First Article planning - Is an FAI timeline for the product the same thing?

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have been asked to provide a first article plan to a customer. I have developed a FAI timeline for the product is this cosidered the same thing?

If not can someone provide an example.

Thanks,

Al

B

BadgerMan

Just a couple thoughts............

Is the product you are supplying an assembly? Is it possible that they want you to inlclude a bill of material showing what items will be included in the inspection? If you are required to comply with AS9102, you could forward the completed (or partially completed) Part Number Accountability form.

Cari Spears

Super Moderator
Leader
Super Moderator
Allen M. said:
first article plan
Hi Al -

I haven't heard of a first article PLAN - it kinda sounds like the timeline could be what their looking for - but it could be as BadgerMan suggests.

Was the requirement communicated to you directly from the customer - or passed down from someone in your organization? Could it be that someone just used the word "plan" not realizing it would throw you for a loop and all that's really being requested is First Article Inspection?

al40

Quite Involved in Discussions
Cari Spears said:
Hi Al -

I haven't heard of a first article PLAN - it kinda sounds like the timeline could be what their looking for - but it could be as BadgerMan suggests.

Was the requirement communicated to you directly from the customer - or passed down from someone in your organization? Could it be that someone just used the word "plan" not realizing it would throw you for a loop and all that's really being requested is First Article Inspection?
Hi Cari,
The requirement is part of the quality clause. I just got an email from them stating the following:

Supplier shall develop FAI plan:
a. Determine assemblies, sub assemblies, and components to be included into activity.

b. Determine methods of inspection, including tooling, fixtures, mearsurement equipment etc,

c. Determine necessary test equipment, test software, ATP, etc.,

d. Determine necessary manufacturing processes and equipment are set up and verified.

e. Identify KCs and inspection points to be verified

f. AS9102 forms 1,2, and 3 shall be used to document the FAI.

So what is the best way to do this? My timeline takes into account these items would that be sufficent?

Thanks,

Al

Last edited:

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
I have had to submit numerous FAI Plans to the Government, and have had no problems with them. I would suggest that you formalize a document (Report) to include your time-line and copies of AS9102 Forms as required (with of course the dimensional requirements) with all applicable procedures that apply referenced (like calibration, shipping, In-Process Inspection and so forth if you have them). Submit it formally and have the customer approve/disapprove the FAI report.

Coury Ferguson
Program/Contracts Manager

K

kiwisfly

Sounds to me like your customer has mixed a couple of terms linking the FAI process with the old engineering term 'Quality Plan'. If they are asking for the FAI plan prior to you making your first production piece then I think it is essentially a plan to show what you will be presenting in your completed FAI.

You could try just sending them a copy of your FAI procedure with expected delivery schedule or even refer to AS9102 if that is what you use.

Cheers

Chris

Top Bottom