Failure of Root Cause Analysis

U

Umang Vidyarthi

I wish to start this thread with a view to having eloberate discussion over the three layers-physical,human and latent-of RCA;and how to overcome the 'Failure' of RCA at any perticular level.There are plenty of RCA tools in vogue,but I haven't yet come accross a fool proof one.

Any takers?

Umang :cfingers:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I wish to start this thread with a view to having eloberate discussion over the three layers-physical,human and latent-of RCA;and how to overcome the 'Failure' of RCA at any perticular level.There are plenty of RCA tools in vogue,but I haven't yet come accross a fool proof one.

Any takers?

Umang :cfingers:
In general, the quality of RCA is directly proportionate to management's sincerity in wanting to see problems solved. RCA in general doesn't fail because people aren't smart enough to know how to solve problems; it fails because management encourages--either implicitly or explicitly--the path of least resistance to be taken.

Randy

Super Moderator
In general, the quality of RCA is directly proportionate to management's sincerity in wanting to see problems solved. RCA in general doesn't fail because people aren't smart enough to know how to solve problems; it fails because management encourages--either implicitly or explicitly--the path of least resistance to be taken.

And there it is:applause:

Add on "Fear of the truth"

CarolX

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Jim,

You are so very correct here. And this statement applies to any system within a business. If management encourages a process, it is completed to the best extent possible with the available resources. Without that support - any system is doomed to failure.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

And here enters 'Human Error' (in the form of management).Should the system be left at the mercy of management?Why can we not devise an 'Error free' system,by systemic & systematic approach,by plugging all the loop holes,flying over the path of least resistance and stalling the blame game.This is what I'm lokking for,if someone has developed 'near error free' seystem and would be kind enough to share on the cove.(The system is also required to cover all the three levels of RCA).

Thanks & Regards

Umang :thanks:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
What I've seen for problems in Root Cause Analysis basically boil down to what are you doing a Root Cause Analysis on? Here in the Department of Energy, I've seen most folks focus upon individual events, individual symptoms and do a "root cause analysis" on them. Because they are not looking at the system that created the individual event or symptom, the RCA is doomed to failure because it is looking at too micro of a level.

Another issue with RCA's that I've seen is that people doing them don't segragate the issue they are looking at into stable and non-stable systems. So often a "trend" is declared on 2 or 3 events and an RCA is done, without recognizing that the so called trend is the result of a stable system, and again, that implied the whole system should be looked at. Now, if there is a statistically significant trend on a control chart, then an RCA of that trend should provide benefit.

I suppose it all comes down to most RCA's are a dissection of an issue, rather than an integration as part of a larger system. To illustrate this (and borrowing from Russ Ackoff), this is like doing a root cause analysis of hand pain by chopping off your hand, laying it on a table, and trying to determine the source of the pain. As an aside - how many people dissected a frog in science class, and then learned how to put it back together again?

D

DsqrdDGD909

I think the NTSB has a very good approach to fact finding, but IMHO seldom does systems wide analyses.

I would think that some of the things done in health care quality would be of interest in this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Staff member
Admin
I used to think that NASA had very good RCA, but the Challenger and Columbia disasters dissuaded me from that POV.
Really? Personally, I thought they did a really good job of getting to the root of the problem. Especially having bits and pieces to work with, and determining what the problem was.

Too, when they interview people, this is a close knit group. But these same people are the ones having to be involved with the investigation. It would be easy to sit, finger point, and never get to the problem.

But... certainly great minds could differ on that.:agree1:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Really? Personally, I thought they did a really good job of getting to the root of the problem. Especially having bits and pieces to work with, and determining what the problem was.

Too, when they interview people, this is a close knit group. But these same people are the ones having to be involved with the investigation. It would be easy to sit, finger point, and never get to the problem.

But... certainly great minds could differ on that.:agree1:
I think an issue with NASA is they do very good RCA after the fact. Their ability to soul-search prior to an event and have a questioning attitude appears to be a weakness. It's darn easy to do RCA and justify what happened after an event (read Nassim Taleb's "Black Swan"). Doing an RCA on the system that led up to the accidents PRIOR TO the accident is another thing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
S Root Cause Analysis of Motor Performance Failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Moncia How to do a Root Cause Failure Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
Z Root Cause Failure Analysis for NADCAP AMS2750D Audit Finding help wanted AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
J Root Cause Failure Analysis of a Shipping Error Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 37
R Induction Coil Open Circuit Failure Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Marc --> Related Forum - Root Cause and Failure Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
Marc --> Related Forum - Root Cause and Failure Analysis Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 0
K Failure (root cause) codes for service reporting Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
Q Failure where the Root Cause was the Material Handler Not Following Procedure Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 20
S Root Cause Analysis and/or Failure Investigation Training Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
E Failure Investigation/Root Cause Procedure Examples Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
C Training for RCA - Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
C Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
A Root Cause Failure Analysis - Educate Me: What Is Root Cause Analysis? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
C Failure nets - Same level effects FMEA and Control Plans 0
C Failure mode at 0h, vs. 1 year vs. 5 year... FMEA and Control Plans 8
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M Informational US FDA – Ethicon Recalls Circular Staplers for Insufficient Firing and Failure to Completely Form Staples Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
J How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc Server RAM Failure - 7 Dec 2018 Forum News and General Information 3
K Spot weld - Peel test failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
kisxena Memo to File - Failure to Validate Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
Y IEC 62304 Section 4.3(a) - 100% probability of failure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S FMEA column column ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure FMEA and Control Plans 12
J What does "factional and failure dependencies“ mean? FMEA and Control Plans 1
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
M Infusion Pump Power Failure Alarm IEC 60601-2-24 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Will multi-time flashovers constitute a failure of Hi-Pot test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
P IATF 16949 - 10.2.5 Warranty and 10.2.6 Field failure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
J Medical Device Failure Effects - Where to draw the line? FMEA and Control Plans 8
kedarg6500 Potential Effects of Failure(s) FMEA and Control Plans 23
Marc Definition PFH - Probability of dangerous failure per hour Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition PFD - Probability of failure on demand Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0