SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

FDA Part 820 Clause 820.100 Corrective and Preventive Action

P

pangchiaboon

Dear Sir, i do not understand about FDA Part 820 Clause 820.100 Corrective and Preventive Action:

(1) Analyzing processes, work operations, concessions, quality
audit reports, quality records, service records, complaints,
returned product, and other sources of quality data to identify
existing and potential causes of nonconforming product, or
other quality problems. Appropriate statistical methodology
shall be employed where necessary to detect recurring quality
problems

Can you please give me some example on how to comply with "appropriate statistical methodology shall be employed where necessary to detect recurring quality problems" ? Thank you.

Pang Chia Boon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

What USFDA is requiring here is that continuing statistical records be kept so as to create visibility of a repeating problem.

Let's say that you make a product in batches. The current batch has a few out-of-spec parts, but not enough to disqualify the batch, so you pass it.

Then the next batch has a few out-of-spec parts, but not enough to disqualify the batch, so you pass it.

Then the next batch has a few out-of-spec parts, but not enough to disqualify the batch, so you pass it.

What FDA wants is for you to have a system that clearly shows you that you have a continuing problem in your process, or whatever's being tracked. Or, conversely, those same statistics would show you, your management, or an auditor or FDA inspector that a subcritical issue in a particular batch was unique to that batch and not part of a continuing pattern.

Such a tracking system of course also will show when a continuing problem has been fixed, because the %-of-out-of-spec-parts curve will show an improvement at the point in time when the fix was implemented. This is your means of proving that your CAPA system works.

Of course, in a more complex setting, for instance with many factors being tracked, more complex statistical analysis is needed; thus FDA's wording. The basic concept however is the key.

bio_subbu

Super Moderator
Dear Sir, i do not understand about FDA Part 820 Clause 820.100 Corrective and Preventive Action:

(1) Analyzing processes, work operations, concessions, quality
audit reports, quality records, service records, complaints,
returned product, and other sources of quality data to identify
existing and potential causes of nonconforming product, or
other quality problems. Appropriate statistical methodology
shall be employed where necessary to detect recurring quality
problems

Can you please give me some example on how to comply with "appropriate statistical methodology shall be employed where necessary to detect recurring quality problems" ? Thank you.

Pang Chia Boon
Hi Pang Chia Boon

FDA QSR (Quality System Regulation) Subpart J, section 21 CFR 820.100 refers to analysis of data sources to identify existing and potential causes of nonconforming product and other quality problems including customer complaints, returned product, servicing, post market surveillance, medical device reporting, corrections and removals. To detect recurring quality problems, the statistical methods should be used. You may want to use appropriate statistical technique/methods such like statistical process charts, Pareto analysis, design of experiments, histograms, and scatter plots and etc..

M

MetrologKh

Hi all!

I am wander if this requirements covers not only product quality but processes quality as well.
My question is - how can I use statistics to track minor process nonconformities? I need some technique to detect trends. And how can I reveal "recurring quality problems" in the mass of minor nonconformities?

I will be appreciate for any advices!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
R How to improve a Validation program and procedures to FDA (21 CFR part 820) & ISO13485 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Marc Problem with 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) sub-forum link - 2 May 2019 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
B Classes/ Online Training on ISO 13485:2016 and FDA QSR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Change Control - Compliance with FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
S Does FDA expect suppliers to be independently assessed to 21 CFR Part 820 ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T Can I approve my own Documentation per FDA QSR 21 CFR Part 820? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Does any one have FDA 21 CFR Part 820 QSR training material? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
A Question about FDA 21 CFR Part 820.90 Nonconforming Product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
B FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Medical Device Audit Criteria US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Q Books that have a combination of ISO 13485 and FDA Title 21 CFR Part 820 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
C Chinese Version of FDA Code 21 CFR Part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
T Matrix for Documented Procedures (US FDA Part 820, ISO 13485 and ISO 9001) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Q FDA 21 CFR part 820.22 - Reaudit schedule necessary? Internal Auditing 6
S FDA part 820 Software Validation - Can software be retrospectively validated? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 10
S FDA Part 820 Audit vs. ISO 9001 - Anything I should be aware of as an auditor? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
R FDA Part 820 Quality System Regulation - 820.198 Complaint files ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
S Documents / Following Procedures - FDA 21 CFR Part 820 Quality System Regulation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
C Definition Finished Medical Device - Definition of - FDA 21 CFR Part 820.1 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 13
J ISO 13485 vs. FDA QSR (21 CFR Part 820) - Differences - Includes Spreadsheets ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 64
G FDA QSRs and ISO 9001:2000 - CFR 21 Part 820 and CFR 21 Part 58 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA & 21 CFR Part 11 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 19
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
QIE FDA 21 CFR Part 11 "Meaning of Signature" Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational FDA Qualifies First Biomarker Test as Part of Medical Device Development Tools (MDDT) Program Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Suggestions for Electronic Signature Software (FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
V Data Quality and Data Integrity - Audit Trail - Part 11 - WHO - FDA - MHRA - PDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
V Development Data - Part 11 for report compilations excerpts of which filed to FDA Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
B Has FDA amended any standards in the 21 CFR Part 800 series? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
D Compliance to 21 CFR Part 11 Require Registration to FDA? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
S Our device as part of another company?s device ? FDA liability? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
A FDA Labeling Regulations - 21 CFR part 801.109(c) vs (d): Prescription Labeling Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
S FDA Device Listing Question - "Each Device" Definition - 21 CFR Part 807 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
D FDA 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant Digital (electronic) Signatures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
L FDA GMP requirement: Avoid Non contact with floor? 21 CFR Part 110 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
P Any one know about FDA's GMP, 21 CFR Part 111 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 14
D Affordable electronic CAPA system (compliant to FDA 21 CFR Part 11) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S FDA CFR Part 56,58,812,809 checklist General Auditing Discussions 0
C Software recommendations for CAPA that will meet the FDA QSR & Part 11 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 4
L Medical Devices FDA 510k third part review? Class II Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Rework Requirements - ISO13485 Part 8.3 vs. FDA QSR ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Ed Panek FDA Remote Regulatory Assessment (RRA) Overview 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B What is the difference btw RUO vs IUO for IVD in FDA guidance ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
B How to submit Pre-submission to FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B A.I diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Ed Panek 2020 FDA Top Ten Observations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M FDA Requirements for Investigational Devices - Clinical Investigation & Shipping Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B FDA Breakthrough Device can be overlapped with a designated device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3