Informational Family or Baseline PFMEA Rules

tonyfan

Starting to get Involved
Can anyone help me to understand the proper use of a family or baseline PFMEA? I'm in a very heated debate on the proper use of a family or baseline PFMEA with my Quality Engineer and Quality Manager. We had an internal auditor (3rd party) tell us it's ok to submit a "family process FMEA" that includes every process under the roof of the facility for any given part, weldment, or assembly, even if the part(s) do not go through that process.

Example: PPAP submission part process is to receive material, cut, form, wash, paint (outsourced), inspect, pack & ship. The "family PFMEA" being submitted includes receive material, cut, form, machine, spot weld, engrave, weld, wash, gravimetric, paint (internal), inspect, pack, ship.
We have been issued corrective actions during our registrar audits in the past for the PFMEA not lining up with the flow, and control plan. My concern is that this could potentially set us up for yet another corrective action for the same issue.

We are an ISO 9001:2015 and IATF 16949 certified facility. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
Your Part PFMEA should align with your Process flow and CP of the Part. Your Master PFMEA should contain have all processes. If you have Processes showing in your PFMEA that are not applicable to the Part you will have issues at a 3rd party audit or even from your Customer when you submit the documentation.

tonyfan

Starting to get Involved
Thank you try2makeit for your input. I agree, they all need to align. QE is submitting his Master PFMEA, but calling it a family or baseline PFMEA. My problem remains that he feels no need to change since the internal auditor agreed that it is ok to submit as such. Rationale used by auditor was that as long as they can see that they are controlling (with the control plan) the potential failures noted on the PFMEA, they are ok to include all process, not just those the part(s) pass thru.
I was hoping for a reference to something written that I could show that they are going down the wrong path if they follow his lead.

tonyfan

Starting to get Involved
Thank you Golfman25. May I ask, in your PFMEA submission do you include just the steps or processes that your part(s) go through, or do you include all processes and just modify those that are actually being used?

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
8.3.5.2 Manufacturing process design output (IATF)
The organization shall document the manufacturing process design output in a manner that enables verification against the manufacturing process design inputs.
e - manufacturing process flow charts/layout, including linkage of product, process and tooling.
g - manufacturing process FMEA
I had the IATF bible open on that page...

tonyfan

Starting to get Involved
Thanks again try2makeit. I've been showing and explaining this to them. I think I'm just stuck where I'm at until our 3rd party or a customer issues yet another corrective action. :censor: I think I could have had better success if the internal auditor hadn't given them the green light like he did.

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
In the past I have done much the same - made a 'parent' PFMEA which includes all processes (internal and outsourced, and don't forget rework/salvage) and then edited it for PPAP submission, to show ONLY the process steps which are applicable to the part in question.

The only flaw that I find in this approach is that when you make a change to the 'parent' document, it may not be reflected in any previous 'daughter' documents which are related to it. The reverse is also true - if you have ongoing customer issues across several parts for the same failure mode at the same process step, the 'parent' document may require revision (if it is a systemic issue, rather than something specific and unique to a given part).

I believe that there is software available which captures this, however I am not really familiar with any of it - I prefer using Excel as it is much simpler to use, and (kinda) user friendly.

tonyfan

Starting to get Involved
Thank you Ron. I hope with all of the feedback I've received, I can maybe come at them from yet another angle and get them to understand my concerns.
Thanks again to everyone that has contributed.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
What we do is modify the master for each part. That way we have a "clean" PFMEA for submission and the master is kept updated.
So we are a stamper. There are several stamping "processes" we lay out -- blanking, forming, piercing, trimming, etc. But not every part goes thru every one of those processes. So we cut them out and only include the relevant stamping steps. But some parts get plated or painted or other processes. For those we keep in the FMEA in order to match the boxes in our process flow, but just note that they are not applicable.

As per Ron's concern regarding subsequent changes, we treat every submitted (daughter) FMEA as "obsolete" when printed. The parent FMEA is kept up to date with changes. If we need a new one for a previous part, we just cut and paste again. We did this because managing 100s of FMEAs was unworkable and we couldn't keep up with revisions when something changed.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J UDI Requirements - Products that all fall under the same family 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L REACH Compliance - Small, family-owned contract manufacturer REACH and RoHS Conversations 16
H Equivalence within Medical Device Family EU Medical Device Regulations 1
BradM Sympathy to Wes Bucey and his family, loss of his wife Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 20
R How to elect one product to be representative of a Family of Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
S Family / Generic type of FMEA & Control Plan and Symbols FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Value Stream Mapping for a Product Family Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
J PPAP for New Family Revisions when the Part has not changed APQP and PPAP 4
M Need Machining Low Volume Family Control Plan and PFMEA APQP and PPAP 1
M ISO 2700x Family of Standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
V PPAP Requirements for Plating a "Family of Parts" APQP and PPAP 8
S What constitutes a Medical Device Technical File "Family?" EU Medical Device Regulations 6
A Quality Software TQS-9000 Family of Products Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
C Medical Device Product Registration, Product Family, Device Name Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
S MDD Technical File CE Mark - Addition of a Device to our Current CE Marked Family EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Randy I've got new family Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
P What do you do when a family pet is dying from old age? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
M Is any standard in Russia equivalent to those of the family IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
S PPAP for a Family of Products APQP and PPAP 3
Q MSA Studies on each Equipment, each Measurement System or Family in Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 35
D Family Mold in Mass Production? Lean Operation Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
somashekar OH&S and the little family fun Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna The ISO 9000 ecosystem - a clear(?) vision for the future of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
V Can identical gages in different facilities be in the same family? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Marc Brief History of the AS Family of Standards AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
M Are family type of GR&R acceptable in situations where you have a lot of instruments? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
K House rules and discipline style: Tips on balancing life, work, and family Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
G Gage R&Rs based on a Family of Gages Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Stijloor Family feud turns into riot in small Ala. town Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
BradM The family lost a little friend today Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 52
G Part family concept in Process FMEA - Thank You Guys! FMEA and Control Plans 2
Sidney Vianna New edition of ISO brochure on getting the best out of ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q ISO launches video clip: "The ISO 9000 family ? Global management standards" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Using ISO 9000 family to help us to improve the efficiency of the QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Layout inspection - product family approach? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Is this legal - Selling all the family products in one 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Sidney Vianna ISO advises managers how to get the best out of the ISO 9000 family ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Q Make a Donation Today to Help Find a Family for this Child Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
K Please vote: term for an inspection plan for a family of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S TS 16949 MSA Study Requirements - MSA Studies by Family Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
C Documentation required when doing a PPAP for a "Product Family" APQP and PPAP 6
D Do I Need To Do Gage R&R (GR&R) On Each Device Or Just Each Family Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
J System to capture history on Inspection Hours comparision to part family Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L New member of the TS 16949 family of registered companies IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
ScottK New "Family" car or used "Upscale" car - Opinions wanted Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 26
Tim Folkerts Riddle - Family with 2 Kids Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
P Fourslide FMEA - Part Specific vs. Family Specific FMEAs FMEA and Control Plans 12
ScottK Lean Projects for my home - Teaching my family the principles of 5s Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 60
J Springfield USA Map! Home to the Simpson's family Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
I Does anyone have anything about ISO 19000 standard family? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1