First AS9100:2016 certificate issued, March 2017 - Status of Transition Sept. 2018

Buckyb

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Andy,

I would expect 8.5 NCs to be high but was surprised to see 8.4 as well. Supplier management has been around for eons and shouldn't generate that level of NCs. Unless there are varied interpretations on the requirement/s. I have found that simplicity in this area yields the best results. Over control of suppliers will generally cause a lot of pain during audits.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
A quick search on the OASIS database shows that, out of the universe of 20,519 site certifications, 17,801 are to the 2016 editions of the AS91X0 standards. So, close to 87% of the certificates have been transitioned.

Let's remember that many sites have probably been through their transition audits, but certificates have not been issued yet.

As for the statistics of the nonconformities during the transition, I am always skeptical about the results. In my experience, when auditors are asked to audit against new versions of standards, despite having been "trained", they tend to drift into their comfort zones and avoid auditing "subjective" requirements.

Another thing about CB auditor NC statistics. Deming used to say that a very high percentage of quality problems had to do with ineffective management. Most quality professionals tend to agree with that assertion. Still, when you correlate CB NC stats with the standards, we realize that very few nonconformities are referenced to top management failures. In my opinion, that is an area where CB auditors (those who have the courage and the caliber to do it) should improve. Problem is: top management when exposed as the source of system problems might invoke his/her authority and demand a change in auditor and/or CB...How dare they? :cool:

Buckyb

Involved In Discussions
Re: First AS9100:2016 certificate issued, March 2017 - Status of Transition Sept. 201

Sidney, must concur with your last paragraph. Often Top Management will be the last to take responsibility and if fingers are pointed at them by a CB; it's time to go shopping for another CB. I have experienced this first hand. I am fortunate to currently be in the position where management appreciates and understands what a good quality system can do for the company. I'm one of the lucky few.

doctall41

Involved In Discussions
Re: First AS9100:2016 certificate issued, March 2017 - Status of Transition Sept. 201

A quick search on the OASIS database shows that, out of the universe of 20,519 site certifications, 17,801 are to the 2016 editions of the AS91X0 standards. So, close to 87% of the certificates have been transitioned.

Let's remember that many sites have probably been through their transition audits, but certificates have not been issued yet.

Our personal experience is that our certificate expires on Sept. 13, and our CB has told me that our audit has been approved, but they will be holding off on documenting it in OASIS until Sept. 13 in order to make sure we don't lose any days of our current certificate. Two weeks ago she said:
"When your new certificate is issued, the new expiry date will be 3 years less one day from the issue date. In order to keep a similar expiry timeframe, I have scheduled your new certificate to be issued on September 13, 2018."

and then today;
"Yes, everything is approved for your audit except final certificate issuance. I have attached a draft certificate for your review and approval. Please note that once approved, the final certificate will be printed and uploaded to OASIS on September 13th."

With so many certificates expiring this week, maybe many of the CB's are either doing this, or quite busy trying to keep up.

I'd like to see the above numbers after next week.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

"Yes, everything is approved for your audit except final certificate issuance. I have attached a draft certificate for your review and approval. Please note that once approved, the final certificate will be printed and uploaded to OASIS on September 13th."
Not your case, but I was reviewing some IAQG documents concerning the end of the transition process and, what a mess... CB's issuing certificates for future dates creating gaps in certification status.

The documents I referenced are available here and there.

Attachments

• IAQG Transition Expectations 9-5-2018v2.pdf
    144.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Change to SR 003 20180517.pdf
    51.4 KB · Views: 121

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin

I'd like to see the above numbers after next week.
Current numbers show 19,300 certified sites to the 2016 Edition of AS91X0 standards, out of an universe of 20,488. So, around 94% of certified sites have been certified to the latest version of the standards 1 day before the deadline.

Top Bottom