FAI's for packaging materials?

John Predmore

Trusted Information Resource
My career was in industries which perform PPAP. Product packaging, certainly packaging which touches the product, was considered part of the product design and part of the product value stream. We did not go down to the level of inspecting the wooden pallets, but if there are specific requirements on the pallets or wrap material, then it is good practice that those requirements are included to be verified, at least once, and documented in an FAI. That baseline documentation could be important if someone somewhere in the future makes a material revision to save a few pennies per pound, and the change leads to causing a problem.

stm55

Involved In Discussions
What did they say? How do they demonstrate that specifications have been met?
Just that they do not typically do it (though they can) and that it was a very rare request from customers.

My career was in industries which perform PPAP. Product packaging, certainly packaging which touches the product, was considered part of the product design and part of the product value stream. We did not go down to the level of inspecting the wooden pallets, but if there are specific requirements on the pallets or wrap material, then it is good practice that those requirements are included to be verified, at least once, and documented in an FAI. That baseline documentation could be important if someone somewhere in the future makes a material revision to save a few pennies per pound, and the change leads to causing a problem.
that all makes sense to me. these replies are all confirming my suspicions, which is great-- i really just wanted a sanity check that packaging materials werent for some reason treated differently

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
Just that they do not typically do it (though they can) and that it was a very rare request from customers.

that all makes sense to me. these replies are all confirming my suspicions, which is great-- i really just wanted a sanity check that packaging materials werent for some reason treated differently
When I was in Med Device we would do an FAI on custom corrugated packaging, especially if there was anything involved in protecting the product any more that a simple carton... like anything that might cradle a part. It wasn't a tough FAI - pretty straight forward dimensional analysis and review of any graphics on the carton. If there was anything more than the company name/logo on the carton, the print would be scrutinized deeply because then you're into product labeling, even if it's not a "label" per se.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I've worked in a number of different industries, including automotive, commercial and industrial. We did not require FAIs for packaging but did perform various internal testing (e.g., impact and drop tests ASTM D5276-19, etc.) on the packaging prior to adopting the packaging.

stm55

Involved In Discussions
I've worked in a number of different industries, including automotive, commercial and industrial. We did not require FAIs for packaging but did perform various internal testing (e.g., impact and drop tests ASTM D5276-19, etc.) on the packaging prior to adopting the packaging.
If I could ask, what did you have as your threshold for when an FAI was required then? Our SOP requires it for any custom part, which our packaging is. In other words, would yours just say "any custom part excluding packaging materials"? Would all packaging materials be immune, or certain ones you would want it for-- for example, interior pouch, internal box, blister pack, etc etc--- for this reason I believe we've just found it easiest to require it for all

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
If I could ask, what did you have as your threshold for when an FAI was required then? Our SOP requires it for any custom part, which our packaging is. In other words, would yours just say "any custom part excluding packaging materials"? Would all packaging materials be immune, or certain ones you would want it for-- for example, interior pouch, internal box, blister pack, etc. --- for this reason I believe we've just found it easiest to require it for all
We did not ever require an FAI for packaging. However, we did perform the ASTM drop tests on any new packaging prior to adoption. After implementation, we would also closely monitor customer feedback related to packaging in case we needed to modify it.

Top Bottom