"Failure Mode Effect Analysis" 2nd Ed. by D.H. Stamatis

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
This was an interesting take on a relatively new book. I'm interested enough to buy a copy myself. This commentary appeared in the ASQ Quality Progress Discussion Forum at www.ASQ.org (sorry - members only access to Forums.) - Wes Bucey

While reading "Failure Mode Effect Analysis," Second Edition by D.H. Stamatis (ASQ Quality Press, 2003), I noted the book contains useful audit questions. Although the book is obviously aimed at assessing potential risks, many of the lists suggest pertinent questions for an ISO 9001:2000 process audit. Following are page references:
? pp. 86-87 (13 questions)
? pp. 132-133 (9 questions)
? pp. 160 (13 questions)
? pp. 191-192 (14 questions)
? Appendix B (87 questions pertaining to design review)
? Appendix B (200+ questions pertaining to different aspects of design)

Russ Westcott, ASQ Fellow, CQA, CQManager
President
R.T. Westcott & Associates
Old Saybrook, CT
[email protected]

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Laura M

I had a professor Mason Wescott at Rocester Institute of Technology in the Quality and Applied Statitics program. He was a Deming era guru of stats. Anyone know if its a son/relative?

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Laura M said:
I had a professor Mason Wescott at Rocester Institute of Technology in the Quality and Applied Statitics program. He was a Deming era guru of stats. Anyone know if its a son/relative?
How neat to have studied under one of the guys deemed a "luminary" by ASQ, Laura M.
You might want to copy the ASQ blurb on Mason http://www.asq.org/join/about/history/wescott.html
for your scrapbook. Sorry - no data on connection, if any to Russ. Why not write to Russ directly ([email protected]) and ask, since you have the connection to Mason?

L

Laura M

It was very neat. By the time I had him in '84, he was quite old, and some students didn't appreciate that. I took Theory of Statistics and Sample size determination, which was alot of integrals, formulas and math. If your calculus skills were weak, you had trouble. I had alot of respect for his knowledge, but then again, math came easy to me, so I didn't struggle with that part and was able to focus on the theory. I believe he passed away within the last 5 or 6 years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sean Kelley Seeking Feedback on ASQ Guide to Failure Mode and Effect Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 2
C Failure mode at 0h, vs. 1 year vs. 5 year... FMEA and Control Plans 8
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
A Failure Mode from Operator "Components Fallen but Loaded" FMEA and Control Plans 3
P UFMEA - Use Failure Mode Effects Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 7
J Should failure mode caused by Fixture problem be into PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Would a Leak be a Failure Mode on a Design FMEA? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
A Destructive Testing Failure Mode Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A FPA (Failure Prevention Analysis) and FMA (Failure Mode Avoidance) info wanted FMEA and Control Plans 6
G Relation b/n Process Failure Mode RPN Value and the associated Process Failure Cost FMEA and Control Plans 3
P Problem with "failure mode? interpretation in PFMEA (Process FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 8
S Process Failure Mode Effects Analysis (PFMEA) Basics FMEA and Control Plans 4
S Basic PFMEA (Process Failure Mode Effects and Analysis) Questions FMEA and Control Plans 22
kedarg6500 Potential Failure Mode - Mix Charge for Hardness - Casting Process FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Definition Potential Failure Mode Definition and How to identify Failure Modes? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 33
I Failure Mode help for Assembly Processes FMEA and Control Plans 8
M Difference between potential failure mode and potential effects of failure FMEA and Control Plans 11
W Plastic Part Painting/Spray Failure Mode - Sample PFMEA or control plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
W Potential Failure Mode - Machine Stroke not in specification FMEA and Control Plans 7
A Process FMEA - Help in deciding "detection ranking" of a failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 5
J DRBFM (Design Review Based on Failure Mode) - Toyota method Design and Development of Products and Processes 46
B How to demonstrate management commitment? Audit Failure Mode ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A I have two doubts about PFMEA failure modes - How should I describe a "failure mode" FMEA and Control Plans 24
G Mechanical Failure as a Failure Mode in the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 28
S Failure Mode SPC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
Y Design (DFMEA) and Process (PFMEA) FMEA Failure Mode Identification Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
H SFMEA - System Failure Mode Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 5
S Multiple controls for single failure mode FMEA and Control Plans 3
S How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
C Failure nets - Same level effects FMEA and Control Plans 0
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M Informational US FDA – Ethicon Recalls Circular Staplers for Insufficient Firing and Failure to Completely Form Staples Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
J How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc Server RAM Failure - 7 Dec 2018 Forum News and General Information 3
K Spot weld - Peel test failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10