FDA Remote Regulatory Assessment (RRA) Overview

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
  • It's ok to decline this FDA offer of this RRA but it could cause an earlier onsite
  • Passing the RRA pushes your audit scheduled to some # of years later
  • No 483 are possible but if major violations are found could trigger an immediate onsite audit
  • Usually, a 1-hour meeting starts the day with discussion and requests
  • emailing requests. FDA can accept up to 100MB per email so adjust your email server accordingly
  • On-Call from 9:30 to 3:30 for questions from FDA
  • Top-Down - SOP to records
  • Topics so far - CAPA, NCR, Complaints, Investigation, Corrections and MDR, Design Controls, A review of your latest design change, Training Specifically for Management Rep and meeting attendees and production key persons responsible for QC checks, Supplier approval and monitoring.
  • A verbal closing meeting with any findings
  • Have to FOIA the memo from FDA written to document in your QMS

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Nice summary, thanks!

Do RRAs tend to last about as long as onsites? Or are they a good bit longer or shorter?

Ed Panek

Staff member
Super Moderator
Shorter. They are covering topics lightly and as usual always CAPA + 1 subsystem. They are auditing 3-4 companies at a time.

Ed Panek

Staff member
Super Moderator
Also be careful of submitting your FOIA too early. There is a FOIA log on the FDA website with more examples

2021-2582 (April 2021)
Seventh Generation​
Please provide me with the report from the Seventh Generation Remote Regulatory Assessment
No Record(s)​

2021-4167 (June 2021)
Seventh Generation
Summary Report for Seventh Generation Medical Device Remote Regulatory Assessment conducted 04/13/2021 - 04/15/2021
Closed

The first example they submitted the FOIA too early and they closed the request with no records. They had to resubmit.

Ed Panek

Staff member
Super Moderator
Also be careful of submitting your FOIA too early. There is a FOIA log on the FDA website with more examples

2021-2582 (April 2021)
Seventh Generation​
Please provide me with the report from the Seventh Generation Remote Regulatory Assessment
No Record(s)​

2021-4167 (June 2021)
Seventh Generation
Summary Report for Seventh Generation Medical Device Remote Regulatory Assessment conducted 04/13/2021 - 04/15/2021
Closed

The first example they submitted the FOIA too early and they closed the request with no records. They had to resubmit.

Here are some notable ones

POLITICO I request all records of communications between FDA and the White House regarding cases of myocarditis among Covid-19 vaccine recipients. Please include all meeting logs and associated agendas on this topic.

The New Yorker correspondence to or from the Director, his Chief of Staff, the Principal Deputy Director, the Chief Medical
Officer, and the Deputy Director for Infectious Diseases that discusses the response (including, but not limited to, plans, operations, and communications) of the White House (including, but not limited to, the President, Vice-President, Chief of Staff, Senior Advisors, and National Security Council) to the novel coronavirus outbreak.

POLITICO I request all records of communications between FDA and the CDC regarding cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome associated with the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine.

POLITICO I request all records of communications between FDA and the CDC regarding cases of myocarditis and pericarditis among recipients of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna Covid-19 vaccines.

POLITICO I request all records of communications between FDA and the CDC regarding the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine pause in April 2021. Please include all meeting logs and associated agendas on this topic.

POLITICO I request all records of communications between FDA and the White House regarding cases of Guillain-Barre syndrome associated with the Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS 1. For all accounts managed by the Food and Drug Administration, all of the metadata information contained in the email headers relating to emails: A: Sent To, From, CC, or BCC from the following addresses or accounts: [email protected]; [email protected]: [email protected]; and [email protected]. B: Sent To, From, CC, or BCC to any address ending in the domain: @biogen.com C: Containing any of the following terms in the subject line: “Call” “Meeting” “761178” “Talk” “Approval” “Accelerated” and “Good.”

THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS Under the Federal Freedom of Information Act, please provide any and all correspondence related to tests of Oleandrin on patients by Houston physician Dr. Kimberly Dunn, FROM Dr. Stephen Hahn and/or his staff TO Dr. Ben Carson and/or his staff. (Please note that under my earlier request 2021-2973 (still pending), I had asked for correspondence going the other direction, i.e. from Carson to Hahn.) Thank you.

Ed Panek

Staff member
Super Moderator
The letter FDA responds with for FOIA look like this:

Dear Requester: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has received your Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request for records regarding: Summary Report for COMPANY XXXX Medical Device Remote Regulatory Assessment conducted 08/03/2021 – 08/06/2021 by Talmane Fisher, FDA

We will respond as soon as possible and may charge you a fee for processing your request. If your informational needs change, and you no longer need the requested records, please contact us to cancel your request, as charges may be incurred once processing of your request has begun. For more information on processing fees, please see FOIA Fees.

