Flow Solder Control Chart - I believe I need an Xm-R chart

C

Chris May

Good Morning everyone,

It is nice and sunny here in Bristol, England.
The birdies are singing and all is well...(yeah right!)

I am looking to apply process control to our three wave/flow soldering systems.

There is a lot to do here, so I am taking it in small chunks.
The first area I am looking at are the temperature related elements which are the preheaters and the solder pot itself.

I want to generate a control chart to monitor the temps of both on each machine. Readings will be taken morning and early afternoon.

Presently, I am collecting readings of each every 30 minutes so that I can use these samples to generate the UCL & LCL values

The two daily readings would obviously be entered onto the control chart and as long as they stay within the limits, or we get a trend of plots, everything will be wonderful.

I have used simplistic control charts in the past, but having read up on the various types in more detail, I believe I need an Xm-R chart.

Would I be correct or is there a better chart type that I could use.?? :confused:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Rick Goodson

Chris,

I think you are on the right track. I have used Individual X and Moving Range charts to track wave solder machines and they work well. I believe however, you may want to reconsider your morning and afternoon sample times. I would look at the results of the study you are doing every 30 minutes before deciding how often to do the ongoing sampling. Once you see the variation in the machine you may want to sample more often.

Regards,

Rick

C

Chris May

:bonk:
Absolutely Rick and thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have been taking sample temps for nearly 2 days now. The two newer machines are Ok as you would expect. The USL & LSL for pot temp is 250 +- 5 degs and so far it looks as though the actual control limits will be within these bounds. In this case, obviously USL & LSL are based on the manufacturers spec.

The older machine however..:ko: :vfunny: :frust:

The temps for pot & preheat are wildly variable........but it is 17 years old.

These will not be within the SL's and so this machine will prove itself to be incapable (??!!)

My next steps for the other elements of the wave solder systems will be to "weigh" the flux deposition (known clean galss plate before and after fluxing) and compare to the manufacturers coverage per sq/cm spec (USL & LSL). Samples will lead me to the CL's for said systems.
The others will be conveyor speeds and wave heights. Not much thought gone into that as yet.

The Surface Mount lines will be interesting, though. Have you any thoughts to share on the approach to a Surface Mount line or two ??:smokin:

R

Rick Goodson

Chris,

Sorry, I have no experience with surface mount lines. Hopefully someone else can offer a thought or two.

A passing thought on flux density. We monitored flux density and cleanliness the same way we did tool wear. While we did top off the flux as required, when the flux reached the alarm limit we would dump the flux and replace it with new material.

Best of luck with the rest of your project.

Regards,

Rick

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G New CAPA Work Flow with Revised 8D Approach Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
M Proper method to test flow of a regulator Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
qualprod What is the Normal Flow in an ERP for Manufacturing? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
K Vigilance process flow chart EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Ronen E Tolerance intervals (?) question - Flow Rate Probability Range Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
8 Creating Flow and Pull Game Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
S Improving Quality inspection gate in one piece flow manufacturing process Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
M What are the differences between "Process Flowchart form" and "Process Flow Diagram form"? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Air Flow - Which is the operational difference between LAF (vertical and horizontal) and RLAF? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
A Tubing Clog Tester - Convert from Air Bubble to Flow Rate Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
A How a test flow can be build for a car electronic sunroof control Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
R Cascading (Flow Down) Customer Specific Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Process Flow diagram steps for inspection and packaging APQP and PPAP 4
B AS9102 Supplier Flow Down Method AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
N Dataset for Academic Research - Infusion pump flow IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J ITAR flow down to Processors (Outsourced Processes) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
G In-House Calibration of Gas Flow Meters General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M ISO 9001:2015 Compliant Recruitment Flow Chart Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
K Which Symbols are used in Process flow diagrams? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
C Flow Meter calibration for mixed gases Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 1
T ITAR/EAR relationship and Flow Down to Suppliers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Limitation of lateral flow immunoassay Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
A AS 9100 - Risk Management Procedure and Flow Chart examples AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Flow meter for medical device application Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A Can the BOM in SAP be used in lieu of process flow diagram? APQP and PPAP 7
S How can I make a Process Flow Diagram for APQP process Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Software for linking Process Flow Diagram, Process FMEA and Control Plan APQP and PPAP 9
R Irradiation Sterilization Dose Setting and Dose Audit Flow Charts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
S Is 0.1 micron monitoring required for ISO Class 5 Laminar Air Flow unit ? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
A IEC 60601-2-24 Question: Free Flow Clamp on Set? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Controlling Flow Charts that are hung in workplace. Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
D ISO 9001 Design Process Flow Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Ron Rompen Document Flow Chart Assistance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Calibration procedure for Bubble Gas Flow Meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Relationship between Diameter and Flow Rate & the Length Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
N How Can I Simplify This Process Flow? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
R ISO/TS 16949:2009 Questions related to Work Flow IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S US FDA PMA (Pre-Market Approval) Process Flow Chart Example Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
S Flow or Procedure to generate a "Pflichtenheft" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
A 8D Process Flow IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Process Flow Diagram -> PFMEA -> Control Plan Linkage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17