Flammability Requirement for Gaskets and Seals - UL 61010-1

occounty

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

We are trying to get our upcoming new product certified to UL 61010-1. Currently we are stuck with the gasket for 8 inches by 15 inches in our product. Is there any specific requirement for the flammability of gaskets/seals? I was not able to find anything specific in 61010-1 standard.

Thanks in advance!

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
It depends on where the gasket is.

Easiest route to compliance is generally containment option in Figure 11, so if you meet clause 9.3.2 (b) then I don't think there should be much on an issue.

What flammability rating does the gasket have?
Is it fitted in any kind of recess, or just sat between two flat surfaces?

occounty

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

The gasket is located in the trace in the polymeric enclosure and the polymeric door both of which are ULV-0 rated. This part of enclosure houses three heaters raging from 10 W to 60 W.

Thanks for help.

occounty

Involved In Discussions
The gasket is in recess.
9.3.2 requires that enclosure and flame barrier of non-metallic materials shall have a flammability of V-1 or better.

Now, in our case the enclosure is rated V-1, but the question is how about gasket? The gasket sits in the recess on the edge of the compartment which happens to be flame enclosure.

Thank you for your support.

Cotas

Registered
Hello, I'm experiencing the same problem. The gasket is UL94 HB but is just a sealing part to achieve the IP65. Is placed in a groove of a UL94 V-0 material.
Is there any specific requierement or can i use this material for the gasket? which text of 61010 standard justifies this?

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
If the slot is not on the base of the product (bottom side of product when installed according to instruction), and not within a 5deg arc as per 9.3.2(c) then it doesn't matter

If it is, then whilst EN 61010-1 doesn't allow for slots in fire enclosure, EN 62368-1 cl. 6.4.8.3.3 allows slots up to 1mm wide irrespective of length - so if the gap between the mating parts of the V-0 material, when seen from the inside of the product are < 1mm when the product is correctly closed and tightened, then I think you should be fine

Top Bottom