"Failure Mode Effect Analysis" 2nd Ed. by D.H. Stamatis

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
This was an interesting take on a relatively new book. I'm interested enough to buy a copy myself. This commentary appeared in the ASQ Quality Progress Discussion Forum at www.ASQ.org (sorry - members only access to Forums.) - Wes Bucey

While reading "Failure Mode Effect Analysis," Second Edition by D.H. Stamatis (ASQ Quality Press, 2003), I noted the book contains useful audit questions. Although the book is obviously aimed at assessing potential risks, many of the lists suggest pertinent questions for an ISO 9001:2000 process audit. Following are page references:
? pp. 86-87 (13 questions)
? pp. 132-133 (9 questions)
? pp. 160 (13 questions)
? pp. 191-192 (14 questions)
? Appendix B (87 questions pertaining to design review)
? Appendix B (200+ questions pertaining to different aspects of design)

Russ Westcott, ASQ Fellow, CQA, CQManager
President
R.T. Westcott & Associates
Old Saybrook, CT
[email protected]

Last edited:
L

Laura M

I had a professor Mason Wescott at Rocester Institute of Technology in the Quality and Applied Statitics program. He was a Deming era guru of stats. Anyone know if its a son/relative?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Laura M said:
I had a professor Mason Wescott at Rocester Institute of Technology in the Quality and Applied Statitics program. He was a Deming era guru of stats. Anyone know if its a son/relative?
How neat to have studied under one of the guys deemed a "luminary" by ASQ, Laura M.
You might want to copy the ASQ blurb on Mason http://www.asq.org/join/about/history/wescott.html
for your scrapbook. Sorry - no data on connection, if any to Russ. Why not write to Russ directly ([email protected]) and ask, since you have the connection to Mason?

L

Laura M

It was very neat. By the time I had him in '84, he was quite old, and some students didn't appreciate that. I took Theory of Statistics and Sample size determination, which was alot of integrals, formulas and math. If your calculus skills were weak, you had trouble. I had alot of respect for his knowledge, but then again, math came easy to me, so I didn't struggle with that part and was able to focus on the theory. I believe he passed away within the last 5 or 6 years.

Top Bottom