FDA Medical Device Registration - Scenario - Two Companies

I

IDENT12345

I need some guidance on the following scenario....

Company "A" is a foreign ISO approved company and manufacturers a class I device known as XXX. Company "A" is the product specification owner of XXX and is registered with the FDA as a class I device. Company "B" is located in the US and has asked company "A" to manufacture device XXX and label it with company "B" name and change the device name YYY. In addition, company "B" has requested the menu on the device be changed. Once product labeling is complete, company "A" will package the product and label the packaging with company "B" name. The product will be shipped to company B in the US and warehoused until distribution (w/in and outside US). :bonk:

Question:
1.) Is company "B" considered a an initial importer, relabeler, or specification developer for device YYY?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

I need some guidance on the following scenario....

Company "A" is a foreign ISO approved company and manufacturers a class I device known as XXX. Company "A" is the product specification owner of XXX and is registered with the FDA as a class I device. Company "B" is located in the US and has asked company "A" to manufacture device XXX and label it with company "B" name and change the device name YYY. In addition, company "B" has requested the menu on the device be changed. Once product labeling is complete, company "A" will package the product and label the packaging with company "B" name. The product will be shipped to company B in the US and warehoused until distribution (w/in and outside US). :bonk:

Question:
1.) Is company "B" considered a an initial importer, relabeler, or specification developer for device YYY?
Within the US, "B" could be an Initial Importer, distributor and maybe Complaint Handler, if that's so arranged. In that case, "A" is the Manufacturer, and the device is subject to the FDA Private Labeling rules.

Or, within the US, "B" could be a Specification Provider and Initial Importer if they wanted to take regulatory responsibility for the device, in which case "A" would be a Contract Manufacturer.

In the first scenario, exports to the EU and Australia would be at least inconvenient, because the players' regulatory stances would have to be different in those regulatory jurisdictions.

In the second scenario, assuming that "B" has a CE Mark and an EU Representative, "B" could direct "A" to apply that CE Mark and other appropriate information to the device labeling, and export to EU and Australia would be straightforward.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
and export to EU and Australia would be straightforward.
Just to highlight that a CE mark in itself is not sufficient for export to Australia; an ARTG Inclusion would be required as well. The process for Including a properly CE-marked device is quite straightforward, indeed.

I

IDENT12345

Thanks. The device is already CE marked by company "A" and company "B" would follow FDA label requirements, so the label would indicate "Manufactured for company "B". Wouldn't CE mark apply to company "B" device since company "A" already has CE mark? Can you point me to a reference? Thanks

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
The CE Mark from Company A wouldn't apply to Company B. If Company B wants to CE-Mark the product and ship the product as their own with their own labeling, then they would need to get their own CE Mark. CE marking isn't transferable. In this instance, it sounds like Company B may be able to CE-OBL via Company A. But first you may want to examine how much the Company B-ordered menu changes the device from the CE-marked one from Company A to a different device that isn't covered by Company A's tech file. :agree1:

See: the MDD and its definition of "manufacturer."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Patient Engagement in Design and Conduct of Medical Device Clinical Investigations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Sam Lazzara Medical Device File (MDF per 13485:2016 4.2.3) versus FDA Device Master Record (DMR) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Medical Device User Fee Rates for Fiscal Year 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational How the FDA Uses Science to Speed Medical Device Innovation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L A Taiwan company want to sell Class I medical device (510(k) exempt) on Amazon, should we register with FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Informational US FDA – Statement on agency’s efforts to increase transparency in medical device reporting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Patient-Reported Outcomes (PROs) in Medical Device Decision Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Guidance update – Requests for Feedback and Meetings for Medical Device Submissions: The Q-Submission Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M How to Select FDA Medical Device Product Code? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
M Informational US FDA – Patient Preference Information (PPI) in Medical Device Decision-Making Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R US FDA Mandatory Labelling contents for an OTC medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
M Informational FDA Qualifies First Biomarker Test as Part of Medical Device Development Tools (MDDT) Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
C FDA Medical Device Label Requirements - serial numbers Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Ed Panek Website to ask FDA for guidance in Medical Device Industry? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Referencing Medical Device in FDA records - Package contains several other components Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
N Per the FDA regulations can a medical device be class I despite that it is sterile? Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S FDA approval process for medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M FDA News The FDA Issues Final Rule on Medical Device Classification Procedures Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R How to keep track of all FDA rules and regulations for medical device companies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M FDA Considers Shift on Medical Device Quality System Regulations - 2018 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Does FDA allow comparing with the competitors Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
shimonv Summary of FDA Guidance on “Medical Device Accessories” (Dec 2016) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
I The likelihood of approval by the FDA for a Class II Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
B Will FDA Inspect a New Coating Supplier for a Class III Combination Medical Device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
F CE and FDA Mark on same IVD/Medical Device Label EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S FDA Class I Medical Device Safety and Efficacy Data Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
I FDA Class II Medical Device Clinical Trials and and FDA IDE Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
B FDA Listing of a Class I Medical Device in USA (Manufactured in China) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
Ronen E FDA encourages industry to participate in Medical Device Single Audit Program (MDSAP) Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
M IEC 62304, ISO 14971 and FDA Medical Device SW Guidance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
F EU Useability Study for FDA? Class II Medical Device IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 10
somashekar FDA proposal on Medical Device Accessory Risk Assessment Other US Medical Device Regulations 15
T FDA Requirements - Class 1 Exempt Medical Device Recall ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I FDA FURLS Medical Device Listing Naming Scheme 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A What to expect if FDA wants to inspect a Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A FDA Medical Device Reprocessing Guidance - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
R FDA's guidance - Evaluation of Sex-Specific Data in Medical Device Clinical Studies Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
H FDA/PMA/Medical Device/Before submission/Manufacturing facility change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1