawing........ "Is the part manufactured with the P level drawing representative of the first production parts?"

We have to submit our product for approval and are producing a number of units specifically for testing. I am trying to avoid 1. Having to recertify production parts because nothing will be different except the rev level of drawing. 2. We are building additional units prior to approval for demo purposes that we will eventually want to use as certified parts.

For future reference....

1. Don't waste time with prototype - they will constantly change .... that is why they are prototype.

2. Once in a while - you get a good engineer and ......

3. Pick the second or third part of production when the bugs are out and the machinist is comfortable with the parameters.

4. Submit a representative of production that you know will meet the customer requirements - every time.... (Trust me - you will avoid a lot of headaches) - after all - it is not Quality process - it's Manufacturing process that you are selling to the customer.

Hope this helps - yes, you need to take a representative of production and submitted to the customer via - AS9102.

Top Bottom