First Article Acceptance FAI Letter and related Letters of Approval

M

Mgoul

I am interested in hearing different viewpoints regarding first article inspections (FAI)and related letters of approval.

Recently, we have had a few suppliers send us a 5 or 10 piece sample along with an FAI form requesting that we inspect and approve their material before they proceed with a manufacturing run. There is often verbiage that seems to indicate an acceptance of liability on our part if we sign the form.

I still consider myself new to the incoming inspection process but I didn't run into this issue at all for the first 3.5 years or so. Now it feels as if some of our suppliers expect us to do their quality assurance work for them.

I am dealing with engineers in our supply line management group and supervision in the quality group that don't seem to see the problem here. So I hope that the fine people here at Elsmar Cove can provide some insight. Either to show me the error of my ways or to assist me in communicating more effectively with personnel here who disagree.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: First Article Acceptance Letter

I am interested in hearing different viewpoints regarding first article inspections (FAI)and related letters of approval.

Recently, we have had a few suppliers send us a 5 or 10 piece sample along with an FAI form requesting that we inspect and approve their material before they proceed with a manufacturing run. There is often verbiage that seems to indicate an acceptance of liability on our part if we sign the form.

I still consider myself new to the incoming inspection process but I didn't run into this issue at all for the first 3.5 years or so. Now it feels as if some of our suppliers expect us to do their quality assurance work for them.

I am dealing with engineers in our supply line management group and supervision in the quality group that don't seem to see the problem here. So I hope that the fine people here at Elsmar Cove can provide some insight. Either to show me the error of my ways or to assist me in communicating more effectively with personnel here who disagree.

The fact here is that the Supplier is responsible for the product/service they provide, not the Customer.

For example: We receive castings from a Supplier, and a First Article is Performed (FAI). The castings meet the blueprint to a tee, therefore the FAI is accepted. However, further down the manufacturing process, it is found that there is porosity or hard spots in the casting. Even though the casting meets the print at the time of approval of the casting, it still becomes non-conforming later down the processes.

My point here is that no matter if the FAI is approved, the supplier is still responsible for their product/service that has been procured.

If, it would make you get that warm fuzzy feeling, put in the Letter of Acceptance: that the parts meet the blueprint specifications, however in the event that during the manufacturing process, there is a non-conformity found, the FAI and all sub parts will be rejected and you (supplier) are still responsible.

Just my thoughts.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

First & foremost you have to have a clarity in your mind about the difference between First Article Inspection and routine Incoming inspection. The FAI has to be thorough inclusive of tests upto the end use. Once given the approval on the basis of FAI, the customer looses his right for inclusion of anything resulting from poste-mortem analysis, if any. For that he will have to issue a revision.

On the other end, the supplier is bound to ensure the quality he has supplied at the time of FAI. He is fully responsible for any deviation, and can not seek shelter under the FAI umbrella.

The fact here is that the Supplier is responsible for the product/service they provide, not the Customer.

For example: We receive castings from a Supplier, and a First Article is Performed (FAI). The castings meet the blueprint to a tee, therefore the FAI is accepted. However, further down the manufacturing process, it is found that there is porosity or hard spots in the casting. Even though the casting meets the print at the time of approval of the casting, it still becomes non-conforming later down the processes.
Please allow me to disagree with you on this. If the porosity & hard spots are not objected to in your FAI acceptance, and they did exist in the samples sent for FAI, then legally they are acceptable to you. You looe your right to make a case of it with your supplier.

My point here is that no matter if the FAI is approved, the supplier is still responsible for their product/service that has been procured.
Only upto the point of whatever was sample supply for FAI.

If, it would make you get that warm fuzzy feeling, put in the Letter of Acceptance: that the parts meet the blueprint specifications, however in the event that during the manufacturing process, there is a non-conformity found, the FAI and all sub parts will be rejected and you (supplier) are still responsible.

Just my thoughts.
Doese not apply in the light of foregoing. The supplier is responsible to match the quality with the samples submitted for FAI, nothing more nothing less.

Umang :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Please allow me to disagree with you on this. If the porosity & hard spots are not objected to in your FAI acceptance, and they did exist in the samples sent for FAI, then legally they are acceptable to you. You looe your right to make a case of it with your supplier.

Umang :2cents:
It is ok to disagree here. However, the hard spots and porosity didn't show up until the parts were machined (taking a few thousands [.00x] or hundreds [.0x] off). Could also be considered "Cold Shut" and Porosity.

These nonconformities would not be known until the machining process, therefore the Supplier is still responsible for their product.

Which standard is involved here? I'm guessing that it is AS9100B. AS9100B has the two famous "anti wank" clauses that would keep a supplier from side-stepping his responsibilities.

Further, no matter what the standard, why would you want to give your supplier a loop-hole? I see no value to you in signing off some of your rights.

U

Umang Vidyarthi

It is ok to disagree here. However, the hard spots and porosity didn't show up until the parts were machined (taking a few thousands [.00x] or hundreds [.0x] off). Could also be considered "Cold Shut" and Porosity.

