Final drop dead registration date for automotive suppliers

R

Rick Goodson

I received a phone call from an organization that is a tier two and tier three supplier into the automotive industry. They have been notified they need to be certified/registered (ISO) by January 1, 2003 or they lose the business. They indicate they are in process of documenting their system but can not be finished before mid year at best. Anyone had any similar situations and what did you recommend?

A

Angela-2007

Do you know what company told them that they had to be registered? Last notice I received said that Chrysler and GM wanted registration by 2004 and Ford by 2006. And we are a tier one supplier.

Angela

A

Angela-2007

Sorry by bad. They need to be registered to ISO what? ISO9000:2000, ISO-9001, ISO-9002, Qs or TS? What I said in my previous post applies to TS

Angela

T

tomvehoski

Sounds like their customer is QS-9000 registered and discovered the C9 interpretation that states all subcontractors must be ISO 9000 registered by the end of this year. I believe this is the only automotive specific mandate that would directly affect a tier-2.

See www.qs-9000.org for details. There are also a couple other threads about this change on this board - QS-9000 forum I think.

Their customer runs the risk of an audit nonconformance if their supply base does not conform to the new requirement. The customer can request a waiver from the end customer, or perform a second party audit. Appendix I (point 4) also gives an "out" for small suppliers, but again their customer must decide which way to go.

If the customer wants to work with them they may be able to get the system done without an iterrruption in business. If the customer has an alternative source that is already ISO, they could be in trouble. I had a client with the same issue beginning of last year - they started losing business (calibration) because they ignored the ISO Guide 25/17025 mandate of QS-9000. Customers started calling in early 2001 because they were getting written up on their audits. They lost a lot of business over the three month period it took us to get a system in place.

Tom

A

Angela-2007

They also have the option of a 2nd party OEM assessment. If there customer is QS-9000 with a lead auditor they could perform the assessment and that would meet the requirement.

Angela

R

Rick Goodson

Thanks for the input!

I'll pass on your remarks and see what they want t do.

W

wcsf - 2008

Hi there, this is true for the company (customer) who has certified for QS or in the process of certifiying to ISO/TS. under the requirement of 7.4.1.2, the company supplier shall be 3rd party registered unless otherwise specified by company customer. But you are allowed to prioritize.

Top Bottom