Feature perpendicularity dimension should be good up to how many decimal points?

S

Salman

If print calls for perpendicularity to be 0.01mm max, should the part be rejected if perpendicularity is 0.011mm?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Feature dim should be good upto how many decimal points?

If print calls for perpendicularity to be 0.01mm max, should the part be rejected if perpendicularity is 0.011mm?

Assuming that your measurement system is OK, the part must be rejected.

Stijloor.

S

Salman

What if the perp is at 0.0101 against the spec of 0.01 max?

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource

Same holds true. Max is max, anything over .01 - no matter how many decimals - is out of spec. Does not mean it is not usable - that is a design question. Also, chances are if you are that close, and you are not 100% measuring the dimension, others are worse - just based on sampling error (not to mention gage error). Maybe you can get a deviation, but technically it is out.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

Bob is correct. Out of spec is out of spec and renders the part nonconforming. Most organizations have a process in place for dealing with nonconforming product. The decision whether or not to accept this part will like be made by persons authorized to do so.

Stijloor.

S

Salman

Thanks for replies guys.

But it did not answer the question I had in mind. And it is because I used a wrong example.
I will explain it with another example later.
I am in a hurry right now.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks for replies guys.

But it did not answer the question I had in mind. And it is because I used a wrong example.
I will explain it with another example later.
I am in a hurry right now.

Can't wait to see it...:D

Stijloor.

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
If it was 0.010000000000000000001 it would be nonconforming. That is if you could measure it. Look at 2.4 in the attachment.

Attachments

• Ansi y14.5m 2-4.pdf
    77.1 KB · Views: 172
S

Salman

Thanks again guys. I understand where I was wrong. No need for any more examples from me. :)

Top Bottom