FDA proposal on Medical Device Accessory Risk Assessment

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
FDA proposing to regulate medical device accessories based on the risks they present when used as intended with their parent devices and not based on the risks of their parent devices. For example, if a parent device warrants regulation as a Class II device but an accessory to the parent device presents lower risks, FDA would regulate the accessory as a Class I rather than a Class II device.
This could be helpful and useful to a lot of manufacturer's..
Read more HERE

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Chrisx

Involved In Discussions
Re: FDA proposal on Medical Device Accessories

At least for me the guidance is not helpful at all. We manufacture spinal implants, with a complete line of surgical instruments designed to be used with the implant. For example, this might be a screwdriver. According to this guidance, the screwdriver might be a class I device product code HXX. Alternatively, the FDA might decide on the basis of risk that it is to be regulated as an accessory to the implant. Product code HXX is exempt from design controls, but spinal implants are not. I can never be sure if the instruments are subject to design controls. FDAs suggestion is that I submit a de novo for every instrument we manufacture to determine the device classification. This is a practical way to determine device classification for a simple surgical instrument!:mad:

Furthermore, the guidance doesn't really describe how a class II device accessory is to be regulated. Does the screwdriver need its own 510(k)? Does it require predicate? What if I change the material of the screwdriver, does this require a special 510(K)? Where would I find the predicate for the screwdriver, since code HXX is exempt from premarket notification.

Of course, I have picked an extreme example by selecting the screwdriver. However there are many instruments. Product codes have no definition with them to help understand what device applies. For example, there is a product code HXE for "fork". A rod fork is a fork shaped device used with pedicle screws for distraction. Does a rod fork belong to code HXE? It becomes very hard to know whether a device will be considered an orthopedic manual surgical instrument according to 21CFR888.4540 or an accessory. One can never know for sure when design controls or premarket notification is required. Too bad FDA can't agree to classify accessories on their own, like most other countries.

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource

I agree that what's missing is more guidance as to what are the implications of accessories.

For example, I have a system that consists of a Class II device (parent), and a remote-control ("accessory"), which have gone through 510k.
So, under the system 510k, the remote-control is also considered Class II.

What happens if I apply de novo classification for the remote-control to have it downgraded to Class I with it's own procode? Would this mean that I'm now essentially manufacturing 2 separate devices that should be treated independently?

...that said, I probably need to do a bit more reading... :read:

----

On another note, I imagine the FDA is setting themselves up to receive a flood of de novo requests from this document. ...I hope they've prepared for a backlog! :lol:

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

What happens if I apply de novo classification for the remote-control to have it downgraded to Class I with it's own procode? Would this mean that I'm now essentially manufacturing 2 separate devices that should be treated independently?
Yes.

:yes:

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

The definition of "accessory" requires that the accessory is specifically
intended by the manufacturer of the accessory to be used together with a
device. The intended use of the accessory must be such as to enable a device
to be used in accordance with its intended use. Therefore a product can only
become an accessory to a medical device if the manufacturer of such a
product establishes an intended use in conjunction with one or several
medical devices.

MEDDEV gives the above definition for medical device accessory.
THIS thread adds some more.
Also the Similar Discussion Threads under is valuable.
So an orthopedic tool does not become an accessory.
You may also have a case where the accessory class can be higher to that of the medical device ...

Mark Meer

You may also have a case where the accessory class can be higher to that of the medical device ...
...so then what would be the reason a manufacturer of such an accessory to make a de novo application? ...it'd only just make their life more complicated.

As far as I can tell the FDA isn't mandating classifying accessories in this way. ...so the question is why would a manufacturer choose to?

Certainly in this case (and even, to a lesser extent, with downgrading the accessory class) it seems like a whole lot of headache...especially if the device and accessories are all being manufactured together under the same controls anyway...

