Financial results - What lean should save

C

chockie

Has anyone out here got a general view on what lean should save in figures ie 2 - 3points on EBIT or 10% saving on operating profit.

What i am looking for are some typical results expected form implementing lean within a typical organisation.

any help????

Chockie :bonk:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: Financial results

Welcome to The Cove! :bigwave:

I have never seen a general view on what Lean would save in EBIT, typical results, etc. If a consultant presented such a promise to me without doing an analysis first, I'd show him or her the door. Even Nutrisystem says (in small print) "Results not typical" when showing its Super Studly pictures.

That said, Dr. Juran once estimated that 15%-20% of sales are being lost to costs of poor quality. That's sales, mind you, not EBIT.

Is this a class assignment?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Has anyone out here got a general view on what lean should save in figures ie 2 - 3points on EBIT or 10% saving on operating profit.

What i am looking for are some typical results expected form implementing lean within a typical organisation.

any help????

Chockie :bonk:
Hi Chockie,

What work have you done already that you can share with us?
Fellow Covers would be happy to take a look at it...

Stijloor.

W

wmarhel

Depending on your particular industry, products, processes and even how your business is structured financially; the effects of lean activities are highly variable. A prime example is a not uncommon improvement of labor (both direct and indirect) on a product that is only comprised of about 8-10% labor, with about 55-65 materials and the rest in overhead. Let's say we take 3 hours out of a process that would normally require four hours from one person; after all, you'll still need to pay that person for the three hours regardless of what they are doing. While the results are clearly evident to a bystander, they typically don't trickle down into the financial statements very well.

The real issue here is two-fold, GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Practices) and the fact that Lean isn't a cost reduction measure; it's oriented around growth. If you have any specific questions, ask away. But I would recommend two resources:

Brian Maskell's website who was written about Lean Accounting and the book Real Numbers: Management Accounting in a Lean Organization.

Regards,

Wayne

C

chockie

Hi all

Thanks for the responses, Interesting feedback. I have actully been involved with lean for a few years and uderstand the savings that can be achieved through implementing the lean principles. The question came arround in a strategic meeting within a new company I am working for, they are looking at implementing a lean programme (but decided to go with six sigma first!!!). The Issue is that the senior people raised a question regarding overall financial results ie whats the expectation of implementing said programme.

After a lenghty discussion on the benifits of lean and where savings could be made by making the processe more effcient also mentioning that there is some detailed analsing to be completed. The same question came back.

Is there a slide in the forums that indicate the savings made on a basic level that i can show these guys its just not me waffling.

Chockie (ps sorry about the spelling and gramma, in a rush):thanx:

B

BMaskell

Chockie:
It seems that the company you are working for have fallen into the common trap of thinking about lean in the terms of traditional management thinking. Of course, cost saving is important, but lean looks at the benefits - particularly the financial benefits of lean - very differently. Over the longer term lean is THE low cost method of running your business (until we find a better way). But it is common when starting lean improvement to see no financial improvement and in fact often the opposite. This can create a great deal of confusion and animosity. The lean guys (and guyettes) are running around declaring how they have saved $1000's (pounds, euros, whatever) and the controller or CFO is no only not seeing these savings but often finds profitability dropping.

When you do lean improvement you eliminate waste. This does not always result in saving costs. But it does always free-up capacity. Lean improvement turns waste into newly available capacity. While "how much do we save?" is a good questions, a better question is "How do we use this newly free'd up capacity to our financial advantage?"

Any kind of standard costing or any fully absorbed product cost calculation (activity-based, RCA, etc.) will be harmful and misleading to lean operations. They are harmful in many many ways, but in this context they are harmful because they will show savings in the product costs when you do typical lean improvements but these are entirely spurious and misleading.

How do you know when a standard product costs is misleading you and doing harm to your business? How do you know when a politician is lying?

Enough of this. I wrote an article on this stuff for the SLoan Management Review about 6 months ago. I can send you a copy if you are interested. There's stuff on our web-site (I am not allowed to give a link, but google BMA Inc. or Lean Accounting) and our books "Practical Lean Accounting" or "The Lean Business Management System" also address this stuff. The books are available on our web-site or Amazon.com and elsewhere.

All the best

Brian Maskell

W

wmarhel

Brian makes some very excellent points Chockie. While Lean is targeted towards the removal of waste, the assets and capacity that are newly available should be utilized in some form or another. This should lead your management towards a strategy of growth, something that will not be seen in the current financials since your accounting statements don't consider possibilities. Having idle, and not producing parts, makes many accountant cringe in fear as they are not able to absorb their overhead costs.

A prime example of what can be accomplished is my present situation. Our sales for the current fiscal year to date are trailing last year's by a little over $1 million (USD), yet our profitability is almost twice that of last years with significant other benefits. We have taken lead times from 10-14 weeks down to 2-6 weeks, reduced the typical drivers: set-up times, manpower requirements, etc. But we are being very aggressive in going after new business in the marketplace. Not all of our profitability is due solely to our transformation activities, but it has significantly reduced those costs that had been taken for granted: overtime, lost capacity due to breakdowns, quality/warranty costs, etc.

