Failed Calibration - Plain Plug Gages - They grow!

S

SCOTT SNYDER

Has anyone experienced the phenomenon of failed plain plug gauges, specificly the nogo member when the results show that the gauge has grown in size? What i'm talking about is a gauge with a .00006" tol. And the results showing the gauge to be oversize by .00002". The gauge is a class "x" and has passed calibration for the past 3 years. I call this a phenomenon because theoreticly the nogo member never enters the part being checked. I would also mention that the same outside calibration lab has preformed the calibration for the past 4 years. Can anyone shed some light on this subject for me? Any information would be appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
Scott is it possible that the plug has been damaged in some way (ie dropped and/or burred from forcing) by mishandling? If not then I would get another opinion...could it have been cal tech dependant? perhaps the cal lab needs to be involved my guess is the correct tolerance wasn't enforced on the tool used to cal with.. for 3 years if there is no signs of mishandling? What about env conditions and the standard, at that tolerance could that have been a factor?

My guess is you will never know..... if the lab is at fault.

S

SCOTT SNYDER

Barb thank you for the reply. There is always the possibility of undetectable damage. I chose to contact the lab and have the calibration preformed again by another tech.

R

rtaylor

Scott,
Maybe the Lab "Soaked" the gage in a temperature higher that normal. The growth usually is caused by the steel expanding.
Just a thought.
Ron Taylor

S

SCOTT SNYDER

Thanks ron,
both gauges in question have certification showing that the temp at calibration was 70 deg. I believe that should be a normal range. Past calibrations were conducted at 68 deg.

S

SCOTT SNYDER

Well everyone, i received my gauges back from my cal lab. I feel the results are inconclusive. As in any measurment there is variation. The same tech calibrated the gauge this week and low and behold the results are .00007" different. The gauge passed calibration except for the go member which is still oversize. The cal temp was 3 deg different. I would presume that a go gauge could grow by material slowly wearing onto the gauge as it is passed in and out of many parts. This however still sheds no light on my original question that how can nogo members grow, not only plain plugs but also on the nogo members of thread gauges that never enter a part? This is not a new problem but a dilema that has come up time and again. Now what?

G

Grizz1345

Growing Gages

Might I suggest checking a gage when first receiving it. It has been my experience that some gages are made on the high side to allow a longer life time. When I check incoming gages I also have to allow for uncertainty of the equipment that first certified the gage and then my own equipment. Hope this helps. :cool:

Charles Harvey

Inactive Registered Visitor
growing gages

I see quite a few growing gages, especially cylindrical plug gages in larger sizes. Aside from being dropped I have seen a number of oversize gages in trilock handles where the bolt is overtightened and the plug gage bellys out in the middle. The Size Control Company used to make a plug gage lapper that would help correct some of the growing gage issues.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Gage Recall Analysis - Threaded Plug Gage has failed Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
Q Micrometers to Measure Coating Thickness - Failed Calibration Flatness & Parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
D Transformation of Data Normality Failed Using Minitab Software 11
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
A Failed the AS9120B Exam Twice.....Need Help AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
S FDA electronic submission gateway (ESG): FAILED eMDR Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q How to manage with customer % failed product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 105
N Final Inspection Retesting for Failed Batches Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
S Statistics and Sampling - Accounting for Failed Tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
D Failed 350-018 exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
S ISO/TS 16949 In Doldrums - Just failed disappointingly in the ISO9001 System Audit General Auditing Discussions 7
I I failed my CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 21
S Heating Test Failed - Capacitor in secondary exceed its rated temperature IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Marc A NASA Failure Analysis of the April 28 2010 failed balloon launch World News 0
Moncia Traceability System to trace Failed Product for Corrective Action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Marc Saturn: Why one of Detroit?s brightest hopes failed World News 4
R My C=0 sampling failed to detect parts are out of round Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
S Supplier Development Process failed - Question regarding sub-suppiler audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Canadian Medical Device License Requirements - What if we failed to meet it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Readiness Review Failed - Stage one audit for TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Has an Implementation by a Consultant EVER Failed? Consultants and Consulting 62
E Jumpstarting a Failed System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M About companies that have failed a surveillance audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Employee Support after Failed Promotion - Feelings of rejection, disillusionment, etc Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Failed Re-Certifications - 9th Cycle Survey posted on the ISO website Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
B Temperature loop: partial calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Glass scale calibration at 74 degrees F? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
A Digital Timer Calibration Requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Ron Rompen Barcode Verifier Calibration and Use Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Is Optical Parallel Set required calibration? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
A Calibration of Power Supplies AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Calibration or Verification? What terminology to use ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
D Sample Calibration SOP for ISO 13485 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Calibration of Plug Gauges - Tolerancing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
J Documenting a Calibration Interval Extension Calibration Frequency (Interval) 7
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
B Oscilloscope - AC gain calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
G Is it common to do a repeatability check during calibration of an instrument? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A Adjustment of Calibration Intervals (Shortening or Lengthen) Calibration Frequency (Interval) 6
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2