FDA Approved Class II Medical Device?

DonkeyKang

Starting to get Involved
I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. My company likes to refer to things as "FDA Approved", but since we are developing a class II medical device, we are not FDA "Approved", but rather "Cleared" via 510(k). My question is - can a Class II medical device ever claim to be "FDA Approved", since a Class II device doesn't require a PMA?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
I am not an expert, but I know my last employer was chided by an FDA inspector for saying on our website that a 510(k) cleared device was "FDA Approved". The website was updated while the FDA inspector was still there and nothing was written up.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. My company likes to refer to things as "FDA Approved", but since we are developing a class II medical device, we are not FDA "Approved", but rather "Cleared" via 510(k). My question is - can a Class II medical device ever claim to be "FDA Approved", since a Class II device doesn't require a PMA?
No.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Yes, you can, but should you?

CDRH will say no if you ask it, but it's pretty commonly done (especially in press releases) and CDRH rarely goes out of its way to address it. Jaydub's experience is pretty typical. Picked up on an inspection, not because CDRH on the lookout, and then just "chided" and let go once it was changed.

It might get more attention if your competitors complain to CDRH about it.

If you have another issue that makes CDRH unhappy, it's unhappiness is likely to escalate if it finds you are also touting a cleared device as approved, And once you have its attention, it will probably notice.

Depending on how knowledgeable your customers are, it could also do your credibility some damage. I know I'm not impressed when I see a company do this. I tend to attribute it to ignorance, rather than to malice, but I'm not impressed by ignorant companies. In particular, I have found many physicians are keenly aware of the difference, so I wouldn't recommend making this mistake with them.

DonkeyKang

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the responses guys. So, in a nutshell, there is no such thing as an "FDA Approved Class II Medical Device".

This seems like a pretty big deal that isn't really mentioned a whole lot.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
This seems like a pretty big deal that isn't really mentioned a whole lot.
I think that it's pretty well known across the industry, that's why it's not discussed intensively. It comes up in Elsmar every once in a while.
How intensively it's being enforced, I do not know. I remember reading several warning letters issued for this cause.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
If the predicate was the subject of a PMA that was submitted to and approved by FDA, then at least the notion of an "FDA Approved" predicate is logical. As for the rest, I'm not sure what you mean by "validating against the predicate."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D FDA filing guidance to add sterilization step for approved drug Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
J FDA approved Medical Devices for PVD and DLC Coatings US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
H IVD in US Phase III Clinical Trial - Non-CE Marked and Non-FDA Approved Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Mexico: Paths to approval for product that is CE-marked, but not FDA approved? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N Has the FDA approved Electron Beam for Sterilization of bottles? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Ronen E FDA approved the OraQuick In-Home HIV Test US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P FDA Approved API (Active Pharmaceutical Listing) Bioequivalence Study Lab for India Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
M ISO 10993 for Fabric based Electrode - Finding already FDA Approved Materials Other Medical Device Related Standards 11
A US FDA Approved Materials (which can be used for Medical Devices) List? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V Advantages of ISO 13485 or 9001 Certification for FDA Approved and Regulated site ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Pest Control - FDA approved list of Pesticides to use for Pest Pontrol in a Cleanroom Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 10
C Guidance for exhibitors in US - Promote non-FDA approved products to non-US customers US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Le Chiffre Using the phrase "Approved by FDA" in Marketing and Advertising Material US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
M FDA or USDA Approved Cleaners - Cleaning Agents like Detergents Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 11
C FDA Approved Ultrasonic Equipment - FCC Requirements for US sales US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J List of FDA approved Manufacturing facilities (India) ?? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
K Dried Food Packaging - Getting FDA registered / approved US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S List of Approved Test Laboratories by FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Could we get FDA approval just for subsystem - FDA approved medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Mislabeling - Consider this an FDA notified recall? CFR 806.10 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
O Hospital-Developed, In-House Device - FDA Clearance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8