Flight Booking Typo Takes Tourist 8,000 Miles Off Course

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Technology can certainly make planning air travel (slightly) easier, but not when you check your common sense and organic brain power at the gate. A twenty-one year old German tourist planned to take a trip to Sydney, Australia, but wound up 8,077 miles off-course -- headed instead for the small oil town of Sydney, Montana, after mistyping his destination into a flight booking Web site. The man didn't notice anything was wrong until he was about to board a flight from Portland to chilly Montana, dressed in summer vacation clothes. Not only did the man trust the website a little too completely, his mother didn't notice the mistake because she trusted her son's techno savvy, saying he was "usually good with computers." Good with computers perhaps -- but apparently not so good at the simple task of actually reading his itinerary...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

Duke Okes

This also indicates a poorly designed website. Had it used graphics to help the user (e.g., a map indicating the route to be taken), the error would likely have been caught.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
This also indicates a poorly designed website. Had it used graphics to help the user (e.g., a map indicating the route to be taken), the error would likely have been caught.
The town in Montana is spelled Sidney (are you listening, Mr. Vianna? :D ) not Sydney, but that had to have been the first of several mistakes, which would have included failure to actually look at the tickets and itinerary. I think that probably a lot of people don't know how to spell "Sydney" but don't wind up in Montana because of it.

B

bgwiehle

...mistyping his destination into a flight booking Web site.
:bonk: Even travel agents make these mistakes. I know of a Texan lady whose tickets took her to Ontario, CA (California) when she expected to go to Ontario, CA (Canada)!

B

blackbird

why have places with the same names any way............we need to blame our ancestors for this one

M

Mr Niceguy

Strangely enough a misdirection involving Sydney and on-line booking has happened at least once before about 3 years ago, but this time it was Sydney Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. A British couple left London Heathrow checked through to "Sydney" via Halifax Nova Scotia. On arrival at Halifax their concerns were only raised when transferring to a small plane that was surely not going on a trans-continental flight. They boarded anyway. The difference with the above case was that they didn't have the funds to continue to Australia. I think the Cape Breton people looked after them though when it made the local news.

harry

Super Moderator
I made a search and found that Sydney is indeed spelt as 'Sidney' in some other language (I guess it's Spanish). Can't blame a German for making that mistake!

T

True Position

Look at it this way, he could have been on his way to Sidney, Nova Scotia.

By the time he'd notice that mistake he'd be in Halifax. :mg:

tyker

Involved - Posts
A few years ago, I was planning a trip to Cordoba, Spain and couldn't find a listing for an airport there so planned the trip using a flight to a nearby city.

My travel agent assured me there was a direct flight from Madrid and issued me a ticket. Fortunately, I spotted that the flight duration was way too long and found the plane actually went to Cordoba, Argentina.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc A 20 Hour Non-Stop Flight - (October 2019) Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
Marc Anniversary of the First Trans-Atlantic Flight 100 years ago - June 2019 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
Marc USA to insist on pre-flight mobe power probe Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
Mikishots Malaysian Airlines Flight Search is Over? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 25
Marc In flight: See the planes in the sky right now ? Interactive Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 7
AnaMariaVR2 What Do Flight Attendants Really Think of You? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 0
somashekar Mangoes ground Air India flight ~~~ Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 1
G Permit to Fly - Is flight testing relevant to our production side? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 6
Sidney Vianna The last four minutes of Air France flight 447 Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 7
Coury Ferguson Airbus A380 Makes it first maiden flight from LAX to Australia Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
N What Defines Flight hardware? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25
Marc Cathay pilot finds that flight stunts aren't so funny in a new era - Flyby Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 5
Stijloor 360 Degree View of the Airbus A380 Flight Deck Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
D What is the Process for CE Marking a Flight Simulator CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
Marc Charter Flight Websites or Services Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 19
Peter Fraser Our local box office's habit of adding a "booking fee" Customer Complaints 14
B CAPA (Corrective Action) For A Typo? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 18
M A PSO is Chrysler - Is PSOMAS a typo? APQP and PPAP 8
C Does a small typo in a procedure require a formal change notice? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
S PPAP 3rd Ed. Typo - Page 7, Section I.2.2.9.3 (Acceptance Criteria for Initial Study) APQP and PPAP 5
Top Bottom