FDA 510(K) submission question

srinu

Starting to get Involved
Dear All,
I would like to know the guidance from our group regarding 510(K) submission.
Our Company X buy the DHF and complete test reports from company Y and company Y has 510(K) approval so now our company would like to apply for 510(K) on our name.
Our plane is like
1.Our predicate device is company Y 510(K)
2.Design,materials,manufacturing,sterilization and packing all are identical and same manufacturing facility as company y
3.Only use our specifications like part numbers ,labelling..etc.

My question is
1.Do we need to perform any performance tests? or the data which we got from company Y is enough to submit for 510(K) application (All are identical and the same manufacturing facility)?

Please give me your valuable answers.

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
To be clear, your predicate is not the other company's 510(k), it is the other company's device.

It sounds like you just want to be able to sell their device as your own, without making any changes to the physical device or to its intended use?

The same manufacturing facility is good, but I think a key question is whether your device is also going to be manufactured in that facility with the same validated manufacturing process. As a regulated product, a medical device is ultimately defined by its specifications and a manufacturing process that has been validated to show that it will reliably produce devices that meet those specifications.

If the tests were done on devices that were manufactured by the same validated process that will be used to manufacture your device, then those tests are equally applicable to your device, so I wouldn't think repeating them would serve any purpose.

"Specifications" is tricky. People toss this term around like a rubber ball. Changing part numbers will not "raise any new questions of safety and effectiveness." Labelling might, depending on what you are changing on the labelling. What impact "etc" might have, I can't say.

This is definitely not my strong suit, but I think I'm pretty much on point with what I have said so far. Maybe someone else can pick it up from here and add some clarifications.

srinu

Starting to get Involved
To be clear, your predicate is not the other company's 510(k), it is the other company's device.

It sounds like you just want to be able to sell their device as your own, without making any changes to the physical device or to its intended use?

The same manufacturing facility is good, but I think a key question is whether your device is also going to be manufactured in that facility with the same validated manufacturing process. As a regulated product, a medical device is ultimately defined by its specifications and a manufacturing process that has been validated to show that it will reliably produce devices that meet those specifications.

If the tests were done on devices that were manufactured by the same validated process that will be used to manufacture your device, then those tests are equally applicable to your device, so I wouldn't think repeating them would serve any purpose.

"Specifications" is tricky. People toss this term around like a rubber ball. Changing part numbers will not "raise any new questions of safety and effectiveness." Labelling might, depending on what you are changing on the labelling. What impact "etc" might have, I can't say.

This is definitely not my strong suit, but I think I'm pretty much on point with what I have said so far. Maybe someone else can pick it up from here and add some clarifications.
Dear Watchcat,
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, our predicate is other company product
Yes our device is also going to be manufactured in the same validated process...
Labelling only we will change company name and address..etc i think it will not effect any safety of the device.

Any comments are welcome. Please look on this ...

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
This is a pretty unique situation. [email protected] might be better suited to the specifics as this is something few people have dealt with.

I think you need to have the same equipment and details the original company had or how could you test device changes or complaints?

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
This is a pretty unique situation.
Actually, I don't think it is all that unique, just not "innovative" so very low profile.

In old industry, companies that sold medical devices often wanted to fill gaps in the product offerings. (Think "one-stop shopping" and "frequently bought together.") They didn't want to develop new devices; they wanted to sell existing devices. They didn't especially want to manufacture these devices, either. So they worked out an arrangement with a company that already manufactured the device they wanted. They would be able to brand and sell it as their own; the other company would continue to manufacture the devices. (How long has it been since most companies actually manufactured all, or even most, of the products that they sell?) Win-win.

More recently, this has exploded with the advent of remote home patient monitoring. Now everybody and their brother wants to brand pulse oximeters, stethoscopes, etc, as their own, so they can sell a "home monitoring kit" (not necessarily a kit as FDA defines them) to go along with their software. Like cell service providers pushing phones so you will use their service. Just like the cell service providers, they don't want to develop or manufacture these devices, just sell them so people will use their service.

If the contractual arrangement is solid, the manufacturer will give them access to all the information they need for regulatory compliance. Regardless, the manufacturer may often handle device changes and even complaint, because it's really the manufacturer's device.

I think some or all of this may fall under "relabeling," but the regulatory burden is often too low to need any significant RA expertise, so I don't have much in the way of first-hand knowledge.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A FDA 510(k) Submission Timelines US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Demonstrating battery safety in 510(K) submission for the FDA Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
S FDA Draft Guidance on HLA Kits 510(k) Submission 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
D FDA 510(k) Submission Tests - Posterior Cervical Spinestem 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T IEC 62304:2006: Medical device software SDLC- CE Vs. Fda 510(k) submission IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 16
T Submission of 510(k) - Does the FDA require a predefined structure of the content? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R EC11 - Guidance Document - FDA 510 (k) Submission - ECG Monitors 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
D FDA Question: Contents of an FDA 510(k) Submission ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T FDA level of concern vs IEC 62304 safety classification - 510(k) exempt device Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
Ed Panek ANNUAL FDA Registration - What 510(k) number to use? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
K Mammography Machine Bench Testing - FDA 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat Informational FDA Proposal to "Modernize" the 510(k) - 2019 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
M FDA News US FDA – November 2018 510(k) Clearances Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News FDA Report - FDA Has Taken Steps to Strengthen The 510(k) Program Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA - Transformative new steps to modernize FDA’s 510(k) program to advance the review of the safety and effectiveness of medical devices Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA - Eliminating Routine FDA news 14-09-18 - Re-Review of Third Party 510(k) Reviews Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA News - 06-09-18 - FDA - Quality in 510(k) "Quik" Review Program Pilot Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R FDA in 2018 - Obstructing and Over-regulating 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Q FDA:Expansion of the Abbreviated 510(k) 2 Program 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
F FDA PMK 510(k) - IEC 62304 Software Components Segregation Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
I FDA Exempts Product Codes from 510(k) Process (Class II Medical Devices) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ronen E FDA releases new draft guidance on when to submit a 510(k) for device modification Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
E FDA Consensus Standards in 510(k) - Declarations of Conformity US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K 510 (k) - Requirement to notify the FDA or is only the Notified Bodies required? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
M New FDA Draft Guidance on 510(k) Ownership and Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Ajit Basrur FDA issues Guidance Document - Benefits-Risks Factors to consider for 510(K) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A FDA 510(k) Payment requirements for a Small Company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Biocompatibility omission justification for FDA 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M What are FDA expectations regarding Standards referenced in the 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
T Conformance Standards that the FDA recognizes for 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R FDA 510(k) Cover Letter Contents US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
A How do I inform FDA on discontinuation of 510(K) device ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Ronen E FDA distributes draft guidance related to X-ray Imaging Device 510(k)s Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N New Actions for the FDA's 510(K) Program ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
Michael Malis FDA to release proposed 510(k) improvements today US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Special 510(k) FDA experience? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
M Interested in improving the FDA 510(k) system? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T Applying for FDA 510(k) for 21 CFR 892.2050 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
R FDA 510(k) Summary and FDA 510(k) Statement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
M FDA 510(k) Summary and FDA 510(k) Statement Differences 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
bio_subbu FDA Guidance document - User Fees and Refunds for 510(k) submissions 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
C The warning letter of ONBO - Why FDA require identification of 510(k) ownership? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
C FDA delaying notification of receipt of 510(k)'s - What wrong with FDA? - China US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C Will FDA check the 510(k) files in field inspection? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C 510(k) Timing from Submittal to FDA Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
C Australian Medical Device Database like the US FDA's 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1