FDA Registration Requirements for Multiple Sites

Hi. I would like some advice on how to handle the following situation:

Site A.- Is currently operating as the manufacturer/spec developer for a single medical device. Site A is now too small. As a result Site B is being built directly behind Site A (same driveway but different physical address). Site B will house the corporate Staff including QA. Site A will continue to manufacture the medical device product, although now, the R&D, QA, and executive staff will be located in Site B. As a result, design and post market activities will be managed from Site B.

Is there a need to change the registration for Site A to only Manufacturer and explicitly list Site B as the Spec Developer? I've been at larger organizations where "Corporate" is located across the country from the manufacturing sites and had separate registrations... but given the proximity of both buildings and the direct accessibility of all required resources, I wasn't sure if this was necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
My intuition is to keep A and B as a single site (assuming that they operate under a single QMS); all that'd be required is to update the street (physical) address in A's registration, such that it includes B too (e.g. 16-18 noname street, Bestzoneever, Lala Land 99999).

Thanks for the response... Yes, I should have stated that both buildings will be under the same QMS. With that, I guess the simple question for me to determine is if two addresses can be listed on 1 Establishment Registration. Based on your comments, this sounds like it may be possible.

Thanks again.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
As far as I know, the only thing FDA uses the registration address(es) for are correspondence and to find the registered facilities when it wants to inspect them. I'd worry more about any mail from FDA addressed to your executive staff going astray (because I've seen it happen when the C-Suite relocated just a few blocks away, sigh) than FDA inspectors not being able to find Site B if it shows up at Site A. I wouldn't expect any legal repercussions just because your registration neglects to mention that the spec developers are now in the next building. (Not materially false, misleading, adulterated, misbranded, etc.)

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
If two immediately-adjacent street numbers are listed as a single site, I don't see why the owner/operator of that site should advise the FDA which functions are in each number/building. I also don't think the FDA expects to know that other than when visiting.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
As per Self-Identification of Generic Drug Facilities, Sites, and Organizations , separate buildings within close proximity are considered to be at one geographic location or address if the activities in them are closely related to the same business enterprise; are under the supervision of the same local management; and are capable of being inspected by FDA during a single inspection.

Additionally, per SOP-000051, "Close Proximity" is defined as
i. Within a campus setting
ii. Within three miles driving distance of each other
iii. The buildings MUST be within the same State and the United States Judicial District Court area

If two immediately-adjacent street numbers are listed as a single site, I don't see why the owner/operator of that site should advise the FDA which functions are in each number/building. I also don't think the FDA expects to know that other than when visiting.
Thanks for the advice!

Can you advice how to start a facilities validation master plan for a new R&D and technical support facility to comply with ISO13485.
my company is a medical device manufacturer

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B FDA - New Establishment Registration and Device Listing Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 14
A Convenience Kits - FDA Registration Responsibilities and Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
L Distributor Registration - FDA Registration Requirements for a Distributor 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Importers - For the FDA Registration/ Listing, is the CMO the importer? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
JoCam FDA Registration for Sub-contract manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
J FDA Establishment Registration Foreign Manufacturer RUO only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S FDA Registration food facility - We operate under CGMP guidelines US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
V Determining FDA 820 (registration) vs ISO 13485 - Supplier gives us the kit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D FDA Registration - MD, OTC or Dietary Supplement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur FDA - Tobacco Registration and Product Listing US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
P FDA's DRLM (Device Registration & Listing Module) Listing Number Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
I FDA Medical Device Registration - Scenario - Two Companies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Z Re-packager/Re-Labeler - FDA Registration question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J FDA classification and registration for a software plugin 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
S Is FDA Establishment Registration required for clinical manufacturing ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
S FDA Establishment Registration for Testing Laboratories 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Is FDA Establishment Registration for Bulk packaging Contract Manufacturers ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B How does a Kit Assembler proceed after FDA Establishment Registration? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
A FDA Registration for Mulitple Site Locations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S FDA facility Registration Imported Legacy Blogs 2
E FDA guidance on Foreign establishment registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
J Establishment registration FDA 'Foreign exporter' 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B How to change the FDA Device Registration and Listing Module - Owner/Operator Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
Y Thai FDA Medical Device Registration with 2 distributors Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D Compliance to 21 CFR Part 11 Require Registration to FDA? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
thisby_ FDA, IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-1-2 - Registration of similar product US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
R Is a Quality Manual a requirement for FDA registration? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
B Need help in adding second location to FDA Registration Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
E Initial Registration of an Establishment with FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
ScottK Some hypothetical situations regarding FDA registration: 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Training on FDA "Establishment Registration" US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q FDA Registration and Importing Medical Device Components 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Do we need FDA Establishment Registration for Bone Screws? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 21
M Contract Manufacturer of a Non-Invasive, Non-Sterile Device and FDA Registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D FDA Establishment Registration for Software Company US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
C FDA Registration as a Marketing Tool - Contract Manufacturer of Components US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
K FDA Medical Device Registration and Listing Number and Information Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
bio_subbu US FDA Guidance on Medical Device Establishment Registration and Listing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
E Questions about FDA registration and 510k application 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
E Does European Manufacturer with ISO 13485 need QSR820 for FDA registration? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Q FDA: File an electronic Registration of Drug Establishment/Labeler Code 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
A FDA - Registration & Listing Updating + when Purchasing another Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
F Accelerate the possesing of ISO 13845 and CAN/CSA-certifications a FDA registration 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
S FDA Registration - How to renew our registration for medical devices to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
Ajit Basrur Change in FDA Establishment Registration Fee process wef Oct 1, 2008 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
H Exempt from FDA Registration or not? Company that makes parts for medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
S FDA Annual Registration - Any harm to be FDA (form FDA 2891a) registrated 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B New FDA Forms - 2891 Registration of Device Establishment, FDA 2892 Device Listing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6