First Piece vs. First Article - QC Inspection Terminology

K

Karen Whitehead

Our company is in the process of developing a quality management system, and we have contracted with a registrar for certification to ISO 9001:2000. I am new to manufacturing and have the job of developing procedures and forms for the system. I have used the term "first article" in some inspection procedures and forms meaning "the first off the production run or process." I was told that this was not the proper terminology - that "First Article" meant the "first parts ran when the product is first produced, not every time there is a production run." However, this weekend I talked to a production worker at another plant who operates a robot, and he is required to inspect the first pieces off a production run which they call "First Piece Inspection." Is there a difference in First Piece and First Article - or is it six of one and a half-dozen of another? Thanks for the help.

D

D.Scott

Our company is in the process of developing a quality management system, and we have contracted with a registrar for certification to ISO 9001:2000. I am new to manufacturing and have the job of developing procedures and forms for the system. I have used the term "first article" in some inspection procedures and forms meaning "the first off the production run or process." I was told that this was not the proper terminology - that "First Article" meant the "first parts ran when the product is first produced, not every time there is a production run." However, this weekend I talked to a production worker at another plant who operates a robot, and he is required to inspect the first pieces off a production run which they call "First Piece Inspection." Is there a difference in First Piece and First Article - or is it six of one and a half-dozen of another? Thanks for the help.

Welcome to the Cove.

The term "First Article" has a special meaning to the AS9100 people. It is, as you were told, the qualifying format for new product/processes and changes. This is very similar to the automotive PPAP approval.

First piece inspection is used throughout the quality system, also as described, as the first (set) off the process at start up. If you are going for ISO9001:2000, I assume you want to look at the "first piece" inspection description.

I hope this helps. If you have other questions, please let us know.

Dave

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to The Cove Karen! :bigwave:

I did a search on your question and came up with this thread. I hope this helps! Please let us know if you have further questions.

AndyN

Moved On
Karen:
Glad you're here, good advice so far!

I'd suggest that the first piece is just that - the first item made to prove the process (which is normally made at the beginning of a shift, run etc.). The 'first article', on the other hand, might be a number of components which result from a number of processes. Often, this is submitted to a customer.

Still, who cares?:mg::lol:

You may have been told 'the truth' by that person, but perhaps what's most important is what you're trying to achieve and whether the people who are responsible for this are in agreement on what it is and what it's called. What you choose to call it is up to you. If it's new terminology to the company, so much the better to ensure a consistent story.......

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Still, who cares?:mg::lol:

You may have been told 'the truth' by that person, but perhaps what's most important is what you're trying to achieve and whether the people who are responsible for this are in agreement on what it is and what it's called. What you choose to call it is up to you. If it's new terminology to the company, so much the better to ensure a consistent story.......

I second Andy's advice. Outside of the aerospace usage Dave pointed out, the two terms are generally interchangeable, and what you'll find is that most companies use either one or the other to describe a setup exemplar for existing jobs, and might use customer terminology for the part(s) submitted to the customer for production approval.

J

John Nabors - 2009

My understanding has always been that a first article is a piece or sample of pieces produced by a new process for the first time and submitted in order to validate the process. A first piece is a piece or sample of pieces produced by a process that has been previously validated, but has been torn down and later set up again, or in some more rigorous cases a piece submitted by a previously validated process at an event such as a shift change or a tooling change.

Make any sense?

Regards -John

R

Russ

My understanding has always been that a first article is a piece or sample of pieces produced by a new process for the first time and submitted in order to validate the process. A first piece is a piece or sample of pieces produced by a process that has been previously validated, but has been torn down and later set up again, or in some more rigorous cases a piece submitted by a previously validated process at an event such as a shift change or a tooling change.

Make any sense?

Regards -John
This is also our view on the two terms.

D

Dean Frederickson

A first article inspection is the first part(s) of a new part you check every dimension (you also number the dimensions on the print to corelate to the 1st article report). Every thing on the print is verified. A first piece inspection is the first part off of a new set-up of a part that has already been run (and had a first article done on it). They are different inspections, a first piece insp. you don't check every dim. you check only critical dimensions and verify that all features are present. A first piece insp., in process insp., coil change insp., and final insp. are used during a production run of parts that already have had a 1st Article Inspection.

F

Frank T.

AS 9100 defines First Article Inspection as a process for the inspection, verification and documentation of a representative item from the first production run of a new part, or following any subsequent change that invalidates the previous first article inspection result.

ISO 9001 has no specific term it just states the organization shall determine the following, as appropriate:
c) required verification, validation, monitoring, inspection and test activities specific to the product and the criteria for product acceptance.

IMO, any term is acceptable as there is no specific name, term, phrase, nomenclature, etc. to describe inspection of 1st off/piece.

On that note, Welcome to the cove Karen.:bigwave:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pazuzu - 2009

We have a system that uses both as seperate entities because really, they are. Here's how we use them...and I think I'm safe saying it's generally accepted this way.

First piece inspections are performed at the outset of every seperate process to ensure that the press, machine, jig, whatever is setup to provide consistant and repeatable output. i.e.: "now that I'm set up to run the job, am I comfortable enough to sign my name to it knowing the set up will not degrade over time?" The inspections you perform to validate this are the First Piece Inspections.

First Article Inspection is derived from the automotive industry (at least to the extent of my knowledge) and used in, but not limited to, PPAP. Also known as a FAIR form, the First Article Inspection Report is used once the first production run is complete to verify that what you have made is indeed what you planned on. It usually also includes basic dimensional analysis to verify the tooling is not degrading or shifting.

I personally find FAIRs to be pointless since your verifying if its right after its made as opposed to during. :2cents: If you want a Ford mass assembly line then use FAIRs...if you want a Lean, preventive-based system, you shouldn't need them unless mandated by a customer.

Top Bottom