FIRST PIECE PASSED WHEN IT SHOULDNT HAVE

Hybrid

Involved In Discussions
This resulted in the production of non-conforming parts with the in-process inspectors passing it each inspection because "first piece report said it was okay"

Where do i even start to address and fix this issue? The part is a screw and print calls for an unthreaded portion of the screw. The entire screw is threaded.

I am a new QC manager who has been on the shop floor doing calibration audit and havent been working with my inspectors closely so i know this is somewhat my fault for not being there to guide them. I could use some tips on what my next steps should be.

I have gathered all the non-conforming parts so that non of it gets to the customer.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hybrid,

I would start by mapping the process as a flow chart, starting from goods in of the screws (assuming they are bought in and not manufactured in house), including all processing and inspection points. It sounds like there are repeat inspection points which in my experience make things worse rather than better - first inspector does a half assed job assuming it will be checked again, latter inspectors do a half assed job assuming it's already been verified.

You will also have to find out why there are two different screws that appear to work in your process, as in both screws fit in the assembly and allow the product to continue down the flow chart. Perhaps this could be designed out - different diameter screws, lengths, etc?

Also you'll have to find out why they were used in the first place; supplier delivered wrong part, ordered wrong part, operators used wrong part, instructions not clear, etc.

Work with the stakeholders and see what the data tells you

GStough

Leader
Super Moderator
In addition to what @Johnny Quality said, you may want to check the previous lot inspection records and if possible, retain samples. Was this the first time this has happened or is it a repeat of the previous production lot/run? If it's a repeat, you'll need to contain any of that lot, as well, and notify the customer/s.

Randy

Super Moderator
Flitter, 1st find the culprit responsible for the 1st piece and ask "Why the "H" did you pass it to begin with?"

Next, gather the "in process" inspectors and ask "Why did you continue to approve when you knew it was wrong?"

Based on the responses chart your next courses of action to correct the problems and then prevent them from happening again. (Including cleaning house a bit).

Clearly a case of monkey see-monkey do compounded with "don't give a "S"-itis". Lemmings are claimed to do the same thing.

Hybrid

Involved In Discussions
Thank you both for the info!

This is the first time we make these parts. The print clearly shows an unthreaded portion of the part. How do i address them missing that important detail? They do visual inspections so why did they not notice the full screw being threaded when the print shows half thread

Johnny Quality

Do you make the screw or are they bought in from a supplier? Why do you have fully threaded screws and half threaded screws?

I would ignore the detection failure for now unless you must beat your team over the head

Johnny Quality

Then I would ask why do you have fully threaded and half threaded screws? Are they different parts that exist or it is a manufacturing issue that you have fully threaded screws?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thank you both for the info!

This is the first time we make these parts. The print clearly shows an unthreaded portion of the part. How do i address them missing that important detail? They do visual inspections so why did they not notice the full screw being threaded when the print shows half thread
Are there dimensional verifications involved in addition to visual?

Mikey324

I would say look first out how you ended up with fully threaded screws for the inspectors to look at in the first place. Visual inspection will never be 100% effective, so I would look at the root cause of the "why was it made" part of the problem. If you can prevent the defect from being made before going to inspection, that's one less thing for them to miss.

Without knowing production details, it's tough to go much further. Perhaps you produce two product types. One fully threaded, one with an unthreaded part. Perhaps they are otherwise identical. Maybe having them in different color containers would help to keep them from getting mixed. All hypothetical, but I hope you see where I'm going with it.

Top Bottom