Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

Flow Chart showing Interaction of Core and Support Processes

C

C123456

Hi, i have a transition aduit from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO9001:2008 comming up soon, I am required to do a flow chart showing how the core and support pocesses of my company interact. I am a little stuck with this as I did not do the original flows. I work for a small company and support for quality is minimal!! If there is anyone out there has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks C:)

Re: Interaction of Core and Support Processes

Hi, i have a transition aduit from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO9001:2008 coming up soon, I am required to do a flow chart showing how the core and support processes of my company interact. I am a little stuck with this as I did not do the original flows. I work for a small company and support for quality is minimal!! If there is anyone out there has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks C:)
If you don't mind me asking - what's there to transition? You also should already (under ISO 9K2K) have a description of the sequence and interaction of your processes. Who is asking you for a flow chart? Nothing has changed here. Has your auditor changed?

C

C123456

Hi

Thanks for the reply, the exert below is from an email I got from my auditor, I'm not sure where to start with it, I have a flow chart with just the interaction of our core processes, now I they want me to integrate the support porcess as well. Not really sure where to start with it. I ve attached our existing flow chart. View attachment interaction of the core processes.doc ,

Thanks c

Improvement - On the sequence and interaction of processes I suggest you include marketing in step 2 with Sales and secondly you need to also show how the support and infrastructure processes interact with the core process that you have produced. For example, purchasing; quality, human resources including training, distribution/logistics/planning, information systems etc.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Big question....

Is this a 3rd Party (Registrar/CB) auditor? Was a nonconformity raised?

Stijloor.

C

C123456

Thanks for your reply. Yes its an external audit, We are just trying to get our ISO Cert updated to ISO9001:2008, so in order to do that I had to update the quality manual in accordance with the changes to the standard, I completed that sent it off to the auditor and he come back with his suggested improvments.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

Thanks for your reply. Yes its an external audit, We are just trying to get our ISO Cert updated to ISO9001:2008, so in order to do that I had to update the quality manual in accordance with the changes to the standard, I completed that sent it off to the auditor and he come back with his suggested improvments.
I would dispute this because ISO 9001:2008 contains no new requirements. However, if you used a year designation (ISO 9001:2000) in your Manual, then yes; you either remove the year designation or change it to 2008. As far as the process description (map, etc.) is concerned; if is was OK in 2000, it should be OK for 2008. Now you have a choice to make. I would argue about it. But sometimes, you have to pick your battles....

Stijloor.

C

C123456

Thanks for your help and taking the time to reply, you've definelty given me something to think about...

Caster

An Early Cover
Trusted

... have a flow chart with just the interaction of our core processes, now I they want me to integrate the support process as well. .....
The core processes you have listed are:

1) sales
2) pre installation
3) installation
4) commissioning & customer handover
5) warranty

The auditor suggests you add several other (support) processes as follows

a) purchasing;
b) quality,
c) human resources including training,
d) distribution/logistics/planning,
e) information systems

So, are the 5 core processes shown on your flow chart really the way you run your business? To me this list shows some thought was put into what a process is in your company, and I would have accepted it and audited to see if the business is run that way.

Where did he get the 5 "support" processes list from? Are they also documented in your quality system? These sound more like departments to me, not processes.

One quick way to show the interaction would be to use a "swim lanes" type chart to show where support intersect core processes. If you have to please him, it could be a quick way to go.

Since this requirement hasn't changed from 2000 to 2008, why is this CB auditor now making a deal about this? It must have been acceptable before now, nothing's changed, so push back to the CB management. The auditor is either (now) wrong or was (previously) wrong!

As Caster said, some of these are departments/functions. 'Quality' is not a process! HR is not a process, but as a department it may have responsibility for parts of processes.

Now, maybe you got certified to the 2000 version without a clear picture of the 'sequence and interaction' of the qms processes. It sounds like it to me. This auditor may be on the correct path, but they're going about it the wrong way.....

Top Bottom