Findings vs. Major/Minor Nonconformance

Richdewtan

Registered
I have been under the impression that Major/Minor Nonconformances designation has been replaced with "Findings". Is this correct?

Randy

Super Moderator
I have been under the impression that Major/Minor Nonconformances designation has been replaced with "Findings". Is this correct?
Never existed, not in the 27 years I've been doing ISO stuff...........Loosely, "Findings" are the result of evaluating objective evidence against audited criteria. (Actually defined in ISO 9000:2015, 3.13.9 results of the evaluation of the collected audit evidence against audit criteria.)

Non-conformance is "nonfulfillment" of "A" requirement......Nothing more, nothing less.

There are no absolutes with minor or major defined by the ISO, but there are "accepted" definitions made by CB's, AB's and others. (My bad, this is not totally correct, as indicated in Sidney's post below. For the end user like an organization there aren't absolute definitions contained in the standards they use, but for AB's & CB's there are..........My error, so the definitions depend upon the context of use)

Last edited:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
There are no absolutes with minor or major defined by the ISO, but there are "accepted" definitions made by CB's, AB's and others.
Actually the terms are defined in ISO 17021-1:2015

Findings vs. Major/Minor Nonconformance

roadhouse

Involved In Discussions
The terms also crop up once in ISO19011-2018 Clause 6.4.8, page 25. ''Nonconformities can be graded depending on the context of the organization and its risks. This grading can be quantitative (e.g. 1 to 5) and qualitative (e.g. minor, major).''. Sorry, unable to attach a screen capture.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Leader
Super Moderator
Any response required will define the section of the standard and the evidence or lack of evidence about it. What the auditor calls it is less important than what they want you to do about it.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
There is some value in understanding the difference between a single event of a form for non-critical data/info being left blank and a series of events that are not only non-conforming to the standard but resulted in the shipment of non-conforming material. Although there is no requirement to use these categorizations…(although my OCD self must point out that a rating of 1-5 is NOT quantitative as it is ordinal subjective assessment and violates almost all rules of mathematics)

That said the OP’s question is whether or not ‘findings’ have replaced minor/major categorization and that is a resounding NO.

Perhaps it is helpful if the OP could tell us what prompted this question. Too often we have seen that the real question the OP needs answered is ’hidden’ behind their posted question…

Top Bottom