M

MIREGMGR

As far as I can tell the FDA isn't mandating classifying accessories in this way. ...so the question is why would a manufacturer choose to?
My employer markets several hundred products that are accessories to devices for which we are not regulatorily responsible. Our products meet the definition of accessory, and do not meet the definition of device. A significant hoop-jumping exercise is required by FDA to regulate them as devices in their own right.

Quite a few of these are low risk accessories for medium risk 510(k)ed products where our products were not included in the 510(k), either because the maker of the 510(k)ed product isn't making any money off our accessory so they didn't see a reason to include it, or our accessory didn't exist yet when the 510(k) was created.

So maybe the new guidance is our fault. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Meer

...products that are accessories to devices for which we are not regulatorily responsible. Our products meet the definition of accessory, and do not meet the definition of device...
MIREGMGR: can you give example(s)?

My confusion stems from the following device definition:
"...instrument, apparatus, ...., or other similar or related article, including any component, part, or accessory"

and accessory definition: "A device that is intended to support, supplement, and/or augment the performance of one or more parent devices"

(underlines added)

So I'm confused as to how something can be a medical device accessory, but not a device...

M

MIREGMGR

I appreciate the difficulty of dealing with FDA's legacy wording choices.

The full definition of "device", of course, is:

...an instrument, apparatus, implement, machine, contrivance, implant, in vitro reagent, or other similar or related article, including a component part, or accessory which is:
-recognized in the official National Formulary, or the United States Pharmacopoeia, or any supplement to them,
-intended for use in the diagnosis of disease or other conditions, or in the cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, in man or other animals, or
-intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of man or other animals, and which does not achieve its primary intended purposes through chemical action within or on the body of man or other animals and which is not dependent upon being metabolized for the achievement of any of its primary intended purposes.​
Historically, FDA has considered medical products that are "intended to support, supplement, and/or augment the performance of one or more parent devices", but by themselves do not meet one of the three definitional conditions above except in a procedural proximity sense, to be accessories and therefore subject to most device regulation but not devices in their own regard.

Some Product Codes explicitly include relevant accessories. Others do not; whether relevant accessories are covered by them is a complicated question. Some Product Codes describe product types that arguably do not meet the device definition above, except in a broad sense; it appears to me that historically such Product Codes were intended to encompass the accessories to another device type.

As an example, there is a separate product code for a mounting trolley for an overhead suspended, track mounted surgical light. I don't know why in an historical sense, since surgical light mounting historically has been arranged by the light system manufacturer and has been specific to a particular light design, and surgical lights historically have required a 510(k). Therefore one would think that the mounting trolley would be included in the light system's 510(k). To the best of my knowledge, no 510(k)s have ever been issued under this mounting trolley Product Code.

I've discussed this Product Code with FDA, because (for a complex reason) we've considered marketing a mounting trolley for another device maker's surgical light system. My view, and I think FDA's as well, is that such a mounting trolley would be an accessory and subject to some device regulations, but not a device in its own regard.

Michael Malis

Quite Involved in Discussions

MIREGMGR said:
I've discussed this Product Code with FDA, because (for a complex reason) we've considered marketing a mounting trolley for another device maker's surgical light system. My view, and I think FDA's as well, is that such a mounting trolley would be an accessory and subject to some device regulations, but not a device in its own regard.
I am not sure about this statement, because from the regulations point of view, you need to prove that your mounting trolley is working with another manufacturer device.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Watchcat Informational FDA Proposal to "Modernize" the 510(k) - 2019 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
H Definition Human Use (FDA) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Mislabeling - Consider this an FDA notified recall? CFR 806.10 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
O Hospital-Developed, In-House Device - FDA Clearance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational US FDA – Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 052 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational Work in progress at the FDA for biological evaluation – Color Hazard and RISk calculator (CHRIS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – CDRH Proposed Guidances for Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – URGENT/11 Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities in a Widely-Used Third-Party Software Component May Introduce Risks During Use of Certain Medical Dev Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Biological Responses to Metal Implants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0