These nonconformities would not be known until the machining process, therefore the Supplier is still responsible for their product.
Coury, you are right on the dot, and this exactly is the point I tried to communicate. The FAI has got to be thorough, and in the incident quoted by you, these defects should have surfaced in the FAI, period. If they went undetected then the onus of responsibility (IMO) lies squarely with the customer.

Umang :cool:

Coury, you are right on the dot, and this exactly is the point I tried to communicate. The FAI has got to be thorough, and in the incident quoted by you, these defects should have surfaced in the FAI, period. If they went undetected then the onus of responsibility (IMO) lies squarely with the customer.

NO! The responsibility is still with the SUPPLIER. The responsibility is only transferred if the customer permits it to be transferred, a foolish act.

M

Mgoul

Thank you for all the responses. This thread has demonstrated the issue I am trying to avoid with my suppliers.

Now I need help explaining this scenario to the engineers and supervision here at my company.

To further complicate the issue. We are not able to effectively inspect 100% of the features called out in our drawings. We deal with a wide variety of materials ranging from castings, molds and machined parts to electronic circuit board assemblies.

Our inspection staff is small and our equipment is not adequate for performing true FAIs on the majority of our parts. Our inspection model has always been to inspect a portion of the features we are capable of checking simply to ensure supplier vigilance.

With my limited resources, focusing on supplier development is more effective then trying to screen for defects in the incoming inspection area.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Thank you for all the responses. This thread has demonstrated the issue I am trying to avoid with my suppliers.

Now I need help explaining this scenario to the engineers and supervision here at my company.

To further complicate the issue. We are not able to effectively inspect 100% of the features called out in our drawings. We deal with a wide variety of materials ranging from castings, molds and machined parts to electronic circuit board assemblies.

Our inspection staff is small and our equipment is not adequate for performing true FAIs on the majority of our parts. Our inspection model has always been to inspect a portion of the features we are capable of checking simply to ensure supplier vigilance.

With my limited resources, focusing on supplier development is more effective then trying to screen for defects in the incoming inspection area.
Some people outsource their FAI, when the resources and equipment is thin. This might be an alternative while you are developing your Suppliers.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

I don't believe I ever stated that it was the Customer's responsibility.

There is no way these defects would have surfaced during the FAI, they were accepted to the Casting drawing, based upon the dimensional and specification requirements.

It still does not relieve the Supplier the responsibility to provide acceptable products.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R First Article Acceptance Tests on a Government Product Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
C MDR 2017/744 Article 22 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does the MDR article 10 (14) needs to be documented word for word in a Procedure? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Definition of article, complex object, substance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
O Article 120 - significant change interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R EU MDR Article 22 applicability of medical device with components. EU Medical Device Regulations 4
V MDR – Article 65 – Clinical investigations on minors EU Medical Device Regulations 6
P MDR Article 27 - UDI - Keeping records of UDIs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K 2021/2226 on Electronic Instructions for Use (IFU) for medical devices Article 22 Packs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A MDR article 54(2) "modifying" EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B 2017/745 Article 22 EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D AS9100D 8.5.1.3 First Article AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
F The meaning of MDR Article 61 6(b) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Meaning of Article 61 (10) of the MDR 2017/745 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A Article 54, Article 61(4) the meaning of marketed device EU Medical Device Regulations 8
L Article 87 Field Safety Corrective Actions in a third country EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D DOD First Article Test Plan & Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
A MDR Article 16 Certification of Distributors by a Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Discus Software for First Article Inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Declaring Conformity with MDR Article 120(3) for an MDD Legacy Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Article 22 - Include statement in procedure pack? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T API SPEC Q1 Clause 5.6.1.2.C).2) First Article Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E Article 17 MDR - (Re-)Processing EU Medical Device Regulations 0
H Article 22 MDR System EU Medical Device Regulations 16
F MDR – Article 120 – Transitional provisions EU Medical Device Regulations 8
H MDR Article 13(c) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Is anyone familiar with Article 60 Certificate of Free Sale EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Ed Panek Interesting Article Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
A Medical First Article - Can it be a Delta? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Addition of IFU on local language by distributor - Article 16? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
briteme4 AS9102 First Article Inspection - do I need a second reviewer and signer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S MDR - System and procedure pack article 22 and all sub processes that apply ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
C First Article Inspections - 'how to measure' General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
R EU-MDR Article 9-common specifications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Examples of Combination Products - MDR Article 1 (8) and MDR Article 1(9) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
F Component maintenance qualification - Regulation (EU) No 1321/2014 Article 5 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
M Vigilance - incident found in an article EU Medical Device Regulations 4
dgrainger Informational MHRA guidance on CE UKNI - Article 5.5 - 2021-02 EU Medical Device Regulations 0
U MDD Article 12/ MDr Article 22 interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR Article 22 Interpretation EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L EU MDR Article 86 PSUR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Article 18: Implant Card and information to be communicated. EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R Requirements for MDR Article 22 Systems EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H MDD Article 12 Labeling for Class IIa Medical Device - Please Advise EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Article 22 Procedure Pack Labelling EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N EU MDR - Applicability Article 22 Systems and Procedure Packs CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Example of statement for procedure pack MDR Article 22? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Translational Requirements - Article 120 EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Class I MDR Article 10 – QMS EU Medical Device Regulations 1