FDA Warns Consumers Nationwide Not to Eat Certain Types of Raw Red Tomatoes

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
As per FDA News, FDA Warns Consumers Nationwide Not to Eat Certain Types of Raw Red Tomatoes ,

The Food and Drug Administration is expanding its warning to consumers nationwide that a salmonellosis outbreak has been linked to consumption of certain raw red plum, red Roma, and red round tomatoes, and products containing these raw, red tomatoes.

FDA recommends that consumers not eat raw red Roma, raw red plum, raw red round tomatoes, or products that contain these types of raw red tomatoes unless the tomatoes are from the sources listed below. If unsure of where tomatoes are grown or harvested, consumers are encouraged to contact the store where the tomato purchase was made. Consumers should continue to eat cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and tomatoes sold with the vine still attached, or tomatoes grown at home.

On June 5, using traceback and other distribution pattern information, FDA published a list of states, territories, and countries where tomatoes are grown and harvested which have not been associated with this outbreak. This updated list includes: Arkansas, California, Georgia, Hawaii, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Belgium, Canada, Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Israel, Netherlands, and Puerto Rico. The list is available at www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/tomatoes.html#retailers. This list will be updated as more information becomes available.

FDA’s recommendation does not apply to the following tomatoes from any source: cherry, grape, and tomatoes sold with the vine still attached.

FDA recommends that retailers, restaurateurs, and food service operators not offer for sale and service raw red Roma, raw red plum, and raw red round tomatoes unless they are from the sources listed above. Cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, and tomatoes sold with the vine still attached, may continue to be offered from any source.

Since mid April, there have been 145 reported cases of salmonellosis caused by Salmonella Saintpaul nationwide, including at least 23 hospitalizations. States reporting illnesses linked to the outbreak include: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin. Salmonella Saintpaul is an uncommon type of Salmonella.

Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections particularly in young children, frail or elderly people, and those with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, the organism can get into the bloodstream and produce more severe illnesses. Consumers who have recently eaten raw tomatoes or foods containing raw tomatoes and are experiencing any of these symptoms should contact their health care provider. All Salmonella infections should be reported to state or local health authorities.

FDA recognizes that the source of the contaminated tomatoes may be limited to a single grower or packer or tomatoes from a specific geographic area. FDA also recognizes that there are many tomato crops across the country and in foreign countries that will be ready for harvest or will become ready in the coming months. In order to ensure that consumers can continue to enjoy tomatoes that are safe to eat, FDA is working diligently with the states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Indian Health Service, and various food industry trade associations to quickly determine the source of the tomatoes associated with the outbreak.

FDA is taking these actions while the agency continues to investigate this outbreak with state and federal partners. Such actions are a key component of FDA’s Food Protection Plan, a scientific and risk-based approach to strengthen and protect the nation’s food supply.

FDA will continue to issue updates as more specific information becomes available.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Thanks for posting a copy of the official release. As you may imagine, the story has received WIDE publicity throughout the US, with many grocers and restaurants posting large "explanation" signs to alert customers why they are not offering tomatoes.

Howard Lee

Trusted Information Resource
I picked my first vine ripened tomato two weeks ago. Last night I invited Mom over to get some because some are starting to get too ripe.
:topic:
That reminds me, one Thanksgiving I was preparing a turkey when I realized that salmonella and hallelujah had the same number of syllables. I was singing salmonella...salmonella...(to the hallelujah chorus) as I washed the turkey. My wife was going to have me committed (some sicker than others).

C

Craig H.

I hope that they don't throw all of the suspect tomatoes out. With election season coming up soon they could come in REAL handy....

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Friends,

You enjoy eating tomatoes? You want to be safe? Grow 'm yourself! :D

No space? They do well in flower pots. Look here.

Well, here is my contribution to the safety and well-being of my Fellow Covers. ;)

Stijloor.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
AnaMariaVR2 St. Jude Medical does the unthinkable: Warns of FDA warning letter before FDA issues US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
Ajit Basrur FDA warns public of continued extortion scam by FDA impersonators US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur FDA warns on Hot Dog Chilli Sauce US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Mislabeling - Consider this an FDA notified recall? CFR 806.10 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
O Hospital-Developed, In-House Device - FDA Clearance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
D FDA Approved Class II Medical Device? Other US Medical Device Regulations 11
R When does the FDA consider a component a medical device? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Informational US FDA – Ear, Nose, and Throat Devices; Classification of the Self-Fitting Air-Conduction Hearing Aid Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Informational US FDA – Modifications to the List of Recognized Standards, Recognition List Number: 052 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Breast Implants – Certain Labeling Recommendations to Improve Patient Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Looking for third party reviewers for FDA submissions US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Informational Work in progress at the FDA for biological evaluation – Color Hazard and RISk calculator (CHRIS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA – CDRH Proposed Guidances for Fiscal Year 2020 (FY 2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Coronary, Peripheral, and Neurovascular Guidewires – Performance Tests and Recommended Labeling Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clinical trial - Medical device product not cleared (without FDA approval) in a drug trial Other US Medical Device Regulations 9
William55401 How Often Does FDA State Consultant Recommended in a Pharma WL? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Informational US FDA – URGENT/11 Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities in a Widely-Used Third-Party Software Component May Introduce Risks During Use of Certain Medical Dev Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA paper – Biological Responses to Metal Implants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
V Presubmission FDA for 510k US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
M Informational US FDA Draft Guidance – Clinical Decision Support Software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final and update guidances – Software Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational From Medtech Insight – QSR/ISO 13485 Harmonization Update: FDA Enforcement Discretion Likely When New Rule Stands Up; Draft Reg Coming By Year’s End; Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
F FDA-registration and inspection cost 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1