Family / Generic type of FMEA & Control Plan and Symbols

sinned

Registered Visitor
Althought TS manual has mentioned the possibility of using family / generic type of FMEA and control plan, there are still some other requirements that have to be complied with which does not encourage the use of family PCP.
For example, if i have a family of similar products with different special characteristics symbols and customer requirements, (eg. some products have the total length as special char. while some others products have only the ID as special char.) Required by TS manual, i have to put those symbols on the PFMEA/PCP. Should i put all different symbols for every product no. onto the one family type PFMEA/PCP ? If so, how can i show which symbol applies to which product no. and not the others ?
Another situation that make family type doc difficult is when there is just one product of a family needed to have changes in RPN marking or additional control consideration after, say, a customer complaint. In such case, we usually are forced to create separate docs for that particular part no.

Can you share your experience ?:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Z

Zbigniew Huber

Re. various symbols of special characteristics the solution I used is to create a separate document with own symbols of critical characteristic [CC] significant characteristic [SC] and others [-] and then cross-reference symbols of customers. Then my symbols [CC] or [SC] were used in FMEA, Control Plans and Work Instructions.

TS169494 allows to do it. See. 7.3.2.3:
"...
identify process control documents including drawings, FMEAs, control plans, and operator instructions with the customer's special characteristic symbol or the organization?s equivalent symbol or notation to include those process steps that affect special characteristics.
..."

Re. various requirements in generic FMEA - I suggest to add extra column for filtering purposes. In the column title you can add part number name and then in following rows add "1" or "0" to filter out rows that need to be included or excluded.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
My question is whether it is a true "family" if the critical characteristics are not the same.

How you handle would depend a lot on what you do. I certainly could see you adding a notation that the cc applies only to a specific part no.

sinned

Registered Visitor
I considered them as "family" of products bases on the their similarity in configuration, similar raw material, almost the same production processes, and nearly identical process control methods.
The fact is, different product design engineer of different application came to different conclusions when they determine critical characteristics. In some applications, only the OD is important; in other applications, both OD and thickness is important. Some engineer think that none of the dimension is critical; yet other think only the chamfer is a CC, or their end customer think so.
When the number of family members I'm talking is over 50 or even 100 part nos., indicating one by one in a PFMEA or PCP is tedious and prone to error during revision. Is breaking down the docs the only way to go ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J UDI Requirements - Products that all fall under the same family 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
T Informational Family or Baseline PFMEA Rules FMEA and Control Plans 22
H Equivalence within Medical Device Family EU Medical Device Regulations 1
BradM Sympathy to Wes Bucey and his family, loss of his wife Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
R How to elect one product to be representative of a Family of Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Value Stream Mapping for a Product Family Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
J PPAP for New Family Revisions when the Part has not changed APQP and PPAP 4
M Need Machining Low Volume Family Control Plan and PFMEA APQP and PPAP 1
M ISO 2700x Family of Standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
V PPAP Requirements for Plating a "Family of Parts" APQP and PPAP 8
S What constitutes a Medical Device Technical File "Family?" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Software TQS-9000 Family of Products Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Medical Device Product Registration, Product Family, Device Name Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDD Technical File CE Mark - Addition of a Device to our Current CE Marked Family EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Randy I've got new family Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
P What do you do when a family pet is dying from old age? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
M Is any standard in Russia equivalent to those of the family IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S PPAP for a Family of Products APQP and PPAP 3
Q MSA Studies on each Equipment, each Measurement System or Family in Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 35
D Family Mold in Mass Production? Lean Operation Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
somashekar OH&S and the little family fun Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
V Can identical gages in different facilities be in the same family? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Marc Brief History of the AS Family of Standards AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instruments? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K House rules and discipline style: Tips on balancing life, work, and family Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
G Gage R&Rs based on a Family of Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Stijloor Family feud turns into riot in small Ala. town Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
BradM The family lost a little friend today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 52
G Part family concept in Process FMEA - Thank You Guys! FMEA and Control Plans 2
Sidney Vianna New edition of ISO brochure on getting the best out of ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q ISO launches video clip: "The ISO 9000 family ? Global management standards" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Using ISO 9000 family to help us to improve the efficiency of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Layout inspection - product family approach? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Is this legal - Selling all the family products in one 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Sidney Vianna ISO advises managers how to get the best out of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Make a Donation Today to Help Find a Family for this Child Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
K Please vote: term for an inspection plan for a family of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S TS 16949 MSA Study Requirements - MSA Studies by Family Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C Documentation required when doing a PPAP for a "Product Family" APQP and PPAP 6
D Do I Need To Do Gage R&R (GR&R) On Each Device Or Just Each Family Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J System to capture history on Inspection Hours comparision to part family Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L New member of the TS 16949 family of registered companies IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
ScottK New "Family" car or used "Upscale" car - Opinions wanted Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
Tim Folkerts Riddle - Family with 2 Kids Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
P Fourslide FMEA - Part Specific vs. Family Specific FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 12
ScottK Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 60
J Springfield USA Map! Home to the Simpson's family Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
I Does anyone have anything about ISO 19000 standard family? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1