Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Fire disaster in Southern California (Blue Cut fire) - August 2016

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
For those who may not be aware, So Cal has a real serious fire disaster. It is known as the Blue Cut fire. The smoke smell is really strong here at my place. The fire area is about half an hour drive from the house, so close. Here is situation as it is now.

Started yesterday about 10:30 am. over 18,000 acres burned. Very important: ZERO PERCENT CONTAINED! Temps expected to be 100+ here in the High Desert again today, RH is in range of 5% to 15%, depending where one is, winds will pick back up during daytime. 700 firefighters, 130 engines, and the DC-10 super tanker and more too are here. 82,600 people evacuated. The I-15 freeway in Cajon Pass and CA 138 both closed down. Damage to I-15 and power lines in the Cajon Pass. Many homes and businesses destroyed already. One is a little personal for me and many here, especially in the High Desert.

The historic Summit Inn Restaurant burned down. It was built in 1952 and was well known part of Route 66. It was for Laura and I a favorite place to eat. We also adopted a Teddy Bear from there. We knew the owner.

I am obviously watching closely, hoping to not have to evacuate.

GStough

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Fire disaster in Southern California - August 2016

Yikes! That's a little *too* close for comfort, for sure! Stay safe out there.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

Doing our best to stay safe. Evacuation area has been expanded it appears, so the northern edge of it is only 15-20 drive. That area is still voluntary evac, but there are many mandatory ones.

Last evening, the communities of Phelan and Oak Hills were ablaze. Wrightwood may be very soon.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

CalTrans and CHP have establish detours of course, but the routes add 4-7 hours to travel time, and were gridlocked quickly, likely still are.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

I've been watching. There are several significant fires going on right now. Sorry to hear you live near one of the fire areas. Hope all turns out good for you.

USDA Forest Service Fires Map

I think if I wanted to live in that area I'd want an underground home and a solar electric array, especially considering the temperatures.

In southern Ohio - Rain over the last few days. Luckily nothing like Louisiana got recently, but the rain in Ohio is coming from the same storm front as it moves north-east.

From what I have read, a lot of this is going to be the "new normal" with regard to more violent storms and weather extremes.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

Could be, and that is itself scary. I am also watching the news and have the page open at Cal Fire.

Randy

Super Moderator

Been watching Hershal. Being an old Desert Rat myself and a retired Cal Guardsman from Barstow you know I'm real familiar with the area. That entire area under the right conditions (as you described) can go up like napalm from dry creosote and sage brush.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

Yes, if necessary, we have already planned. Hopefully we will not have to, but the fire may have other ideas.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator

Yes. This fire spread really fast. The 15 through Cajon Pass is damaged, power lines damaged there too. Will not open till later today, if it opens at all today. The evacuation area is up to Bear Valley Road and over to the 395, plus the mountains. News helos are showing some of the damaged area, and they look like lunar landscapes.

Top Bottom