FDA UDI with Multiple Packaging Configurations

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Hi Everyone,

Really frustrated with the FDA's UDI help desk (they take weeks to send you a copy-and-pasted response, and then close the ticket before you can reply), so was hoping someone here could offer some wisdom....

Here's the situation:
We have a device (510(k) approved), that has multiple packaging configurations (e.g. left/right, small/medium/large, and a "kit" that has all sizes).

The FDA UDI help desk informs me that each configuration must have its own device identifier (DI).

Here's the problem:
  • There is only one 510(k) associated with the device.
  • Only one device listing can be created in the FDA FURLS database for a given 510(k), and this listing requires a DI be specified.
  • The GUDID system requires a device listing (registered through FURLS DRLM) be specified for each entry.

Hence, for a given 510(k) number, it seems that it is impossible to create multiple DIs, such that the information in the FURLS DRLM device listing and GUDID align.

I could go ahead and register DIs for each packaging configuration through the GUDID and cite the same device listing, but these DIs would not correspond to the DI entered in the FURLS device listing.

Anyone have any experience registering multiple package configurations through the GUDID help me out with how this is done?
MM

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Help: UDI with Multiple Packaging Configurations

I am 99.7% positive that you can create multiple DIs using the same 510(k) number.
If you are referring to their GUDID system, you are correct.
...but the FURLS device listing manager, on the other hand, can only create ONE device listing per 510(k), and there is a SINGLE field for a DI when creating the listing.

The issue I'm expressing here is the disconnect. The UDI Help Desk is telling me to create multiple DIs, but the FURLS DRLM can only accommodate one.

I don't know if this is separate offices/departments not communicating or what...but so far my efforts to get a straight answer from the FDA have been nothing but aggravating! :frust:

missjenny

Involved In Discussions
Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

However, from what I understand, isn't the device identifier section optional at this point when you are doing your device listing? Also, if you so desired, couldn't you just simply add a proprietary name to the existing one and change the device identifier that way? I have not tried it so if it is not possible, I apologize.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
G FDA UDI markings "label" vs. "labelling" (labeling)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
N Will an FDA UDI be compatible with a European MDR UDI? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D FDA UDI Class I Compliance Date Extended US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
Pmarszal FDA Global UDI Database: Record Submission Retention Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Q US FDA UDI Compliance Question - Class II (Special Controls) Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
Ronen E FDA issues draft guidance on form & content of UDI Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
bio_subbu FDA issues Guidance on UDI - Frequently Asked Questions, Vol. 1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
bio_subbu FDA issues Small Entity Compliance Guidance for UDI Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K UDI (Unique Device Identification) requirements of US FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L New Website from the FDA concerning UDI Exceptions, Alternatives and Time Extensions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Ajit Basrur ICCBBA Is Now an FDA-Accredited Issuing Agency for Unique Device Identifiers (UDI) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Sam Lazzara 12 Steps to FDA UDI (Unique Device Identification) Compliance (2013 - 2015) Other US Medical Device Regulations 45
X FDA UDI (Unique Identification) amendment on 19 Nov 2012 - Date of 'final rule'? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K Are you wondering about FDA's UDI rule? Here's a non-exhaustive summary: Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S US FDA Unique Device Identification (UDI) Proposed Rule 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 18
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Mislabeling - Consider this an FDA notified recall? CFR 806.10 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
O Hospital-Developed, In-House Device - FDA Clearance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 052 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0