Faster way to Tag Parts for Painting

Illek

Involved In Discussions
We are AS9100 FAA TC EASA Maintenance and Manufacturing facility. We fabricate parts in house. I was asked to search for something by our Paint department. We require tags for parts for before and after painting. Something that won't be obscured by the paint process. We have parts that get metal tags that are hand punched with various numbers and letters. Is there an automatic machine out there that can speed up the process? I tried google but I am not sure what key words to use.

Appreciate any suggestions,
:thanks:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
P

PaulJSmith

Yes, those machines do exist. When I was at GKN - St. Louis, they used just such a machine in their paint department. It functions like a printer connected to a computer. You enter the information in the appropriate fields, hit "print," and you get a punched metal tag/label for the part. However, I cannot for the life of me remember who made it. Surely someone here knows, though.

kgott

Quite Involved in Discussions
what about looking for say plastic tags, like cattle tags, that are pre-printed with raised consecutive numbers that can still be read even if they are covered in paint. Tie them on with cable ties.

E

eHemingway

One idea would be using dot peen markers although I am unaware of how expensive that is... The identification numbers (P/Ns, S/Ns, etc.) will remain readable before and after painting and it is a technique widely used in aviation industry.

Illek

Involved In Discussions
I appreciate the help.
Pre-printed tags are not an option since the numbers are generated as needed using numbers that another department issues. I have used google too but was hoping for an exact name or model of a cost effective machine that someone here may already be using. Its one thing to see it on the internet and another to use it day to day.
Again appreciate the input from Elsmar folks.
:thanx:

P

PaulJSmith

I sent the question to a former coworker asking for the info, but have yet to see a reply. I'll let you know if/when I get one.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P How to clean paint area tile faster and improve OEE Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Marc Google Plans Internet That's 100 Times Faster than current Broadband After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
M Faster Browser for IMDS? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R Specific ISO requirement to fill in all spaces on a move tag? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
S Conformity vs. 8130-3 tag creation date Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
L Valid reasons to omit an "ear-tag" type label on a cable? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
T EFA or F/C on the TAG EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
T EASA TAG Block 11 Status/Work issue Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
V Ford Dimensional Tag Characteristics requirements APQP and PPAP 2
pammesue Non Conforming Material in the Warehouse..to tag or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R 5S Red Tag and ISO Procedure Red Tag - Tag Color Conflict Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
U Form and Procedure for Red Tag in 5S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
J Lock-out / Tag-Out Procedures as Quality Controlled Documents? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 25
V ISO 9001 User Survey from the US TAG to ISO/TC176 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Q Marking Parts Manufacturing Approval (PMA) Parts with a 8130-3 Tag Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 9
C FAA 8130-21G Airworthiness Approval Tag Form - New Changes? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
E Identification of out-of-process parts - Using the wrong tag Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Marc UK Police Raid Party After Seeing "All-Night" Tag On Facebook World News 1
C Form 1 EASA / Form 8130-3 tag - light aircraft with registration N EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
B Should there be a Red Tag Time Limit, in regards to 5S Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 13
T Work Order and Part Rework Tag Retention ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
E Lock-out Tag-out does is have to be a procedure in QS or can it just be referenced ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
H Nonconforming Material Tag? Description or template of what items should be included ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
L Nonconforming material tag - People are not filling out required paperwork Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W Nonconformance ID tags - Seeking universal non-conforming Red Tag - Approx. 4" x 6" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Reject Tags - red tag is a form and needs to have a part number and revision? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
D ISO 9001:2000 TAG Committee - TC 176 is responsible for ISO 9000:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K ISO / TS 16949 Draft "Disapproved"? December 2001 US TAG ISO/TC 176 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
Marc Will the US Vote No? US TAG contingent on the fence ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Red tag or not to Red tag... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Marc ISO 19011 - Report on US TAG Standards Group Meetings General Auditing Discussions 17
M Identifying Applied Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
J Mechanical inspection techniques of close tolerance parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
J Sister-company providing parts is only ISO 9001 registered IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
A AS9100D 8.1.4 Prevention of Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G Need to change KPI we called NC parts (maximum 3%.) to FTQ (first time quality) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Do you classify applied parts? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Defib-proof applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Earthing of moving parts, designing tips IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
Ed Panek Corona Virus impact on Supplier Audits and Received Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E IEC 60601-1 - Unearthed Medical Device Metal Parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
bryan willemot Shipping Aerospace parts without Stress certs Manufacturing and Related Processes 20
H Capability Data for Paint Thickness on Painted Parts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
D 3 Companies - Medical device parts and substances - Responsibilities EU Medical Device Regulations 4
B Accessible parts per 8.4.2 b) - Touch currents in combination with MOOP or MOPP? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3