Flow charts - Show Me Yours! Systems Approach - Process Mapping

B

Bob Unsworth

Re: Flow charts - Show Me Yours! Systems Approach. Process Mapping!

Hi folks,

I have been asked by a client to map their various processes (they manufacture labels). The intention is to identify areas for improvement to improve their defect/quality issues.

Any ideas for a process map I could use ?

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Re: Flow charts - Show Me Yours! Systems Approach. Process Mapping!

Hi folks,

I have been asked by a client to map their various processes (they manufacture labels). The intention is to identify areas for improvement to improve their defect/quality issues.

Any ideas for a process map I could use ?

Hello Bob,

There's a lot of information here. A good start is to explore this thread: http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=10707

If your intent is to identify areas of improvement, you may want to search: "Value Stream Mapping." A very powerful technique.

See for example: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Value+Stream+Mapping&btnG=Google+Search Lots of good stuff.

Stijloor.

Last edited:
S

SHARON MYNHARDT

Hi All, A big thank you from my side. :thanx: We are busy implementing iso9001 and I was a little unsure where to begin my flow charts. I had an idea but I guess I never had enough faith in myself. Now that I have looked at all the examples available on the cove I am more at ease to begin with my own flow chart for a manufacturing company. Once I have completed my flow chart I will most definitely post the file on the cove for comments. Thanks for the help Sharon "Tiger";)

J

JaxQC

It's bringing up an older but I think still pertinent thread. Here’s a sample that I’ve liked for the manufacturing side. What I like in addition to the INPUT / OUTPUTS (which is a good lead in to the FMEA) is that it also addresses Rework & Scrap. By doing so it lets you address planned rework with proper processing. It also identifies where I expect scrap.
During floor audits I’d be more concerned about scrap found outside of where I expected it. If it’s where I expect then I already have control mechanisms in place to protect the process. This way it helps identify when errors should get continual improvement or an warehouse sort.

Attachments

• Flow sample.pdf
    34.9 KB · Views: 395

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Marc,

Here is a deployment flowchart for the project to develop your process-based management system.

Examples of the core process (needs to cash) flowchart and flowcharted procedures will follow.

John

Attachments

• DEVELOPING A PROCESS-BASED SYSTEM TO MANAGE RISK.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 762

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Marc,

Here is a core process flowchart.

Note how it determines the key processes and shows their sequence and interaction.

The core process flowchart usually starts with determine customer needs and ends with invoicing; but here the filthy lucre is not mentioned (however the system from our eLearning course includes a key process for obtaining prompt payment starting with credit checks).

Key processes are those processes that benefit the organization by being documented for effective planning, operation, monitoring, control and improvement.

A key process flowchart used as a documented procedure will follow.

John

Attachments

• An Architect's Core Process.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 346

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Marc,

Here is a flowcharted procedure.

It shows the interaction of the resources that update the Business Management System as laws, codes and regulations are issued and changed.

The software is Teamflow which is designed for process and project management.

Our clients find it much faster to use and update than the general purpose Visio.

John

Attachments

• Deploying regulations to the system and monitoring compliance.pdf
    15.8 KB · Views: 285
T

tamale

Great post, I am a fan of flow charts.

The one I have included should be read from left to right then down to the next step. Or just go down to the process step concerned with and read left to right. This format speaks well to me.

Sorry, but it's in French. I have translated the top cells so you can get the drift of how it works.

Merci !

Tamale

Attachments

• Audit AAER eng.xls
    179 KB · Views: 395
J

John LM

My first reply...

Impressed by all I have seen; I add a couple of my own points:
a process must describe a domain-specific sequence
of course it must have inputs, methods and outputs
it must address process (functional) logic as well as governance (decision-points) logic
it must be auto-convergent, i.e. it should contain feedback (and even feed-forward) logic, so that the process logically drives the user to the intended purpose (terminal outcome)

In the end, most processes need to link up with some other (external) process to fulfil business continuity, and these "off-links" must also be shown

Top Bottom