Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory

Finding a Radius - How to measure diameters that are not a full diameter

Al Dyer said:
Yes, I meant to type chord. At times my mind is faster than my 3 typing fingers.:thanx:

Al...
Jim, see how handy that high school geometry course would have been if you had paid attention to the teacher instead of Suzie Derkins' profile as she sat in the 3rd seat of the first row?:bonk: :lmao:

J

Jim Howe

Wes Bucey said:
Jim, see how handy that high school geometry course would have been if you had paid attention to the teacher instead of Suzie Derkins' profile as she sat in the 3rd seat of the first row?:bonk: :lmao:
Wes,
you are so right but her name was Rita! Thank god for the Machienry's Hand Book # 23. They have a nice little review of the things I missed while looking at Rita! :lmao: :lol:
Jim

Jim Howe said:
Wes,
you are so right but her name was Rita! Thank god for the Machienry's Hand Book # 23. They have a nice little review of the things I missed while looking at Rita! :lmao: :lol:
Jim
the very edition I have! I think they must be up to about the 100th edition since I got mine.

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
Wes Bucey said:
Wes,

It looks like you were way ahead of your time. By the time you were in high school, you were already well-versed in the use of optical comparators to judge curves !
embarrassed.gif

Tim F

J

Jim Howe

Jonell said:
Our industry here is metal stamping, so I don't know if this will apply to you or not. Do you have an optical comparator available? That is my preferred method of measuring a radius. I have radius charts that I can lay over the image on the comparator, works pretty well. Personally, I prefer NOT to use a CMM for this type of measurement, it is too dependent upon the CMM operator touching on the radius and not getting too far up the side into the straight edge.

All the best!
Jonell
Jonell, since our product lines are heavy and bulky (400lbs +) would it be best to render a tracing of the radius to the comparator or do they make comparators large enough to handle these bigger product lines? Not sure which way to approach. :confused:
Thanks
Jim

J

Jonell

Jim Howe said:
Jonell, since our product lines are heavy and bulky (400lbs +) would it be best to render a tracing of the radius to the comparator or do they make comparators large enough to handle these bigger product lines? Not sure which way to approach. :confused:
Thanks
Jim
Jim,

How big is the radius that you're trying to measure and what is the length, width and height of the product? :confused:

Jonell

J

Jim Howe

Jonell said:
Jim,

How big is the radius that you're trying to measure and what is the length, width and height of the product? :confused:

Jonell
Actually there are two radii intercepting each other (see photo in the article). Radius varies depending on machine size. I will approximate anywhere from 1.75" to 6.75". The length, width and height varies as well depending on machine size. lets say 1'x1'x2' up to 2.5'x2'x5'. These also vary depending on OEM model. Hope this helps!

J

Jonell

Jim Howe said:
Actually there are two radii intercepting each other (see photo in the article). Radius varies depending on machine size. I will approximate anywhere from 1.75" to 6.75". The length, width and height varies as well depending on machine size. lets say 1'x1'x2' up to 2.5'x2'x5'. These also vary depending on OEM model. Hope this helps!

I'm almost sure that you can get an Optical Comparator to fit your needs. I did a web search and found some that will accomadate 500 lbs. along with some pretty good table travel at this website:
http://www.dorseymetrology.com/section5/section5.html

The only question that you would need to answer would be if the product program life would be long enough to justify the cost of the machine, unless you have other products or potential products that you would use the machine for.

All the best!
Jonell

I

Ingeniero1

We encounter similar 'challenges' daily. If the exact contour is super-critical we use a CMM, otherwise we use a radius gage set and can always come within a few thousandths if not right on. The gages, made by Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc., are available from many suppliers, such as www.mcmaster.com.

Alex

Top Bottom