Failure where the Root Cause was the Material Handler Not Following Procedure

qcman

Registered Visitor
I had a failure where the root cause was the material handler failed to follow the procedure of comparing ID's of stock brought to a machine with what was set up and running at the machine. Parts look the same at this point except for a large ID stamped into the part. All loads,samples and work instructions were clearly and correctly marked and handler also has a copy of the daily schedule. He said he knew what part was going in but failed to notice what the machine was set up for. He follows procedures 99.9% of the time but this .01% may cost 10K. I don't like to use operator failure as a root cause but in this case I don't see it as anything but. Guess my question is are there times where we just except human error and that there is not *always* a corrective action for it?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Not following procedure

There is a series of commercials running on TV which I like because it stresses what I have always referred to as the only really uncontrollable variable in most endeavors and thats the HUMAN element (Hu). There is a great deal of truth in this when we think about it.

The only thing you can honestly do is, to the best of your or your organizations ability, stress and reinforce the importance of following requirements though whatever means are the most effective for you. That's it.

What we refuse, fail to acknowledge and accept is that as long as people are involved there is going to be deviation and the "F" word (failure). Even machines can fail because people create them (at least we do at this time in our history and this may change).

BradM

Staff member
Admin

He said he knew what part was going in but failed to notice what the machine was set up for.

(Let me put my process cap on... ) How are you operators suppose to know how the machine are set up? Are there clear markers/postings? Is there a set-up document for the machine that is clear/understood by all? While this individual (by your accolades) is a very conscientious worker, will the next person be the same? Or, can your process be improved where it does not rely quite so much on individual characteristics, and standardizes the approach more? Have you walked through the process, and you feel fairly certain that the probability of this happening again is acceptable, for this and other individuals?

If your worker is as good as you say he/she is, and this one oversight cost the company that much, I think I would be having a power lunch to figure out simple but effective ways to minimize (alleviate) that happening again.

:2cents:

qcman

Registered Visitor

Walk the process all the time and honestly it is very simple and well documented. Walk up to machine,look at sample part with tag containing job discription and part number,compare that to schedule in hand that list same info as part tag,if you know where parts are go there,check ID tag on load for correct part number and bring load to machine,if not sure whether job has been run out go to computer terminal and enter part number which displays part count at each step through out the process,if parts are ran out inform operator. This process takes place about 200 times a day plant wide.Do I think it can/will happen again? Yes. Problem is in this situation I am not seeing an error proof corrective.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
He said he knew what part was going in but failed to notice what the machine was set up for. He follows procedures 99.9% of the time but this .01% may cost 10K. Guess my question is are there times where we just except human error and that there is not *always* a corrective action for it?
In my opinion, there is always a possibility of Human Error, and it can be a "Root Cause" but under normal circumstances, the Human Error factor can cause approx 5%-10% of the problem. The remaining percentage can usually be determined as a process error.

Since, the operator follows procedures 99.9% of the time, (I know some covers may not agree with me) I don't feel that a Corrective Action would be required. I understand that this .1% cost $10,000.

I might look at how the Machine could be identified to eliminate the possibility of this happening again (Mistake Proof).

D

Dean Frederickson

After the material handler delivers the parts, why isn't there a procedure for the machine operator to verify that the correct parts have been delivered? It would seem that if you have same/similar parts that the operator would check the I.D. mark/stamp prior to running the newly delivered parts. Do this to avoid future financial losses. To answer your question yes I believe operator error was the root cause here if your material handler is as good as you say and this is a one in one thousand mistake I would change your work insructions or procedures to have a second verification/identification of correct parts by operator as a procedure or work instruction and use as C.A. / P.A. . Now you can use not having a second person check the part I.D. as the root cause a failure with the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Cordon - 2007

After the material handler delivers the parts, why isn't there a procedure for the machine operator to verify the that the correct parts have been delivered?
This seems simple enough, unless we are missing something. Operators should have a sense of "ownership" of his process and should be held accountable to ensure that he is running the correct parts. :2cents:

Flawed work process.

Gert Sorensen

Forum Moderator
Parts look the same at this point except for a large ID stamped into the part.
I'd be looking at our design procedure/and or the production lay out as well. If I were to evaluate this kind of product then I would be thinking about errorproofing in the design phase as well. Having basic items that can be used at the same equipment in different productions should something that could be evaluated by a risk analysis. You might look at Dell's way of assembling PC's for inspiration :cool:

All loads,samples and work instructions were clearly and correctly marked and handler also has a copy of the daily schedule. He said he knew what part was going in but failed to notice what the machine was set up for. He follows procedures 99.9% of the time but this .01% may cost 10K.
S... happens in production. If he's so consistent then one single failure should be forgiven. A lot of QA persons would like to have him at their manufacturing site :D
I don't like to use operator failure as a root cause but in this case I don't see it as anything but. Guess my question is are there times where we just except human error and that there is not *always* a corrective action for it?
Yup, I believe it can sometimes be the root cause, and basically the exercise here is to make it a learning experience for the involved parties here.

