Flatness measured to locations of a plane

J

Jeff Chang

Is any specification that defined flatness measured locations for a plane. How many measured points are suitable or it can reduce gap btw supplier and my measurement.
To define same locations may be helping a little be but I am worring about leak significant locations that determine flatness pass or fail.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: Flatness measured locations

A flatness requirement applies to the entire surface indicated on the drawing. If you have a relatively large surface but don't want the flatness callout to apply to all of it, you can highlight the area of interest, and apply dimensions that define the limits of the area.

J

Jeff Chang

Thanks Jim,
Since the drawing did not defined which area of surface that are more important, the drawing call out flatness should apply to all of it.
I would like to ask them folow my measurement.
For example: a welding frame 170'*78' made by 5' rectangle tube as double cross.
First, to visual check frame each straight tube with 40 inch steel ruler. and mark all lower and highest location.
Second, measure those location by laser arm distance btw point to point 10 inch max.
Finally to check any area out of spec locations, add measured point near orignal locations for result confirmation.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

Thanks Jim,
Since the drawing did not defined which area of surface that are more important, the drawing call out flatness should apply to all of it.
I would like to ask them folow my measurement.
For example: a welding frame 170'*78' made by 5' rectangle tube as double cross.
First, to visual check frame each straight tube with 40 inch steel ruler. and mark all lower and highest location.
Second, measure those location by laser arm distance btw point to point 10 inch max.
Finally to check any area out of spec locations, add measured point near orignal locations for result confirmation.
I'm not sure what your size notations mean. In the US at least, you're describing something that's 170 feet x 78 feet, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you mean. In any event, you need to make sure that if flatness is called out in accordance with standard GD&T definitions that you're actually measuring flatness and not something else such as parallelism. It's a good thing to come to an agreement with your supplier on measurement methods, but without being able to see the drawing and the weldment itself it's hard to give advice. The first thing you need to determine is whether the welding fixture and process is capable of doing what you need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hogheavenfarm GDT Flatness measurement question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
F Flatness VS parallelism Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
S Difference between Surface Finish (Ra) and Flatness (GD&T) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
G From an ISO 17025 auditor perspective must micrometer calibration check anvil flatness? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
N Do I need to approach galvanized steel sheet flatness issue with DOE? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
W Standard for Micrometer Anvil Flatness Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
G Caliper or Micrometer's Dimensional Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Flatness Measurement Errors from a Datum - Test Method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Checking flatness with Go and No Go Jig Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Result of a Flatness MSA on a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Measuring Flatness of a Pump Cover General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
N The right method to Measure and Evaluate a Flatness Callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F Reason a plane would have a runout applied and not a flatness callout Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
E Flatness Measurement of Plastic Molded Parts - Clamping / Holding Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Micrometer Parallelism and Flatness Calibration Requirements and Specs General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
G Determining flatness and parallelism rapidly Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q Micrometers to Measure Coating Thickness - Failed Calibration Flatness & Parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
optomist1 GD&T Flatness Automatic Indirect Control Rule #1 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
B Flatness Call Out confusing me - What they are wanting and how to check it? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 42
C Surface Plate Calibration - How to verify the flatness of a granite surface plate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
A Ovality and Flatness generated after Heat Treatment of Rolled Rings Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Inspection Tools for Flatness and Channel Depth of Bipolar Fuel Cell Plates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Techniques for Measuring Flatness General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 37
Z Inspection of Flatness of a part using an electronic device Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
W Warping / Flatness SPC - X bar-R chart - Control is Max 0.15 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
D Flatness tolerances for tempered cold rolled stainless steel coils Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Proud Liberal Flatness / Straightness / Bow specification Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 12
D Optical flats - "FLATNESS INTERPRETATION CHART, Light Wave Band Pattern Guide" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
D Looking for 100% sort testing equipment for overall length, flatness, and parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S What is the best method for checking the flatness of a flexible part? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Cp & Cpk about a diameter measured with min.,max. and average values. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 13
B MSA result on parts measured with a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
H Gage R&R - No Repeats - Parts measured by my company and an outside supplier Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Recording of Measured (Variables) Inspection Data vs. Check Boxes Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 17
R QMS Processes Needed and How are they Monitored and Measured Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 22
S MSA with Non Replicable Samples Measured at Detection Limit Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
A How to Rate a Risk Acceptability and on What Basis is it Measured? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B Addressing Lots that were measured with Out of Tolerance Gage Pins Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
T FAI (First Article Inspection) - How many parts are measured AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B Binomial Chart Typer with n = 1 all solutions measured Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
N Correlation of Gage R&R Value with the Measured Value of Parts Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
D How do you measure a part that changes when measured? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
J Critical Characteristics need to be measured 100% if they are variable in nature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
ScottK Inspecting surface finish on SS on a piece that can't be measured with current equip. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Establishing Thickness Specifications from Measured Data Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
Q How Can Customer Retention be Measured? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 12