FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100

Hi all,

I'm in the process of fixing a few issues with our AS9100 QMS for my company. One the issues we have is a lack of a proper flowdown process/procedure for ensuring all required FAR clauses, and customer specific clauses are flowed down to our sub tier vendors. We have our own Quality Clauses that cover some things. But can anyone provide me with any guidance as to how they perform this? We issue purchase orders through Job Boss, and list our applicable clauses. I'm just looking for an efficient way of flowing down everything that is required. All I have right now is looking at copying and pasting the FAR and customer related clauses into notes, but I don't know if that's feasible with how lengthy some can be. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

David-D

Involved In Discussions
For the FAR clauses, you might consider inclusion by reference, particularly for the clauses which don't require any fill-ins. Many FAR based USG contracts do this (Section H or I ?) And they carry the same weight as if they were fully pasted in.

In that case you could list the clause number, title and date as well as a source for the clauses ( suggest the official source Acquisition.GOV | www.acquisition.gov ) This would atleast limit the amount of entry and limit the liklihood of transcription errors.

On the other hand, it doesn't guarantee that someone will READ or FOLLOW them, but neither does putting them in the contract itself.

David

John Predmore

Quite Involved in Discussions
The way we resolved this audit finding was put the Terms & Conditions on our company website, "Doing Business with xxx". At the bottom of the purchase order template we added the boiler plate verbiage to reference Ts & Cs from our website. At the top of the 8-page list of Ts & Cs is a version number, so a supplier can tell at a glance if the version in their file is the same as the version on our website.

Now in your case, if not all requirements apply to all suppliers, you could number the clauses and on individual purchase orders, list the numbers which apply or the ones which do not apply.

The way we resolved this audit finding was put the Terms & Conditions on our company website, "Doing Business with xxx". At the bottom of the purchase order template we added the boiler plate verbiage to reference Ts & Cs from our website. At the top of the 8-page list of Ts & Cs is a version number, so a supplier can tell at a glance if the version in their file is the same as the version on our website.

Now in your case, if not all requirements apply to all suppliers, you could number the clauses and on individual purchase orders, list the numbers which apply or the ones which do not apply.
That is exactly how we handle our own clauses. We reference the clause # on PO's, and point to our web site for the actual clauses. That works perfectly for our own internal requirements. I've given our purchasing agent a "cheatsheet" with the clauses they need to attach depending on what it is they are buying. What I'm after is how to flow down our customer's specific clauses (we deal with the big three in aerospace, and several others who have their own clauses they want flowed down) and most of these are all owners of prime contracts, so FAR clauses and so forth need flowed down as well. I've done alot of searching around hoping for an online tool or something to somewhat automate this. But might have to work each individual purchase order and do it similiar to how we flow our internal clauses. List the applicable FAR, customer, etc specific clauses that are required, and a note pointing to the www.acquisition.gov or customer's clause site to reference. It's starting to look like this is the only route, which is OK, we have to do what's required. But it's going to add ALOT of workload to our purchasing agent's plate. Posted here hoping to see how other's tackled this, as I'm sure it's a common theme and everyone has a method.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P How far an operator can reach into a machine before it becomes an ergonomic problem CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 24
Crimpshrine13 PPAPs (How far down the tiers are we supposed to get PPAPs)? APQP and PPAP 19
K About ionizers - How far can we place a table top ionizer from the IC devices Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Q Correction of records - FAR or DFAR? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
I First Time Implementing Document Control for ISO-9001 - how far back do you go? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
R How far apart can you schedule separate areas or departments in your internal audit? Internal Auditing 4
I FAR Part 43 and Application to 17025 Accredited Cal Lab Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
J Definition Outsourcing - How Far Does it Go? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 6
F Necessary trainings for FAR 145 certification Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
R FAR 145.205 - Maintenance Program Flow Down Requirements Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
Z Comparison between AS9100 and FAA 145 Repair-Station (CFR's, FAR's) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 2
L Records Register is not maintained and is far from complete ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
H Active Parts with No FAI - How far back do you go? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
J Quality Escapes Procedure (requirement for FAR 21.137 (n)) needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
C Certification process for small consultancy practice far away from main cities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D FAA Drug Testing Requirements - FAR Part 145.211 (c)(1)(vi) Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 8
Q Registrars and Consulting - How far can a registrar go in consulting for a company? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I far away Brain Teasers and Puzzles 8
ScottK How "far up" Maslow's Hierarchy are you? Career and Occupation Discussions 7
ScottK How far is it practical to take a Process FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 14
A FAR Part 21/145 vs. EASA Part 21/145 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
Marc How far do you commute to work? Career and Occupation Discussions 58
ScottK Lessons Learned so far from my current ISO9001 adventure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
K How far should we go to control Non-Conforming Material? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
Q Auditor Access to Records - How far an Auditor can Probe ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
C FAR Part 145.161(a)(4) - Summary of Employment AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
Marc Small Business Set Asides - FAR (Federal Acquisition Regulations) Subpart 19.5 Consultants and Consulting 2
R Component traceability in an assembly - Government contract - How far does it go? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 18
E How far to go into Special Characteristics (SC) Identification on Machines/Equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Process correlation matrix - Just how far "into the weeds" do I go? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
gard2372 FAR 145 AS9100 Gap Analysis - Any recommendations on where to start? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 18
D Human Factors and FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
P RoHS Legislation - Who's doing what, and how far down the line are you RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
F Human Factors & Ergonomics - FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' - Aviation Industry Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 20
S Any feelings on how far back the FDA looks into documentation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Identifying Internal Customer Requirements - This is my list so far ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
WALLACE Consultancy on the fly - Registrars located in the Far East Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
K Supplier Audits - How far do we have to go? How much detail? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 12
J Measurement Resolution - How far to carry the decimal place out Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
M How far does one go to protect quality and other records from "loss" Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
E CEO Involvement - How far do I go with insisting that they attend meetings, etc? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
J How far do Training output and HR responsibilities need to be controlled Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
A Audit Database that captures internal, external audits - Prime Part 21 manufacturer Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 12
M Contractor Requirements before hire Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
C Determining if Maintenance Contractor is an External Service subject to ISO 9001 Clause 8.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 43
J AS9104-1 Clause 18.1 (a) (b) - Organizations (contractor) shall be required to allow access to Tier 2 data AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 7
S SOP Training/Competence in 24/7 Operation contractor company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1