FDA electronic submission gateway (ESG): FAILED eMDR Submission

srrbell

Starting to get Involved
Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me deal with an eMDR submission failure that was noticed too late...

I've been using FDA'S ESG to electronically submit MDRs for a couple years now and am familiar with the process. Unfortunately, as we're a small company with limited reports coming in or going out, no one else in the company is really up to speed.

When I was out of the office for a week back in March, my coworker tried to file an MDR electronically (which was actually the addition of a manufacturer narrative in response to a user facility-generated MedWatch report). She did "package" the report using the FDA's eSubmitter software, but she never logged into the gateway (ESG) online to formally submit it. So as far as the FDA is concerned, the MDR was never actually filed. There was another issue similar to this, where the report WAS submitted through ESG, but the "acknowledgments" weren't reviewed carefully... come to find out, the submission actually failed, and now we're past the 30-day deadline. :frust:

Has anyone ever had any experience with these types of problems? (I know it's highly unlikely, but) is there any way to explain these errors/oversights to the FDA so we can correct this problem and/or file late without being penalized?

Thank you for taking the time to read this; any help or experience you can offer would be greatly appreciated! :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I've been trying to activate my ESG account for 2 months now! absolutely horrible experience, either they want you to report or not. I've had to get documents notarised and electronic certificates especially created its crazy, but I could get a 483 for not doing it, and on top of it I have to perform a mock EMDR!:frust:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Providing Regulatory Submissions for Medical Devices in Electronic Format – Submissions Under Section 745A(b) of the Federal F Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P FDA inspections and electronic signatures Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Medical Device News FDA News - 12-09-18 - MD Submissions to Electronic Format to Improve Efficiency Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
M Has anyone had their electronic system scrutinized in an FDA inspection? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 16
R Electronic Submissions to the FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
S Electronic Record Retention per FDA Requirements - Electronic Data Capture (EDC) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
bio_subbu FDA releases draft guidance on Providing Regulatory Submissions in Electronic Format Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
B Electronic Record File Format (Pdf & Tiff) - Acceptance by FDA? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
AnaMariaVR2 XML, eCTD & FDA - Electronic Information and Data Submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Digital (electronic) Signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Electronic Submissions to the FDA (CBER) - Making Electronic Submissions (BLAs) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Electronic Signature Documents - FDA Requirements for Retention and Hardcopy Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
R Possible to have a completely electronic archival system that meets FDA requirements? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 17
Q FDA: File an electronic Registration of Drug Establishment/Labeler Code 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Affordable electronic CAPA system (compliant to FDA 21 CFR Part 11) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D FDA Compliant Electronic Records - Requirements, definitions, maintenance and archive Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A Electronic Records for FDA - Canned computer program for our Corrective Action system Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
P Choice of FDA reviewer US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Definition Human Use (FDA) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8