First Part Approval - Large Construction Vehicles

H

HelenMagdich

First Part Approval

Hi everyone!!
Curious as to this:
We are 9K2K and we produce large construction vehicles. Our D&D process, I feel, is lacking in a first part approval process. The problem I'm currently encountering exists between departments, and interacting them so that purchasing is not bringing parts in and putting them out on the floor without engineering's approval upon their initial arrival. It's happening all the time. If the packages are marked to the attention of the engineering dept, they are segregated to the first piece approval area. We don't have a defined procedure for D&D,I'm working on one now. Does anyone have any suggestions on controlling this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Hello Helen,

If nobody has welcomed you yet, Welcome to the Cove!! :bigwave:

I’m glad to hear that you are currently in the writing phase to correct this deficiency. Me thinks that this was missed as part of your initial registration (section 7.4.3) and a potential landmine come surveillance time. As an interim step, you may want to hold a meeting with the respective department heads to confirm an informal strategy and operational approach until you have worked out the formal details (with their input of course) in a released procedure.

Regards,

Kevin

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Kevin is right on the money in this one (good old ASQ guy that he is.)

I also think this should be the subject of your organization's contract review procedure. Here's a summary of mine (from the index appended to our QManual):
"Contract Review Procedure
A systematic review of a contract (whether between us and customer or between us and supplier) to determine all aspects relating to identity, quality, price, and delivery plus adherence to regulatory matters have been reviewed and approved by both parties to the contract. The main purpose is to eliminate errors or ambiguities in instructions or terms which could result in nonconforming goods being delivered."

Also consider a second Procedure:
"Verification of Purchased Product
We recognize and provide procedures for two types of material we buy for incorporation into our finished product

(1) proprietary material produced and sold to multiple buyers by a supplier (We ensure product meets our design parameters and specifications prior to purchase. We incorporate clauses into the purchase contract for notice prior to delivery to us if the design is revised or the particular lot was subject of an internal corrective action procedure at the supplier. We audit the production from time to time to ensure the quality procedures of supplier remain compliant.)

(2) material custom produced to our design and specifications (We ensure supplier's Control Plan for production meets our requirements. We inspect and approve supplier's facilities, capability, and capacity before and during production to assure compliance. If we change design, we ensure supplier builds to the new design to prevent production or delivery of obsolete goods.)"

I hope this helps you get a concept of the overall picture.

Kevin Mader

One of THE Original Covers!
Staff member
Admin
Hello Wes,

Welcome to the Cove!! I'm glad you found us here! I'm sure the folks here will find your input to be thought provoking and for many of us, right up our alley!!

Kevin :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna AS9100 News PPAP in the Aerospace Sector - What is it? AS9145 - Requirements for Advanced Product Quality Planning and Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
H Informational What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 26
S If a piece of software receives approval as part of a medical device system Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
J Differences between a Risk Management Plan vs. Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Can an organisation hold an EASA Part 145 approval WITHOUT a QMS EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
K FAI (First Article Inspection) vs PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 15
A EASA Part 21G approval for manufacturing of seat covers, carpets, curtains & others EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
P Tier 2 Part Approval where Painting is Outsourced APQP and PPAP 2
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Requirements for Annual Revalidations APQP and PPAP 1
somashekar Document Approval per Sec. 820.40 (a) of 21 CFR part 820 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
L Do I need to use an EASA Part 21 approval, to upload software on a Transport Category EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 2
M PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) files for Ford APQP and PPAP 11
M Part & Process Approval in Medical Devices Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Why submit it and/with PSW APQP and PPAP 2
P PPAP Approval - Customer approval of PSW (part submission warrant) APQP and PPAP 5
B Help for beginner - PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 9
F EASA Part 21 Subpart J - Understanding the DOA (Design Organization Approval) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 23
R Is Kappa Study Required during PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
T Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) Presentation in ppt. format APQP and PPAP 3
F Who should Sign Supplier PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) documents? APQP and PPAP 13
H Who can require PPAP (Production Part Approval Process)? APQP and PPAP 7
S Tell Me All About PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 7
D Source Control Drawing vs. Part Approval Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
J Are email acceptable as records? Email for a customer approval of some part? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 20
T Customer Part Approval Process Manual? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J AIAG PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Manual Fourth Edition Released APQP and PPAP 69
A PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) - Where can I buy the AIAG Manual? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Submission Level Differences - Forms attached APQP and PPAP 17
J Part Approval - Eliminating Incoming Quality Inspection by Customer Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Students trying find information on Producation Part Approval Process - ABC of PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
W PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) - Clarify When submission is required APQP and PPAP 10
D Relabelling a component that will be sold as a spare part - Do I become legal manufacturer? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Single Fault Condition IEC 60601 Clause 8.7.1 shorting Cr/Cl in Patient Applied Part IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
D Partial FAI - AS9102 -One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
Anonymous16-2 21 CFR Part 11 - Steps to take if we want to validate an electronic system Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
T ISO 13485 8.3 - Non-Conforming Materials - on-line rework or part of process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
DuncanGibbons Should the requirements FAA/EASA Part 21 be addressed within the QMS and AS9100D quality manual? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K IEC 62304 compliance - Code reviews as part of verification strategy IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
G Gage R&R - Where am I going wrong? Part of a FAIR submission (Aerospace) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
A 21 CFR part 11 - section 11.100 - Electronic Signature Certification Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
M AS9102B Detail Part/Assembly FAI Form 1 box 13; AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M 2xMOPP insulation for Applied Part B. IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A ISO 41001:2018 - Clause No.8 Operations Part Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
NDesouza Getting Rid of Part Marking Errors Benchmarking 39
L Wearables 21 CFR Part 11 compliance Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
DuncanGibbons How are part cut out specimens made and tested? Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S Internal calibrations - Part of an ISO 17025 accredited testing laboratory (Automotive) ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
S CQI-23 - Molding System Assessment - Control of part weight IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
DuncanGibbons Looking for example aerospace part CAD files to be used for a case study Career and Occupation Discussions 2