Faro Arm, Gage R&R

We are doing a Gage r&r with the Faro arm probe and laser scanner quantum S, and Polyworks software. We are struggling badly. We have 10 die-cast housings we are running this study on.
We are all over the place with results, and I am trying narrow down where the issue is.
For my first question here, has anyone done a Gage r&r with a Faro arm, with polyworks, and has had good results?

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Oh ah I finally can attach the study, Cool. Please review this study below.
I am learning this, and these studies take a long time.

I am hoping we can figure out where the error is happening and address it.

Thanks for anyfeedback you could provide.

Shane

Attachments

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
In all of the characteristics, repeatability is the biggest issue. Several do have some operator to operator issues, but those are usually easily solved through standardizing the method and training the operators to the method.

For repeatability, the issues are more difficult to identify. The following are the more common issues:
  • The measurement device itself is ill-suited for the measurement
  • Low rigidity of measurement device or fixturing
  • Inadequate clamping of part being measured
  • Wear or poor maintenance of the measurement device
  • Cleanliness of part, fixture or measurement device
  • For CMMs:
    • selection of probe diameter,
    • probe length,
    • cosine error,
    • # of hits used to identify a feature
  • Variation in form of the part being measured
I am sure there may be additional issues associated with the laser scanner and software, but I am not familiar with those.

Ok Thanks for the feedback, we will check out all of these topics.
I now have a place to start, which kind of was in the back of my mind anyways.

I will need to start another thread on your # of hits used to identify a feature or create a feature. Because two of our alignment datums are smaller "cones" tapered core features. I think once we figure out how to probe these features with the three R's our data will be a lot better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Gage Repeatability for Faro Arm Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
C Part selection for Faro arm MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
C Faro Platinum Arm Rental in Ohio - Immediate need Service Industry Specific Topics 3
P FARO Arm & Laser Tracker - Anyone with experience? Software question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Faro Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Variation between Faro Arms Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
CCaantley Issues with Faro Quantum S and LLP General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
E Faro Laser Tracker Calibration Source Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
R Calibration of a portable FARO gage portable CMM # F04L2 gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
D Is anyone currently using a portable CMMs (e.g. Faro, Romer, etc.)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Robotic arm with a camera, active medical device? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
P Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
J Powdercoating Capability Employing a Robotic Arm Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K "Verification of Calibration" - CMM arm General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Stated Accuracy of Portable CMM Arm and Real World Use Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
N SPC and Process Capability Using a Romer Arm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
E Question on the Reliability of the Faroarm vs. Romer Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 10
C Taking an Exclusion to 7.2? Manufacturing arm is in China ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
D CMM vs. Measuring Arm for both Large and Small Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 26
M Arm Twisting by CB (Certification Body) Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
W Certification body has a consultancy arm - Also this CB is not listed in IATF list Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Gage R&R IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D HELP gage card not popping up Using GAGEpack Software 2
F How often should Gage R&R's be updated? Is there a recommended time-frame? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W What is dimensional layout of the gage? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Q Does a gage used for a visual verification need to be calibrated? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
T Gage Numbering Using GAGEpack Software 6
S Gage R&R for inline measuring machine Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
B Gage calibration Gonogo (calcul of cgk) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
PastorBee13 Attribute Gage R&R with no bad samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
H Air Pressure Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Spot Weld Nugget - MSA Gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Gage type and data base maintainence Using GAGEpack Software 2
F Should I perform several Gage R&R for every caliper to cover all specs range of use? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
T Gage R&R study - Ordinal data Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Q Gage Pin Sets? Calibrate/Verify them all or just a sample size? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 22
S If 4 operate to measure, what is the value of k2?(MSA gage R&R) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
8 MSA--Should I Use Parts or Gage Pins? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
C Gage Block Grade 1 - Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 15
R Gage Measuring 15 Parts at a Time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Q Gage calibration in disarray ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
PQ Systems Recipe for Success! 10 Ingredients for a Healthy Gage Management System Using GAGEpack Software 0
S Comparing measurement results for a part from two ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Quick Gage R&R Question Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
PQ Systems Best Practices In Gage Management Using GAGEpack Software 0
PQ Systems Gage R&R - 3 Part Series Using GAGEpack Software 0
I Excel based Gage R&R VS Minitab calculation Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5