If I were to put Six Sigma up against a TPS (Toyota Production System) model, and had to choose which one would be more effective over the long term, I would choose TPS. The reason I clearly define the TPS model, and not Lean, over Six Sigma; is that the current trend of Lean has become more of a short-term toolbox approach. This is largely driven by too many consultants/training providers with not enough knowledge or experience. Also, Six Sigma is a problem solving methodology whereas TPS is a way to "manage" the business.

Wayne

C

chockie

Thanks again for the help you have summed up everything i have been telling them, may be ishould let them read the feedback in the forums.lol

Has anyone got a one page slide that highlights the benifits of lean, that does not got to deep?.

Chockie

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Thanks again for the help you have summed up everything i have been telling them, may be ishould let them read the feedback in the forums.lol

Has anyone got a one page slide that highlights the benifits of lean, that does not got to deep?.

Chockie
It's more than one slide, but you can look at this MTECH Lean Manufacturing slide show and write down what you think would best suit your presentation needs.

A

Ashmot - 2010

It's more than one slide, but you can look at this .......
When i tried to open using the link, it gave me error message.
Try this way.

Go to "Maryland Technology Extension Service" website, click on "Resources" in the left column.
Then under section <Presentations - Lean Manufacturing>; download "Lean Overview"

Hope it is helpful.:)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Traditional 510K Submission-Financial Certification or Disclosure Statement 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
Marc Hold on to your Hats... 3/2020 Financial and Jobs Prediction Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
R Career Path - Financial to Manufacturing Career and Occupation Discussions 1
S Financial status of critical vendor IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
Q No Financial Management (ISO 9001:2015) - Your Opinions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K ISO 9001:2015 in a Financial Payment Processing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C Financial Records Retention Requirements for a Manufacturing Company Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
K Business Impact Analysis Questionnaire - Financial Implications Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 1
D Financial Services FMEA Rankings Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
Q Financial Disclosure of Clinical Investigators - FDA Form 3455 (Financial Disclosure) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
T ISO 17025 - 4.1.5b Internal/External commercial, financial, and other pressures ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Adding Bizminer's Industry Financial data to my Peer Company Comparison Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
M Choosing the right Industry Financial Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S QMS for Financial Department in a Mining Company Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
I ISO 9001:2008 Reading Material - Financial KPO with customers from all over the world ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J IFS (Industrial & Financial Systems) software and the FMEA module Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A Internal Financial Audits - Internal Auditor in a Lending Business Internal Auditing 6
M What are Special Processes in Financial Institutions? Service Industry Specific Topics 4
D Can we include internal audit (financial) in the scope of ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
E List of Financial Organizations registered TO ISO 14001 in Europe REACH and RoHS Conversations 9
G Help needed to complete a Financial Audit of a Nonprofit Organization Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
N Financial Fraud Investigation plan/template Internal Auditing 3
Marc Confidentiality (Non-Disclosure) Agreement - Financial Statements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
E Financial Revenue Policies and Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
J ISO 10014 - Realising financial & economic benefits ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Financial certification or disclosure statement for applying 510(k) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
J Is this Outsourcing, as per ISO 9001:2008? Financial/Insurance sector ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
W Financial Risk for Contract Manufacturer Partnering a Medical Device Manufacturer? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Jim Wynne A Major Cause of the Financial Crisis: Commemorative Coins?! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
D Monitoring financial expenditures in public service department Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
T Utilization of new ERP system - (IFS- Industrial and Financial Systems) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 8
E Can QA professionals learn anything from the current global financial crisis? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
S Financial & Economic Benefits of a Quality Management System Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
S COPQ - Cost of Poor Quality - COPQ course for non-financial people Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
R Year-end review checklist for Internal Financial Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Q Financial Interpretation of Service Performance Measures Service Industry Specific Topics 1
Sidney Vianna Maintaining Accredited Certification During the Global Financial Crisis Registrars and Notified Bodies 9
BradM Wikipedia asking for financial assistance World News 5
Marc U.S. rejects GM's call for government financial help in a merger World News 2
Ajit Basrur Break up and Breakdown - which is the correct term to use in Financial Context? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
S Setting Up an Internal Audit Function for a UK Financial Services Company Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 10
J SPC in 100% Population - Monitoring Overtime Expenses - Financial Application Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
kedarg6500 Guidelines on how to implement ISO 9001 in Financial Institutions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Need questions for Internal Audit of Financial departement? Internal Auditing 11
J ISO 10014:2006 - Realizing financial and economic benefits - What is your view? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
Marc Lawsuit says Delphi faked sales to improve financial reports World News 0
Marc My Continuing Thanks to the Moderators, financial Contributors and the 'Regulars'! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
R ISO 9001:2000 - Control over the Accounting/Financial Side of Things ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
T Measuring the Financial Benefits of OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 1