FDA Compliant Quality System for Virtual Manufacturing (IVD Medical Device)?

J

jewel1130

Hi all, I'm hoping you will have some ideas about this...

I'm setting up a quality system for a small company in the USA that is working on development of their first in vitro diagnostic device (instrument, reagents, software) with plans to market in Europe and the USA.

In this situation, we will be the primary developers and the legal manufacturer of the device, but we have no plans to actually manufacture any components at our company. All manufacturing of the instrument, reagents, consumables and software is being done by contract manufacturers under our control.

My question is, when setting up our required quality system docs/SOPs for this type of situation, would you implement corporate procedures like design controls, CAPA, trianing, complaint handling, etc but "skip" any procedures that don't apply to us because they are really manufacturing-type proceudres (for example, line clearance, product status tagging, incoming inspection, warehousing, etc) and just mention how you evaluate/select/monitor the suppliers? Or would you put some sort of a procedure in place that briefly mentions these topics and points to the CMOs? (I hope that make sense). Also, would you describe which activities are being specifically performed by CMOs in the quality manual?

Thanks!

Julie

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

SpartanBio

Involved In Discussions
I have seen both done. I think that you need to do what works for both you as a company and the contract manufacturer. One company I did some contract work for actually wrote all the manufacturing procedures and provided them to the contract manufacturer that way they had control over the process and understood and new what was suppose to be happening at all times. If you have hired the contract manufacturer one can only hope that you have audited them and reviewed their Quality Manual and feel comfortable that they can provide you with what you need on a consistent basis. I hope this helps a little.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Developing a ISO/FDA Compliant Supplier Quality Assurance System - Medical Device Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
P Sample FDA compliant CAPA procedure wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Compliance and Certificate requirements for FDA Compliant Wheelchair Factory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
H Is this training records signature app FDA compliant? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
D FDA Compliant QMS Software Recommendation for Small Company Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
D FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Digital (electronic) Signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Medical Device Reporting Procedures compliant with FDA and CE Marking Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
bio_subbu FDA Re-Inspection User Fees for Non compliant Manufacturers 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
F Conversion from Agile - Need cheaper FDA compliant software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
D Affordable electronic CAPA system (compliant to FDA 21 CFR Part 11) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
N Suggestions for FDA compliant QA procedure for invitrodiagnostic device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M FDA Compliant Company - which procedure addresses Customer Order Changes/Requirement? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
D FDA Compliant Electronic Records - Requirements, definitions, maintenance and archive Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Mislabeling - Consider this an FDA notified recall? CFR 806.10 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
O Hospital-Developed, In-House Device - FDA Clearance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational US FDA – Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 052 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational Work in progress at the FDA for biological evaluation – Color Hazard and RISk calculator (CHRIS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – CDRH Proposed Guidances for Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0