Farewell to the Floppy Disk

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Many of us remember installing our favorite OS, network client, power application, etc. by feeding our computer what seemed to be an endless supply of 5.25" soft floppy disks. We rejoiced when the hard 3.5" floppies came out, cutting our install media by 1/3. We practically did backflips when the data CD-ROM arrived and we declared: We will never need any other disk than this! It is with sadness that I report the beginning of the end for the floppy: Computer giant PC World has announced it will no longer carry floppy disks once current supplies run out.

A

amanbhai

more & more people are using flash memory these days. Its reliable, it has got more space & it is easy to carry.
I have lost a lot of my data in these floppy disks.:mad:

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
NOOOOOOO -

I still have a Sony Mavica camera that uses floppy's - I have yet to find a replacement camera that produces images as nice as my Mavica, and so easy to use.

Guess I need to buy up all I can find!

D

Dan Armstrong

Interesting. I wonder if anyone told the Feds? My reports to the DEA have to be submitted on 3-1/2" floppys.

I'd better buy a supply.

L

Laura M

I was just at a baby shower in which we put together a time capsult for the twins. I wrote them a letter and saved a copy of it on a 'floppy disk' as my contribution.

BradM

Leader
Admin
" Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate". Who's old enough for that one???

The only thing about the flash drives is you have to always have one with you. Someone is not going to give you one with the file; a floppy they will.

The flash drives do not have unlimited life, either.

Someone told me to always click on the green USB disconnect tool (for the flash drive in question; not everything!) before unplugging the flash drive. They said it can cause problems. Covers, any truth to that?

C

Craig H.

" Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate". Who's old enough for that one???

The only thing about the flash drives is you have to always have one with you. Someone is not going to give you one with the file; a floppy they will.

The flash drives do not have unlimited life, either.

Someone told me to always click on the green USB disconnect tool (for the flash drive in question; not everything!) before unplugging the flash drive. They said it can cause problems. Covers, any truth to that?

I don't know about flash drives, but my camera's memory card will most definitely "fry" if it is removed before the USB disconnect tool is used. One of those "lessons learned" I guess.

C

chergh - 2008

"

Yeah a little. Usually you won't have any problems but especially when you have been copying to the flash drive it's always a good idea to use the disconnect tool.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I don't know about flash drives, but my camera's memory card will most definitely "fry" if it is removed before the USB disconnect tool is used. One of those "lessons learned" I guess.

Are you talking about the "Safely Remove Hardware" thing in the system tray? If so, it's certainly not a good idea to remove a flash drive or memory card while read/write operations are taking place, but if you know they're not, you can just unplug the device without anything bad happening. All the thing does is stop any read/write operations that are in progress, or make you wait until they're completed.

Top Bottom