Flammability requirements for applied parts as per 60601-1

Hi All,
Looking forward for your valuable inputs
Flammability requirement as mentioned in clause 11.3 of 60601-1 i.e
"The ENCLOSURE, and any baffle or flame barrier, shall be made of metal (except magnesium) or of non-metallic materials, except for constructions according to Table 25 and constructions with a mesh, having a flammability classification of FV-2 (or better) for TRANSPORTABLE ME EQUIPMENT and FV-1 (or better) for FIXED ME EQUIPMENT or STATIONARY ME EQUIPMENT in accordance with IEC 60695-11-10 "

According to the above requirement the flammability requirements are for Enclosure and parts within the enclosure. I need additional information on flammability requirements for any applied part connected to the same enclosure for eg. In patient monitoring device ECG , IBP,CO cables which is not specified in standard.

Should we consider the same flammability requirements as for enclosure?
I noticed in the definition of ENCLOSURE in standard which defines
"exterior surface of electrical equipment or parts thereof NOTE For the purpose of testing to this standard, metal foil, with specified dimensions, applied in contact with parts of the exterior surface made of material with low conductivity or made of insulating material is considered a part of the ENCLOSURE (see Figure 2, Figure 3 and Figure 4). "

Please help.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
Within 11.3, the term ENCLOSURE should always be read as "fire enclosure" which is different to the normal enclosure.

A fire enclosure is always optional. In total there are four options, and designers/test labs usually take the easiest path:

- designate the enclosure as a fire enclosure (test to 11.3)
- do fault testing and prove that a fire does not start (test in 13.2)
- use the general 15VA exclusion (anything circuit under 15VA, e.g. 3A @ 5V is assumed not to have enough energy to start a fire)
- use the 100VA exclusion for secondary circuits, if the wiring/PCBs are flame proof

The details of the 15VA/100VA exclusions are in 13.1.2.

In theory, if the 15VA or 100VA exclusions are used, it should be documented/tested about how the power is limited. However, in practice small electronic circuits like ECG, IBP etc are powered by dc/dc converters that are way below 15W, so it's not really worth the effort and usually not documented.

Hi Peter,

Thank yo very much for your comments , It was very helpful . In summarizing to meet the flammability ratings , either it shall be complying to 11.3 ( flammability requirements ) or to fulfill single fault condition ( 13.1.2 ) along with Risk Management.

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Super Moderator
I think the requirements and criteria are objective, so no need to involve risk management.

I the test report, for completeness:

• In Clause 11.3, in the remarks column state that applied part circuits (ECG, IBP etc.) are covered by the exclusion in 13.1.2
  • In 13.1.2 there should be an associated table for measuring VA of such circuits. In that table, in the supplementary information I would write something like "Applied part circuits (ECG, IBP, Temp etc.) are powered by dc/dc converters that well below 15VA limit. Therefore they are excluded from fault tests associated with flammability hazards and the requirements of Clause 11.3. See table 8.1 for component details of the dc/dc converters."
However, as mentioned before it's such an obvious case that most test labs would not even bother to document this, which I think is OK.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Electronic care product on patient bed side - Flammability requirements (62368-1) Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 0
T Flammability testing Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
P Flammability Testing of Aircraft Interior Materials Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
R GMW 15571 - Flammability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
O Flammability Requirement for Gaskets and Seals - UL 61010-1 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
S MSA (measurement system analysis) on Flammability tester? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
E IEC & UL 60601-1 Plastics Flammability - Guidance on flame-rated plastics usage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
R FMVSS 302 Flammability Testing Certification Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
J Flammability: Testing Burn Rate with Improper Sample Size fmvss 302 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
B Flammability Ratings for Internal Battery & Hand-Held ME Equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
K ISO 3795 FMVSS 302 Flammability - Automotive Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
L Flammability Rating - is FT4 a better rating than FT1? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
D Should all materials used for ME Equipment have flammability of class V-0 or higher? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
P Medical Device Insulated Wire Flammability Classifications FV-1, VW-1 and FT-1 (CSA) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Enclosure Flammability Rating of Molded-In Custom Color Liquid Concentrates IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Flammability EN 1021 - Polyurethane Foam that meets EN 1021-1 & 2 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
M Cal 133 flammability standard - Medical Devices - Stupid Customer Tricks 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
C Flammability of medical textile - any relevant standards? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S What's difference between fmvss302 and GM6090M? Flammability of interior materials Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M Honda Requirement HES C 206 - Flammability specification Customer and Company Specific Requirements 10
B Acquired Medical Device Product Line - Documentation Requirements for Device Master Record ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
D Customer requirements on specific standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
S State Licensing requirements for Medical Devices sold in the US directly to hospitals and tissue banks 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
R PPAP Requirements for Tool Repair or Refurbishment APQP and PPAP 5
I France clinical trial requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Outsourced Internal Audit requirements for Aerospace Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
D Digital Healthcare - QMS requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
M GP-12 procedure form and requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
G How to implement H&S and Quality Control Requirements in Contract for Potential Supplier? Contract Review Process 6
D Customer Specific Requirements / Customer Requirements for Indirect Customers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J Print Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
S Requirements for Certificate of Destruction for Surgical Instruments Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R FAI & P.O. Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 21
W MDD Distributor Registration Requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M FDA Requirements for Investigational Devices - Clinical Investigation & Shipping Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B Requirements for LiPo Batteries in the EU ? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
pbojsen ISO 13485 Requirements versus FDA product classification and GMP exemptions - Audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A MDR - Legacy Device Review Timeframe and Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Translation requirements for the statement referred to in ANNEX XIII of MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D Hand Held medical device - power supply requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7
J Gauge Management - with ambiguous requirements & no support ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
lanley liao How to understand and master the requirements of each section in API monogram product. Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
K ASME, ANSI, ASTM and similar specifications and their requirements for document control. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
Y MDR requirements for Class I accessories EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K IATF audit day requirements table 5.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
C Requirements for distributors under MDR: translation EU Medical Device Regulations 0
D What are the acceptance criteria/requirements for Stability Study? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
P UDI-PI requirements on reusable surgical device, do we need serialisation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Should ISO 9004 be changed from a guidance document to a requirements standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7