February 2010 Windows Update Causes BSOD for Alureon Rooted XP Users

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Just a heads up for XP users. This month's batch of patches from Windows Update includes a special surprise for some users:
If you use Windows XP and haven’t yet updated your system with the applicable security updates that Microsoft issued Tuesday, you might want to hold off for a bit. Turns out, a non-trivial number of XP users are reporting that their systems suffer from the dreaded Blue Screen of Death(BSoD) and fall into an interminable reboot loop after installing the latest batch of patches from Redmond.
Read more

This is the reason that I always have Automatic Updates turned off, and always wait at least 3-4 days after updates are available before downloading an installing them.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

Mauri

Re: February 2010 Windows Update Causes BSOD for Some XP Users

Upon doing a search on that problem you mention, it seems that there is one update that is causing the problem. KB977165 is the guilty update according to this article although I personally didn't have the BSOD issue and have not tried the fix that is recommended. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1
This is the link to the site with an answer on how to fix the issue.

M

mguilbert

I had this issue with my wifes law office computers. Had to call dell ($129), several system tests, had to reinstall windows XP. I am out town right now but she has called and has stated that she is still having issues:mad:. I agree with Marc, I have also notified my companies IT dept about this issue.

Not much into conspiracy but I wonder if MS did this to get people to purchase new computers with Vista or Windows 7.
:2cents:

Thanks Marc for forwarding this to members of the Cove. I would suggest bumping this the next few days to keep it at the top of the discussion board for others to see.

To change automatic update settings:
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Automatic Updates
Change to your preference

Death to the BSoD

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

I had this issue with my wifes law office computers. Had to call dell ($129), several system tests, had to reinstall windows XP. I am out town right now but she has called and has stated that she is still having issues:mad:. I agree with Marc, I have also notified my companies IT dept about this issue.

Not much into conspiracy but I wonder if MS did this to get people to purchase new computers with Vista or Windows 7.
:2cents:

Thanks Marc for forwarding this to members of the Cove. I would suggest bumping this the next few days to keep it at the top of the discussion board for others to see.

To change automatic update settings:
Start
Settings
Control Panel
Automatic Updates
Change to your preference

Death to the BSoD
You can also access the automatic updates controls by right-clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties from the context menu, then Automatic Updates from the resulting dialog box.

In researching this issue I found out something about Windows Update that I didn't know before. Early reports about the subject patch said that MS had removed it from Windows Update pending investigation, but I found that it was still available. It turns out that the updates you see when you do "manual" updating might be different from what's offered through automatic updating. MS had removed the offending patch from the latter but not the former, apparently on the assumption that people doing their own updating are better-informed than their automatic-updating counterparts.

After it became apparent that the "bad" patch was bad only in systems with some sort of malware issues I did a fresh clone of my desktop hard drive, then went ahead and downloaded and installed the patch with no issues. The only odd thing was that the patch took nearly ten minutes to install.

MS issues new updates on the second Tuesday of each month (unless something really urgent is going on) but the updates might not be available until sometime on the following day. If you choose to turn off automatic updating, MS maintains a newsgroup for reporting issues and getting help. If you use Usenet you can access the group at microsoft.public.windowsupdate, or you can access a web version here. The web interface is a little clunky, so I recommend the Usenet version. If there are issues with any particular patch, they'll appear there in fairly short order, and the information can help you to decide what to do.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin

Microsoft has confirmed that the blue screen of death issues that affected a slew of users after the latest batch of Patch Tuesday updates is the result of an existing infection by the Alureon rootkit. There was widespread speculation after the patch release that simply installing the MS10-015 update was causing the BSOD condition on some Windows 32-bit machines. However, Microsoft said at the time this was not the case and started an investigation into the problem. In an advisory released Thursday, the company said that it now was confident that the restart problem is being caused by the Alureon rootkit.

So - If you did get the BSOD your computer was already rooted...

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Microsoft has confirmed that the blue screen of death issues that affected a slew of users after the latest batch of Patch Tuesday updates is the result of an existing infection by the Alureon rootkit. There was widespread speculation after the patch release that simply installing the MS10-015 update was causing the BSOD condition on some Windows 32-bit machines. However, Microsoft said at the time this was not the case and started an investigation into the problem. In an advisory released Thursday, the company said that it now was confident that the restart problem is being caused by the Alureon rootkit.

