FAI Reporting of Downstream Requirements

D

dmsideri

Good afternoon all,

My team is completing a First Article report where a drawing note calls out compliance to a customer shipping instruction (essentially "package different part numbers in individual boxes"). This is not a normal process for my shipping department but I have placed instructions into the system at the PO level, that will flow down to shipping - also have reviewed with shipping personnel - so I am fairly confident it will take place according to spec. However at the point of completion of the first article (final inspection prior to shipment), this characteristic has not been developed and therefore I cannot sign off the first article with "comply".

I feel like, in past lives, there was a particular way to account for this on the FAIR, but I cannot recall it :confused:. We are an ISO9001 registered facility in electronics manufacture and many of our customers are being bought out by the big boys - as such, we are getting more complex product requirements, and I would like to put in place a solid methodology for reporting of these types of subsequently-set dim. I know that I could simply intercept this FAIR and hand-walk it to the point of shipment where the dim would already be set, but want a solid system that fits into current practice.

Anyone have experience on how to report a dim that is not until after the point of inspection?

:thanx:
Domenic Sideri

T

tonefordays

Hi Domenic,

I frequently deal with similar situations at the company I work for. We are a machine shop of 45 employees, not very big, but big enough that things can go south in a hurry if documentation isn't kept up. The way we have been making it work for us, is by capturing the requirement during the quality planning stage (similar to what you're doing is sounds like). When I review the customer requirements, both on the drawings, and purchase orders, I have a checklist that I use to flow down customer requirements. When I get all the documentation together in a production package, that checklist follows the job throughout the production cycle. Everyone involved, from the Production Manager, Shop Foreman, Machinists, Welders, Shipping/Receiving Personnel, Purchasing, etc, will review the checklist when the documentation reaches that point in the process, so everyone responsible is aware of the requirements. Special shipping instructions are also added to a production traveler that follows the FAI part, the traveler is signed off by the person performing the duty, then signed off by an inspector when it's been verified. The way we look at it, the shipping requirement is part of the production, and requires verification and signed off. When the production traveler is complete with all signatures and stamps, at that point the FAI will also be complete. And documentation can be wrapped up.
This isn't a perfect system by any means, there's always room for improvement, but for now, it works nice for the system we use.

I'd also be interested in hearing how others are doing this.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Unless it is a very specific issue only applicable to that part, I would try to get the packaging note removed from the print. It really doesn't belong there. Develop a standard or something applicable similar parts. Packaging requirements change and I would hate to have to change print revs. every time a packaging change is made.

One thing we are required to do is to complete a packaging form which lays out all the packaging requirments -- box size, quantity, weight, and pictures of how the part is packed. So instead of including it on your FAIR, refer to the packaging form. Just a thought. Good luck.

Top Bottom