SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

FDA Labeling Regulations - 21 CFR part 801.109(c) vs (d): Prescription Labeling

A

ariannas

I am having trouble understanding part of the FDA Labeling regulation (21 CFR 801). Specifically, there are two paragraphs that I have read several times, but as far as I can tell, they say the same things with different words.

My usual strategy when I run into problems like this is to read the commentary in the associated Federal Register. But that's not an option since FR copies from 1976 aren't available online.

I would be very grateful to anyone who can tell me what the difference between paragraphs 801.109(c) and (d) are below (I have aggressively trimmed preceding text for brevity). Barring that, if there is some super-secret part of the Internet where I can pick up a copy of 41 FR 6896 (Feb 13 1976...)

§ 801.109 - Prescription devices.

A device ....shall be exempt from section 502(f)(1) of the act if all the following conditions are met:

(a) The device is: ... in the possession of [licensed practitioners and various other sorts] and is to be sold only [to practitioners]

(b) The label of the device, other than surgical instruments, bears...The statement "Caution: Federal law restricts this device to sale by or on the order of a ____" and ... The method of its application or use.

(c) Labeling on or within the package from which the device is to be dispensed bears information for use, including indications, effects, routes, methods, and frequency and duration of administration, and any relevant hazards, contraindications, side effects, and precautions under which practitioners licensed by law to administer the device can use the device safely and for the purpose for which it is intended, including all purposes for which it is advertised or represented: Provided, however, That such information may be omitted from the dispensing package if, but only if, the article is a device for which directions, hazards, warnings, and other information are commonly known to practitioners licensed by law to use the device. Upon written request, stating reasonable grounds therefor, the Commissioner will offer an opinion on a proposal to omit such information from the dispensing package under this proviso.

(d) Any labeling, as defined in section 201(m) of the act, whether or not it is on or within a package from which the device is to be dispensed, distributed by or on behalf of the manufacturer, packer, or distributor of the device, that furnishes or purports to furnish information for use of the device contains adequate information for such use, including indications, effects, routes, methods, and frequency and duration of administration and any relevant hazards, contraindications, side effects, and precautions, under which practitioners licensed by law to employ the device can use the device safely and for the purposes for which it is intended, including all purposes for which it is advertised or represented. This information will not be required on so-called reminder--piece labeling which calls attention to the name of the device but does not include indications or other use information.

Any help or comments would be much appreciated!

Arianna
:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: 801.109(c) vs (d): prescription labelling

(c) pertains to on/with/in-product labels and IFU inserts.

(d) pertains to marketing materials and advertising.

Obviously these are overlapping categories in many instances; but not always, thus the two statements.

K

Katalina

Warnings - both device label and IFU

Regarding a professional use only device - I recently corrected a packaging engineer who told me that if a device warning is contained within the product IFU, it does not need to appear on the label. I said yes, this warning of possible allergic reaction also had to be contained on the label of the device itself. Not only do users not refer to the IFU if they have used the product before, but having the statement on the label is protection for the company. But because "labeling" includes both the label and the IFU, I am having trouble finding this in print to show him - that a warning must be included on the device label as well as in the device IFU. Can anyone assist me with this?

M

MIREGMGR

The written rules are minimums. It's fine to meet minimum requirements for some information categories. I wouldn't see it as at all device-safety-prudent/liability-exposure-sensible to do just the minimum in regard to an allergy warning...especially given that some users do not/will not read the IFU.

Especially if, as I think your post implies, this is a change in the device's materials or performance that will not be apparent to a previous user of the device.

Does the on-product label contain an ISO-symbolic-for-MDD/text-for-FDA statement that the user must review the IFU?

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Does the on-product label contain an ISO-symbolic-for-MDD/text-for-FDA statement that the user must review the IFU?
In terms of liability, I think the reference to the IFU (symbolic or textual, as appropriate for the regulatory domain) would suffice. If the user fails to follow, it's their responsibility.

In terms of risk management / usability ("real need", "common sense"), the risk of the user not being aware of a contraindication should be evaluated based on the most up to date and relevant facts, and acted upon accordingly.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J FDA regulations vs. IEC 60601-1 Labeling Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A FDA - Labeling and Advertising Regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA draft guidance – Testing and Labeling Medical Devices for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G FDA UDI markings "label" vs. "labelling" (labeling)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
E FDA Supplier Labeling Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T FDA proposed labeling standalone software cloud based US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
O OTC Pharmaceuticals Labeling Submissions to the FDA Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
F Is Training Material Considered Labeling - FDA 21 CFR 801 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
L Device Labeling - Stand Alone Symbols of ISO15223 no longer FDA recognized Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Does FDA allow e-labeling? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
F "Labeling" vs "Accompanying Documentation" - FDA Definitions IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 2
D FDA Guidance on 'Latex-Free' Labeling Issued Today - March 2013 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T FDA Labeling Requirements Vs Health Canada Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
I FDA Labeling Requirements for ASR (Antibodies) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W FDA Labeling Requirements - Instruction for Use Content 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S New FDA Guidance document released for Promotional Material, Labeling, etc Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
C FDA Labeling Requirements and Company Brochures and Web Site Content US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Minimum US FDA Labeling Requirements for a Class II Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B Labeling for FDA and CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 1
E FDA (US Food and Drug Administration) Labeling Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M FDA Unique Device Identifiers on the labeling of devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Do Package Inserts Meet the FDA Definition of Cut Labeling? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
A FDA product Labeling Question - Re-selling and Re-labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Recognized Symbols for Device Labeling? 510k to the FDA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S Interesting Discussion FDA 510(k) required? US company Private Labeling an FDA Class II Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 34
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B FDA Breakthrough Device can be overlapped with a designated device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Examples of FDA acceptable Software Design Specification (SDS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Watchcat FDA vs NB Fees? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
K FDA Registration and listing weird situation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D FDA Information - Revising the Instructions for Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P MSDS for MVQ FDA White, Vinyl Methyl Silicone Rubber EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Mechanical Test Under FDA Freedom of Information Act Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
C RA (Regulatory Assurance) Training (FDA) looking for resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5