So - If you did get the BSOD your computer was already rooted...
I guess installing the patch is a good way to check for the rootkit. :tg:

M

mguilbert

Finally got the office computers working correctly. After doing a recovery with the pay for help from Dell, the internet was not working correctly (favorites etc...). Before doing a recovery remember to uninstall Internet Explorer first. A virus scan was performed and a few viruses were detected.

Thanks again for the list of possible affending updates.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Finally got the office computers working correctly. After doing a recovery with the pay for help from Dell, the internet was not working correctly (favorites etc...). Before doing a recovery remember to uninstall Internet Explorer first. A virus scan was performed and a few viruses were detected.

Thanks again for the list of possible affending updates.
You can't uninstall IE completely. If you've installed IE8 you can uninstall it and revert to whatever was there before (6 or 7). If you've installed XP SP3 you won't be able to uninstall IE 7 at all.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Engineering Technician - Suspense 11 February 2021 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Marc Security in Health Industry Software - February 2020 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
M Informational Commission Regulation (EU) 2019/319 of 6 February 2019 amending previous regulations as regards health certification at import into the Union concerni Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S New problems exporting to Germany - February 2019 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 Areas of Impact - Rules 5th Edition Document (February 2017) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
M Winds hit Nevada, US - 6 February 2015 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
Sam Lazzara February 2013 Medical Device "State-of-the-Art" updates Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Colin QMS IA Training Course in UK - 21st/22nd February 2013 Internal Auditing 4
M PDCA Free Webinar - 14 February 2013 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N Clarification on Canada's ESDM's and ECA's and the February deadline Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
Sidney Vianna AS9101 E - A Revision to AS9101 is forthcoming - Possibly February 2013 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W MDDS Final Rule Published - February 15, 2011 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur New FDA Chief Viewpoints - February 2009 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Marc The death of Dr. Joseph M. Juran on February 28, 2008 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 21
Wes Bucey Super Bowl poll - Closes 3 February 2007 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 54
V 15th Annual International Conference on ISO 9000 - February 26-27, 2007, Orlando, FL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K PPAP Manual Fourth Edition will be available to order in advance on February 24 APQP and PPAP 4
R New Virus Alert - 3 February 2006 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Worm set to Delete data files on February 3 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
Marc Registered User Article Poll - February 2005 Registered Visitor Articles Archive 5
R Latest TickIT Version as of February 2005 - Issue 5 Software Quality Assurance 2
M Is That A Knife In My Back?!?! Quality Digest (February 2002) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 40
H Critical Supplier Agreement acc. to NBOG 2010-1 Annex II EU Medical Device Regulations 10
Q Is EN 55011:2009+A1:2010 is expiring in early 2019? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C IEC 60601-1-6 2010 maps to IEC 62366:2007 - What about 62366-1:2015? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
I Process compressed air and contact with the product (ISO 8573-1:2010) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
T ISO 12100:2010 - Machine Safety Requirements Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
E Differences between IEC 60601-1-11:2015 and 2010 Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
L GMW15920-2010 Records Retention for GM Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R How to combine ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 29001:2010 into a single QMS Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
M VDA 6.3 - 2010 (newest) advanced excel form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
E Gap Analysis for VDA 6.3:2010 and ISO/TS16949:2009 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
L IEC 60601-1 Amendment 1 3rd Edition and Brazil ABNT NBR IEC 60601-1:2010 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
B Inquiry about IEC 60601-2-10:2012 & IEC 60601-1-11:2010 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
W The 2nd printing of the AWS D17.1 2010 which was 2011 - Page missing? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
E EN 61010-1:2010 Requirements Interperation for a Product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
B Cross-reference list/table between HTM 2010 and ISO 17665 Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
4 Understanding ILAC policy P14:12/2010 6.3 part a) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 28
Marc Guide To Inspections Of Medical Device Manufacturers - 1997 (06/08/2010) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
P SharePoint for Document Control - 'Workflows' using SharePoint 2010 Enterprise Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J When will EN 60601-2-4:2010 be harmonized? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
1 Excel 2010 Conditional Formating of Text Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
W EN ISO 15225 (2010) - Medical Device Nomenclature - A Harmonized Standard? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M ILAC p14:12/2010 - Accredited Calibration Certificate Uncertainty General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Putting Data Macros in a Form Fields - Access 2010 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
J MS Office 2010 - Control of Records - ISO 9001 Clause 4.2.3 c Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
T US Crime (1970 through 2010) - News Article World News 5
Ajit Basrur Corruption Perception Index (CPI) 2010 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
D EFQM (European Foundation For quality Mgmt) 2010 - Processes, Products & Services Service Industry Specific Topics 1