Due to an increase in the number of incoming requests, we may be unable to comply with the twenty-working-day time limit in this case, as well as the ten additional days provided by the FOIA. The actual processing time will depend on the complexity of your request and whether sensitive records, voluminous records, extensive search, and/or consultation with other HHS components or other executive branch agencies are involved.

Please note that requests for medical device approval records (e.g. 510K, PMA, DEN) may take up to 18 to 24 months to process. If you have any questions about your request, please call Rochelle A. Coleman, Information Technician, at (301) 796- 8982 or write to us at: Food and Drug Administration Division of Freedom of Information 5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1035 Rockville, MD 20857 If you call or write, use the FOIA control number provided above which will help us to answer your questions more quickly.

You also have the right to seek dispute resolution services from: Office of Government Information Services and/or FDA FOIA Public Liaison National Archives and Administration Office of the Executive Secretariat 8601 Adelphi Road – OGIS US Food Administration College Park, MD 20740-6001 5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1050 Telephone:202-741-5770 Email: [email protected] Toll-Free: 1-877-684-6448 Email:[email protected]

Ed Panek

Staff member
Super Moderator
Also this:

8/6/2021 conclude RRA with FDA

Ask about timing to FOIA the report memo for our records; two weeks should be fine, per FDA auditor.

8/23/2021 request FOIA to FDA for memo

FDA RESPONSE:
The requested records have not been completed please cancel your request and wait 60 days to reapply for the items.

Please respond to this email with your cancellation.

Best regards,

I then respond to this email requesting to cancel my FOIA request.

I receive an out-of-office message for two weeks and a new person's email to work with.

I forward my cancellation request to this new person and they too have an out-of-office message.

I can't make this up.

Why must I cancel my FOIA request? Why cant they wait until the records are available?

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
Why cant they wait until the records are available?
Just a guess, but...

Perhaps response time is one of their performance metrics. This allows them to turn off their meter and reduce "average" turnaround time. In FOIA's defense, if it works like it does in a lot of organizations, this metric may have rolled downhill onto FOIA, which may have little to no control over how soon "other HHS components or other executive branch agencies " will complete the requested documents and make them available to FOIA. This provides cover for those who are way behind in their paperwork.

Back during my grassroots activist days, the new head of our local 911 center ask me to help persuade our city council to fund much-needed improvements, including certification to a recognized national standard. Among other things, he discovered that the previous director had set the system to automatically disconnect calls that hadn't been answered after a certain number of minutes, to reduce the average response time. If you've ever spent a long time waiting for customer service or tech support to pick up, only to get disconnected, they've probably done the same thing, for the same reasons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Does FDA allows remote approvals of quality documentation. Is there any specific guidance on signing any quality records remotely? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Guidance on X-Ray Medical Devices for Animal Use - FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S FDA 510(K) submission question US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
T FDA UDI Question - Class II Medical Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
P Does FDA require certification for quality system internal audit for auditor? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
I If i do not want to be an initial importer should i register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B When FDA Decision Summary opens? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
B What is the difference btw RUO vs IUO for IVD in FDA guidance ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 12
B How to submit Pre-submission to FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L FDA & 21 CFR Part 11 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 19
B A.I diagnostic software is considered as medical device in FDA? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Ed Panek 2020 FDA Top Ten Observations 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M FDA Requirements for Investigational Devices - Clinical Investigation & Shipping Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
B FDA Breakthrough Device can be overlapped with a designated device? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
S Examples of FDA acceptable Software Design Specification (SDS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
F Labelling to comply with both FDA and MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
Watchcat FDA vs NB Fees? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
K FDA Registration and listing weird situation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
D FDA Guidance on Computer Software Assurance versus 21 CFR Part 11 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D FDA Information - Revising the Instructions for Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P MSDS for MVQ FDA White, Vinyl Methyl Silicone Rubber EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Mechanical Test Under FDA Freedom of Information Act Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
C RA (Regulatory Assurance) Training (FDA) looking for resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
E FDA 513(g) Cover Letter US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Records - Do's and don't' of record entries (FDA - 21 CFR 820) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
B New Facility register with FDA Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J FDA regulation on decorative contact lenses Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Writing a presubmission to the FDA prior to the De novo submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
K Two FDA questions regarding UDI (and potentially 803.52 MDR) Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R Importers - For the FDA Registration/ Listing, is the CMO the importer? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
Z Iterative development and FDA change requests IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 13
P FDA Approved Product Contact Parts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Clarifying FDA definition of "finished device" and “capable of functioning” 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7