Five Foot Caliper vs. Tape Measure - Tolerance issues

H

HMW64

I am new to the "Quality" environment so maybe someone can shed some light for me....I was recently sent a 5ft caliper to measure vinyl cut parts...sizes and style vary....why?? I was told because our tolerances our +/-1/32, our tape measures are not accurate because the operator may have to judge between whether the length is nominal or off by a 1/32, if it is between they feel that everyone rounds it down to the nominal and feels the process is not in control. I don't understand how a 5 ft. caliper will be more accurate??? It seems to be alot of money spent on a possible 1/64th difference. Any comments???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hello and welcome to the Cove,

A 5 ft calipher instead of a tape measure?

Well, a calipher is usually much more exact than any tape measure, and the trick is to use measuring equipment that is... let's say one decimal more accurate than the tolerance in quiestion. You don't want to round the numbers down.

As for the lot of money spent on a possible 1/64th difference, It would seem that it is considered important to stay within the tolerance ( I know nothing about your product of course, but presume that the tolerance would be wider if it was not important).

/Claes

HMW64,
Been there, done that. And you are correct, it won't work.
Yes the caliper is more accurate compared to the tape measure. The problem is you cannot easily use a 5 ft caliper while measuring a flexible piece of vinyl.
I will suggest three alternatives;
1- If you have CAD capability plot a full size pattern, with the +/- tolerance, to be used as a template.
2- I purchased a device called "Scanmaster II" . It's a digital readout with a 0.5" dia wheel. You roll it across the item you want to measure and the results are displayed. It also interfacres with a computer. The only number I have is Tech suppotr, 1-800-854-8075.
3- Purchase a digital readout tape measure.

I prefer method #1. It's quick and easy. You can use irons to hold the fabric down and remove wrinkles. Eliminates the discussion on measurement technique.

R

Ravi Khare

It is important to stay within tolerance. It is all the more important to stay at the centre of the tolerance. A 1/64 step in a measurement system will divide the tolerance zone of +- 1/32 into 4 parts at best.

Even if you set the process initially to produce within tolerance, it is bound to drift as all processes do. Even with a 1/64 resolution measurement system, you won't be able to determine the drift until it has already eaten up 1/4th of your total tolerance.

The lot of money you spent on a 1/64 difference is well invested, considering the cost you could otherwise incur on rejects .

H

HMW64

Thanks for everyones input...what I will be measuring are vinyl cut lengths for vinyl windows. Lengths can be from 14 inches up to 10 feet, so I will be limited to what I can measure. When I started running capability studies currently I receive a control data sheet per saw and only one employee per data sheet, I do that so I can determine that each saw can maintain tolerance and also the capability of each employee. I am amazed how some employees never differ from nominal but others do, it makes it difficult to know if the employees are performing the checks correctly or at all.... So if I have 10 different saws do I take samples from each saw and measure??? Do I pick samples per employees???? Can anyone relate??

C

Connie

CALIPERS VS TAPE MEASURES?

HI HOPE W.

I can't answer for your company since it sounds like your keeping a pretty good quality dept.
But... i worked for a window company here in Minnesota (a smaller company) for 2 years. I operated the sash saw and the frame saw, we cut lengths for double bay and bows, patio windows, brick moulding and more, with lengths up to 16 ft. all we ever used is a tape tht read decimals and with regular checks we seemed to keep the tolerance with in spec we actually had very little scrap. our saws were computerized with offset functions up to .0001 so that might have helped.

The only problem we had was to get everyone familiar with the conversion from fraction to decimals. (the little pocket charts helped alot).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H CQA Exam - Do I really have to go five hours without a drink? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
R CFDA updated five regulations to be effective from October 1, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 16
J Is a ndc less than five is also acceptable? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
P Does the term ISO 9001:2008 imply we are all five years out of date? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
D Ticketing System to Manage Five Service Lines for proposed QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
H What are the five levels of PPAP? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
Sidney Vianna From Human Resources to Outsourcing ? ISO expands work in five areas Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
U Five S Implementation at Home Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Stijloor Five-figure Bonuses Stun Employees World News 13
U Five Minute management Course Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
R Why five post before you can send messages? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 12
K Guidelines and Rules regarding 5S (Five S) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
H Five S checklist examples etc... Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
Marc Five Strange Materials including Liquids you can Walk on Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
H Five Minute OHSAS 18001 Presentation for Top Management Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
V For the Ladies of the Cove - Five Tips for a Woman Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
A Six sigma - Why not five sigma? Six Sigma 12
Marc Ford likely to close five North American plants World News 3
Q Gage R&R lite? This form only uses two operators measuring five parts one time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
Marc Five S Foundation - A brief powerpoint .ppt presentation General Information Resources 0
T CSQE (Software Quality Engineer) Certification - Five Questions Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
C Implementing ISO 9001 or other QMS - Five Questions about your experience ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Is 5 (Five) S activity a part of TPM? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 2
S How can 5S (Five S) purify our mind? Concentration and calm in our mind and mood? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
M Sustaining the 5S (Five S) Program - What can I do to keep the effort ongoing? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
A 5S (Five S) Slogan Ideas - Seiri, Seiton, Seiso, Seiketsu, Shitsuke Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 77
D Five S (5S) and the Toyota Production System Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 32
A Cpk's for five different dimensions on castings Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
U 5S (Five S) Method - Basic Discussion Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
K How do Kaizen and 5S (Five S) fit in a quality system? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
B AAMI Standard - 6 Foot Radius Patient Vicinity Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
N Procedure/calculation for determining the foot pressure of dial thickness gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
M Getting your foot in the door? Entry level QA Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Marc Great Lakes - 24 foot waves possible! October 2012 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
N 10 Foot Straight Edge Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
E Clean Room Cost per sq foot is to have a class 100,000 clean room built Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q How do I convert inches of mercury to pounds per foot Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
L Generic Accuracy of a 100 foot Tape Rule General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
K Inspection: Looking for ways to check 10 x 20 foot "checking aid" mylars Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Icy Mountain Reasonable calibration? 50 foot measuring tape and other basic M&TE General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 25
O Mitutoyo Digital Caliper to PC USB question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Micrometer and Vernier Caliper simple calibration process General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
DietCokeofEvil What is the general consensus on Caliper tolerances? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
G Procedure Creation specifically for dimensional (caliper, micrometer, dti) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
G Uncertainty Budget Examples for Caliper, Micrometer and Dial Gauge Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
G Caliper or Micrometer's Dimensional Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
G Manual Procedure with Uncertainty Budgeting for either a Caliper or Micrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Q Using Caliper A to verify Caliper B - Verification of Calibration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T GR&R Data from Caliper Measurements APQP and PPAP 3