Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

FDA Approved Class II Medical Device?

DonkeyKang

Starting to get Involved
I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. My company likes to refer to things as "FDA Approved", but since we are developing a class II medical device, we are not FDA "Approved", but rather "Cleared" via 510(k). My question is - can a Class II medical device ever claim to be "FDA Approved", since a Class II device doesn't require a PMA?

Jaydub

Involved In Discussions
I am not an expert, but I know my last employer was chided by an FDA inspector for saying on our website that a 510(k) cleared device was "FDA Approved". The website was updated while the FDA inspector was still there and nothing was written up.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. My company likes to refer to things as "FDA Approved", but since we are developing a class II medical device, we are not FDA "Approved", but rather "Cleared" via 510(k). My question is - can a Class II medical device ever claim to be "FDA Approved", since a Class II device doesn't require a PMA?
No.

Watchcat

Quite Involved in Discussions
Yes, you can, but should you?

CDRH will say no if you ask it, but it's pretty commonly done (especially in press releases) and CDRH rarely goes out of its way to address it. Jaydub's experience is pretty typical. Picked up on an inspection, not because CDRH on the lookout, and then just "chided" and let go once it was changed.

It might get more attention if your competitors complain to CDRH about it.

If you have another issue that makes CDRH unhappy, it's unhappiness is likely to escalate if it finds you are also touting a cleared device as approved, And once you have its attention, it will probably notice.

Depending on how knowledgeable your customers are, it could also do your credibility some damage. I know I'm not impressed when I see a company do this. I tend to attribute it to ignorance, rather than to malice, but I'm not impressed by ignorant companies. In particular, I have found many physicians are keenly aware of the difference, so I wouldn't recommend making this mistake with them.

DonkeyKang

Starting to get Involved
Thanks for the responses guys. So, in a nutshell, there is no such thing as an "FDA Approved Class II Medical Device".

This seems like a pretty big deal that isn't really mentioned a whole lot.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator
This seems like a pretty big deal that isn't really mentioned a whole lot.
I think that it's pretty well known across the industry, that's why it's not discussed intensively. It comes up in Elsmar every once in a while.
How intensively it's being enforced, I do not know. I remember reading several warning letters issued for this cause.

Watchcat

Quite Involved in Discussions
If the predicate was the subject of a PMA that was submitted to and approved by FDA, then at least the notion of an "FDA Approved" predicate is logical. As for the rest, I'm not sure what you mean by "validating against the predicate."

Top Bottom