A

Aaron Lupo

I had a failure where the root cause was the material handler failed to follow the procedure of comparing ID's of stock brought to a machine with what was set up and running at the machine. Parts look the same at this point except for a large ID stamped into the part. All loads,samples and work instructions were clearly and correctly marked and handler also has a copy of the daily schedule. He said he knew what part was going in but failed to notice what the machine was set up for. He follows procedures 99.9% of the time but this .01% may cost 10K. I don't like to use operator failure as a root cause but in this case I don't see it as anything but. Guess my question is are there times where we just except human error and that there is not *always* a corrective action for it?
I would take the individual out back and beat the living tar out of them!

Actually if you have a good system in lace for tracking little hiccups like this you should be able to justify that a corrective action is not needed. In my last place of employment we would track deviations and they would be reviewed monthly (or more frequently if needed) to see if there was a significant trend developing. If this is the first time it has happened or it has been an extended period of time since the last hiccup up I would just write it of as S#it happens and move on.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I have a simple question, and keep in mind that I'm one who believes that human error can be cited as a root cause in some cases. If the material is so easy to identify, why doesn't the operator make sure it's correct before processing it? One good way to mitigate human error is to add redundancy to the system, especially when it's fairly easy to do.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Medical Device Failure Effects - Where to draw the line? FMEA and Control Plans 8
L Where should the Process Failure Form reside? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
C Corrective action for failure in documents control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
A Exact terms for a plating failure and difference between rejection rate and failure rate Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
JoCam Failure to test Class I medical device to IEC 60601-1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Kaizen Events - Factors Affecting Failure Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
C Failure nets - Same level effects FMEA and Control Plans 0
C Failure mode at 0h, vs. 1 year vs. 5 year... FMEA and Control Plans 8
R How to properly use Survival Analysis to predict time to machine failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
D Testing to failure for design verification Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
M Informational US FDA – Ethicon Recalls Circular Staplers for Insufficient Firing and Failure to Completely Form Staples Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C Detection Action for Failure Effects - AIAG 4th Edition Layout FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc NASA Says Oregon Company Metals Fraud Caused $700 Million Satellite Failure - 2019 World News 16
C PCBA Hardware Component different failure types - How to rate detection? FMEA and Control Plans 8
N PFMEA repetitive failure modes in subsecuent stations. FMEA and Control Plans 1
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
J How to look up Failure Modes on FDA website FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Electronic component failure analysis turnaround time Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
C Design for Assembly in DFMEA - Failure Effect of Sub-System(s) FMEA and Control Plans 5
Marc Server RAM Failure - 7 Dec 2018 Forum News and General Information 3
K Spot weld - Peel test failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Electrical Power Plant Supply failure in PFMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 10
kisxena Memo to File - Failure to Validate Supply Chain Security Management Systems 1
Y IEC 62304 Section 4.3(a) - 100% probability of failure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
S FMEA column column ''therblig motion'' for a given potential failure FMEA and Control Plans 12
J What does "factional and failure dependencies“ mean? FMEA and Control Plans 1
N PFMEA Potential Failure Mode for Weight FMEA and Control Plans 5
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Infusion Pump Power Failure Alarm IEC 60601-2-24 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Determining Effect of Failure without a DFMEA (Design FMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 1
R Will multi-time flashovers constitute a failure of Hi-Pot test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
P IATF 16949 - 10.2.5 Warranty and 10.2.6 Field failure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
kedarg6500 Potential Effects of Failure(s) FMEA and Control Plans 23
Marc Definition PFH - Probability of dangerous failure per hour Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Marc Definition PFD - Probability of failure on demand Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
C Squeeze in one more - Rate of failure Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L First Time Completing a 5 Why/RootCause Failure Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Z Failure Mode Identification in PFMEA according to AIAG FMEA Rev.4 FMEA and Control Plans 6
B IPCD Sterility test failure during MPQ (EO sterilization validation) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Failure Mode from Operator "Components Fallen but Loaded" FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Is Failure to achieve a Goal a Major Non-Conformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
M Population failure rate based on attribute data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
P UFMEA - Use Failure Mode Effects Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 7
Sean Kelley Seeking Feedback on ASQ Guide to Failure Mode and Effect Analysis FMEA and Control Plans 2
alonFAI Component Failure (Relay) during ICT Testing after Surface Mount Assembly Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Should failure mode caused by Fixture problem be into PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 2
T Weibull analysis of life time test of 8 electric motors until failure Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
Q Corrective Action - Product failure during testing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7